How the U.S. can punish Pakistan (Forbes)

Adux

Country flag
The "outsourcing to India" part sounds good, but I'm not sure if our policymakers are up to it.

If we decide to make a real push towards acting as an intermediary between Iran and the US, it might well be possible!
i am sure we can come up with some ingenious ways along with Iranians to give them plausible deniability. What do they want in return? Just money, How would Saudi Arabia react. Iran and India is the key.

Adux

Country flag
Gentlemen i have a thought and would like to know your opinions on it..

We dont have a land border with afghanistan yet.. so there is no question of land route..
however if we liberate captured kashmir, we would get a border with afghanistan.. this would open whole central asia..we have civilizational and economical relations with afghanistan, tajikistan and other central asian republics..

navy chief has said that india is like an island state becoz we are landlocked by hostile china and pakistan..
this gives another reason for us to liberate captured kashmir..

however that area is mountainous with little infrastructure so it will take some years before we can start trading from that route...
Ever heard of Pak Nukes

Param

We dont have a land border with afghanistan yet.. so there is no question of land route..
however if we liberate captured kashmir, we would get a border with afghanistan.. this would open whole central asia..we have civilizational and economical relations with afghanistan, tajikistan and other central asian republics..

navy chief has said that india is like an island state becoz we are landlocked by hostile china and pakistan..

however that area is mountainous with little infrastructure so it will take some years before we can start trading from that route...

:namaste:Than you for your opinion. I will try to convey your valuable suggestion to our military planners.

Galaxy

Country flag

Everyone knows what you said. Indeed, Gilgit-Balistan will be very important for us.

But that question is HOW ?? Easier said than done. I think there is already a dedicated thread started by Yusuf. Do read that.

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
It is War, and is the most expensive as you have mentioned. It is also the most expensive for India too, I expect the Pakistani's to use the Samson option, even if remain completely and utterly neutral. This might not be a good idea, unless Pakistan is de-nuked.
Yup, the Samson's Option is everybody's worst nightmare. That includes Israel and India.

The threat of nuclear strike will not be for the Americans, Pakistani's cannot reach them, it will be on the Indians.
The threat will be on US formations in Afghanistan. Pakistan can very much reach them.

Adux

Country flag
The threat will be on US formations in Afghanistan. Pakistan can very much reach them
In a nuke showdown with the US, Pakistan knows it is already lost, There is no doubt they would launch at the Americans in Afghanistan, and any amount they can throw at India. US-Pakistan war is extremely dangerous for India.

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
All routes are possible. I'd dare say Pak will be forced to keep it's radars tuned to "star tv" than shoot at American planes. Solving the Iran question is the key. Sets India free as well to have normal ties with the Iranians and not having to please the US once in a while or suffer like we have on the issue of oil payments.

Balochistan is an option but it's something that can be worked only in the long run not tomorrow or day after. You just can't split a country in a week. The process could have been initiated long back if the US had realized where the real WoT had to be fought.

CAR is very expensive. It's better to airlift from Jammu.
Pakistan can always dress up it's soldiers as "Mujahideens" or Taliban and fire a few Stingers (US-made) towards the airlifted aircrafts en route from India to Afghanistan. 2-3 such hits and the US media will crucify the administration.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Pakistan can always dress up it's soldiers as "Mujahideens" or Taliban and fire a few Stingers (US-made) towards the airlifted aircrafts en route from India to Afghanistan. 2-3 such hits and the US media will crucify the administration.
I will be quite happy with that as the focus of the war will shift to Pakistan and that area (PoK) which is the hotbed for terror against india will be pummeled by the US.

The sissies in the US have to make way for the ones with the balls to call a spade a spade.

pmaitra

Few things to note:
  • The US has a strong intelligence network in Pakistan. That is what helped them find OBL.
  • US transporters can fly over Gilgit-Baltistan and I doubt that Pakistan will try to shoot them down.
  • I believe the US is already looking at Baluchistan and could try and play its cards well so that Pakistan's attention is diverted there. That way, either they will focus on Baluchistan or let go off it whereby US will have easy transit to Afghanistan.
  • The local population in Gilgit-Baltistan is anti-Pakistan and many of their leaders are pro-India. It would not be difficult for India to foment an uprising like the Mukti Bahini there. The US will support it because they would rather their goods were transported through India held territory than Pakistan held territory and they have their own interests there.

ejazr

Ambassador
Until the US reduces its military footprint and withdraws its soldiers, nothing dramatic is going to happen. The reason being that even now 50% of its supply lines are going through Pakistan. Once the military foot print is down to a few thousand soldiers, the US may bump up its military options. But given the past history, I doubt it.

Rather than military options, its more likely that US would use soft options like withdrawing aid or applying sanctions rather than special ops or bombing raids. Besides, the drones in any case allow the US to take out target at will in the FATA region including N. Waziristan.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
If and when the US withdraws, the Doctrine of Expanding Torrents will occur a la Afghan mode?

Therefore, thought has to be given as to how the Void will be plugged before the Taliban backed by Pakistan takes over leading to the chaos of the earlier phase of the Taliban regime.

Afghanistan has hardly had a centralised regime as is seen elsewhere. Karzai is still notional and that too because of the might of the US, as was the other Presidents who appeared in power because of the Soviet might.

If there is a void, the satraps will break into fights for ascendancy.

There is still no indication that the US will quit the Bagram Base. They have not quit in Iraq the largest US Base outside continental US.

pmaitra

For superpowers, there is nothing that can force them to withdraw other than their own people and their own economy. This is what happened with the USSR, the same thing, if at all, will have to happen with the USA. In pure military terms, there is no way the US will withdraw. Now, with minerals being found there, there is more reason for the US to stabilise that region, get companies to invest and make money out of it.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
.....and give the required fillip to the US economy!

pmaitra

.....and give the required fillip to the US economy!
And guess what Ray Sir, a secure land transit route will help in transporting minerals out of Afghanistan. :)

Reactions: Ray

Adux

Country flag
It is very premature to talk about Afghanistan and its minerals. As of now, US wants to win against Taliban and Al-Qaeda. Pakistan or no Pakistan.

Neil

Country flag
It is very premature to talk about Afghanistan and its minerals. As of now, US wants to win against Taliban and Al-Qaeda. Pakistan or no Pakistan.
Adux bhai...its not premature...those minerals can help US sustain war for decades together...its what people cal war profiting....those minerals can refund the entire WoT in Af-iraq...

Last edited:

Adux

Country flag
Adux bhai...its not premature...those minerals can help US sustain war for decades together...its what people cal war profiting....those minerals can refun the entire WoT in Af-iraq...
Unless it comes out of the sand, it means nothing. There are oil all accross the world, but very few oil that can be drilled or used.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
India has signed a Pact with Afghanistan on Mining.

I take it that the GoI would have made arngs to ensure that such a pact is not mere hot air, since much is at stake including India's reputation of putting their money where their mouth is.

As far as the US is concerned, if they smell money in the sand, their conglomerates will home in and the Republican will back any proposal so long as it fills the coffers from Hell and back!

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles