How to make DFI more popular

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHASH2K2

why do international members come here looking for confrontation, or to defend their countries?

a healthy forum environment should attract international members for positive reasons, not negative ones.
If I am corerct International members means chinese . Maximum number of chinese members I ever saw here was after chinese J20 launch. did they all come here to confront or to show off ?

Last edited:

Agnostic_Indian

Country flag
bring diversity of opinion that is what needed. Pakistani and Chinese members are to be welcomed.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
It should be compulsory for every Indian to read this forum once a week and try to gain some knowledge about there country.

Im sure all of you have seen one time or the other when ignorant Indians were making jokes about India and putting it down, this trend increases when they are infront of foreigners or in another country. Somehow they think by bashing there country they are separate from it. Once they were making jokes in front of foreigners that Indian satellites come down crashing like diwali rockets within minutes of launch...this was when that nasa satellite was about to crash on earth last month.

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
The Indian guys on PDF are already lost imo, there's no way we can bring them out of their comfort zones.
We can get new guys to sign up but can't be sure if they'll post or not.
No Pakistani member would ever join a "sane" Indian defense forum where he won't be allowed to derail a thread highlighting Pakistani weakness.
There are good Chinese posters here.
Disagreements are healthy as long as they don't deteriorate to mud slinging and personal attacks.
DFI is addictive, specially the shout box, get new members on the Shoutbox and you'e got them hooked for life.
A lot of Indian guys are there on Youtube, DFI could make a channel and advertise through there, the quality would be compromised though.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
It should be compulsory for every Indian to read this forum once a week and try to gain some knowledge about there country.

Im sure all of you have seen one time or the other when ignorant Indians were making jokes about India and putting it down, this trend increases when they are infront of foreigners or in another country. Somehow they think by bashing there country they are separate from it. Once they were making jokes in front of foreigners that Indian satellites come down crashing like diwali rockets within minutes of launch...this was when that nasa satellite was about to crash on earth last month.
Make DFI popular by making it compulsory? I don't think so.

Speaking of ethnic jokes, in my lifetime in America I have heard jokes about Irish, Italians, Poles, Scots, French, Jews, Africans, Puerto Ricans, Chinese, Japanese, Native Americans... not one about India or Indians. What's wrong with you people? :)

pmaitra

Speaking of ethnic jokes, in my lifetime in America I have heard jokes about Irish, Italians, Poles, Scots, French, Jews, Africans, Puerto Ricans, Chinese, Japanese, Native Americans... not one about India or Indians. What's wrong with you people? :)
I guess we all need to learn to laugh at ourselves once in a while. :)

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

Nothing wrong with us.

de todo ha de haber en el mundo

If you have not heard about Indian jokes try Russel Peters

Last edited by a moderator:

pankaj nema

Country flag
DFI has some inherent limitations
We have to accept that

Our forum offers content that is mid way between BR and the Enemy forum

BR is technically very strong .

And their Religious ,historical and political sections are quite frank
They are NOT politically correct at all

The enemy forum has a lot more " masala " or spice . You have to be teflon coated there not to get angry

Members keep joining here but the number of active posters is around 100
and even the guests I feel are members who have come to look what is going on but will log in only when they want to post

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
When I joined this forum back in '09 I thought it was the driest, most boring forum on the Internet.

We have a lot more masala now thanks to refugees from enemy camp, I guess.

p2prada

A 46 minute version of the same guy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
DFI threads on religion, history and politics is free and frank.

However, it is true that religion bashing is not quite favoured. Unlike most forums, we have a vibrant mixed religious representation amongst posters (and even Mods) and hence have to be careful that the forum does not become a proselytism plank/ platform.

captonjohn

Country flag
Make profile page more beautiful with more features so that DFI user can motivate to share his DFI profile in facebook, twitter etc. If profile page is good and will have a lot of feature then user would love to share it among all channels.

captonjohn

Country flag
I can design profile page but can not code it. If it works then I may be available for help.

johnee

To make DFI a pure defence related forum is a recipe for disaster. Very few laymen are intrested or educated in technical defence matters. So, the forum must be an India related forum that is the destination for all things that concern India.

The strength of BR is that it is an out and out Indian forum. The forum takes a pro-active stance and tries to challenge the present status-quo(anti-indian part of it). It presents the indian view and celebrates it. Eg: they went ahead and named the pakistan as terrorist state. When they did it, the world was hyphenating the pakis with indians. But today, the whole world views pakis as terrorists. BR was bold and frank in its indian perspective. It is this stance that is unique. We cant find many sites that give this view. So, BR is relevant and popular. It is this factor that attracts the paki lurkers also.

Paki fora thrive on trolling and flame wars. With india's general success and pak's failure, indians have a lot to show off to the pakis. So, this stance is working for pak fora. Indian fora cannot hope to replicate this strategy because pak is in mess, so pakis are not very enthusiastic about coming on to the india fora. Indians want to play with pakis. Since, pakis dont come to indian fora, indians go to paki fora.

There are two ways of attracting pakis:
a) the indian forum must become dhimmi(appeasers). The challenge is with plummeting fortunes of pakis, dhimmi-ness would have to proportionately increase. The forum would become popular with pakis. DFI tried this path, but only mildly. For this tactic to be success, forum needs to go all the way like con party goes all the way to appease the muslims.
OR
b) the indian forum must cater to the indians who want to bash pak and mock pakis. The pakis would be forced to join the forum to defend their honour. This tactic is actually working for the paki fora. This tactic can work for indian fora also. The proof is that pakis try to join BR. We have seen how people rushed to defend fake paki forum.

There are 2 ways to attract indians:
a)provide them paki trolls to bash. This is done by paki fora.
b)provide them a platform to mock pakis. This is done by BR.

DFI's strength is it provides a platform to civilly discuss any topic. The forum itself is mostly neutral.

Those asking for strict moderation, dont know what they are asking. We have lived through that age and it was not good.

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
That is right that it can't be a totally defence forum since the posters do not have first hand knowledge of matters military.

If a forum takes a 'either you are with us or you are against us' attitude, then it will merely be a soliloquy. It would not add to knowledge or give an overall perspective of issues, even if it warms the cockles of the heart of jingoism.

Take the case of the Chinese posters as an example. I will not mention the names, but there are two fine posters. While they do not compromise on their national prestige, they are frank in pointing out the flaws in their country and even give why it is so and how it is being rectified. I think they are doing a great service for their Nation, where Indians are learning about China and even smoothing the corners of 'anger' against China. Compare them with the others who behave like belligerent people whose posts are totally disregarded by many. They however contribute too. They add to the number of post and visits! But, nothing constructive to inform about China, even though it is fun to have them around or else life would become dull and boring.

Of course we must have fun, a bit of pleasant bantering on the forum but then with fun and bantering, we should also have contribution that is informative so that we learn as also build bridges. Mere pro India jingoism may not achieve that aim.

And it is true that unlike other forums mentioned, this forum appears to have gentlemen at the helm wherein there is less interference from the Moderators, very few banning and a variety of views being allowed without any forum agenda or hobby horses being its raison d'être.

We do hope we attract more gentlemen around this world of ours!

I remember this quote:

Each person has inside a basic decency and goodness. If he listens to it and acts on it, he is giving a great deal of what it is the world needs most. It is not complicated but it takes courage. It takes courage for a person to listen to his own goodness and act on it.

I presume DFI Admins and Mods are exhibiting that courage!

Last edited:

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
As this is a DEFENCE forum, I request the MODS and ADMINS to open a SUB-FORUM on DEFENCE recruitment and tips on interviews like SSB, exams like the UPSC and CDSE. This may be helpful for DEEFENCE ASPIRANTS and may also increase the ASPIRANTS to join the DEFENCE SECTOR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles