How much longer can russia hold out against china

Vladimir79

Professional
Far Eastern Russia (i.e. Siberia) contains only six million Russians because it is very cold during the winter with temperatures around -40 degrees Celsius. I think Far Eastern Russia is too cold to support any sizable human population. Just my two cents.
Exactly, you don't see people complaining about how underpopulated Alaska is.

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
Far Eastern Russia (i.e. Siberia) contains only six million Russians because it is very cold during the winter with temperatures around -40 degrees Celsius. I think Far Eastern Russia is too cold to support any sizable human population. Just my two cents.
I guess your numbers are correct , but even if the weather is pretty cold , you might agree there's still no harm trying to increase the population eh ?? i mean one way or another !!:blum3:

ppgj

china does not mind whether it -40 degrees or a place where nothing grows (aksai chin). they just want to add territories left, right and centre.

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
all their neighbours need to take note of that

china does not mind whether it -40 degrees or a place where nothing grows (aksai chin). they just want to add territories left, right and centre.
That's an observation which has validation in reality , all china's neighbours need to be more aware of it.

In the context of this particular thread though i do hope the russian and allied members of this forum would be aware and comment.

they should need more than the 6 million at present

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
Even if not territories, it wants a submissive Russia, so it could have as little trouble as possible, when energy-wars will be fought for the Arctic (and its reserves).

Vladimir79

Professional
From a military perspective, the low population of the Far East is not a hinderance. In fact, the more sparsely populated it is the better to hinder an invasion. The less people there are requires less infrastructure. Without a major highway network PLA would have a hard time moving armies into our territory.

The only concern we really have is the illegal immigration of Chinese migrants coming to find work. If the trend continues to grow we will see protest marches like Latinos in the US have been running demanding more rights and amnesty. Worse case scenerio is they might try to start a seperatist movement.

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
separatist movement for chinese illegals in kamchatka

From a military perspective, the low population of the Far East is not a hinderance. In fact, the more sparsely populated it is the better to hinder an invasion. The less people there are requires less infrastructure. Without a major highway network PLA would have a hard time moving armies into our territory.

The only concern we really have is the illegal immigration of Chinese migrants coming to find work. If the trend continues to grow we will see protest marches like Latinos in the US have been running demanding more rights and amnesty. Worse case scenerio is they might try to start a seperatist movement.
that's exactly it . One way or another ( for them the ends justify the means ) they will gradually use one method or another to try to justfy right to the territory . A good defence would be to have a larger population than the present mere 6 million. But as you imply , not too large, because might be a good idea to be able to ship 'em out of harm's way if warranted.

Vladimir79

Professional
that's exactly it . One way or another ( for them the ends justify the means ) they will gradually use one method or another to try to justfy right to the territory . A good defence would be to have a larger population than the present mere 6 million. But as you imply , not too large, because might be a good idea to be able to ship 'em out of harm's way if warranted.
Problem with trying to increase the population is not only weather but providing infrastructure, jobs, housing, and all the services that go with growth. The only reason anyone moved out there was military related. All the Jews that moved to the Jewish automous oblast left for Israel years ago. Putin tried to get ethnic Russians from near abroad countries to immigrate out there with little success. The last time I went to Vladivostok I noticed how bad the roads are, they are nothing but pot holes and traffic jams. So many people have Jap cars but no place to drive them, it is silly. They only recently recieved broadband connections in Khabarovsk which is the biggest city out there. There really is nothing we can afford to do to get people to move. It would cost tens of billions in creating jobs and infrastructure just to make the incentive worth it.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Oil can be a good enough reason to get people there. Lots of it in those areas.

Vladimir79

Professional
Oil can be a good enough reason to get people there. Lots of it in those areas.
Most of the oil is located off of Sakhalin and that population is booming. 10% of the Far East is located there. Talk about a traffic jam. Few roads but everyone has a car. If Japan thinks they are getting that back they are living in a dream world.

Country flag
vladimir ,Nehru said the same thing when he lost Aksai Chin but the real danger is any territorial gains by the chinese may not stop there.

Vladimir79

Professional
vladimir ,Nehru said the same thing when he lost Aksai Chin but the real danger is any territorial gains by the chinese may not stop there.
Unllike India, we do not limit ourselves to a no-first strike policy. If Chinese troops are crossing our borders and we are unable to stop them by conventional means, we will nuke them and they will cease to exist. Looking at recent history, you should know we don't take shyte from anyone.

arya

Country flag
hi

guys its not about russia its about india we have to make our self more stong

yes russia also thinking about china but they dont take direct action or role

they know very well india is the first target not russia so we have to think for our self

jai hind

Vladimir79

Professional
hi

guys its not about russia its about india we have to make our self more stong

yes russia also thinking about china but they dont take direct action or role

they know very well india is the first target not russia so we have to think for our self

jai hind
It isn't directly about Russia or India... it is about what China is going to do. Looking at Russia as a case study is the best example one can find. Not to learn from history is begging to repeat its mistakes.

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
Is Sakhalin under dispute too or only 2 of the 4 Kuriles ?

Most of the oil is located off of Sakhalin and that population is booming. 10% of the Far East is located there. Talk about a traffic jam. Few roads but everyone has a car. If Japan thinks they are getting that back they are living in a dream world.
Well it's good news inst it that the Sakhalin population is booming, so the vast oil reserves that russia has is turning out to of more use than originally expected or planned. Perhaps that holds hope for the other parts of their far east too .

But on a side note i thought only 2 of the 4 Kurile Islands were being disputed by Japan. I wasnt aware that Sakhalin Island was under dispute too ?

Vladimir79

Professional
Well it's good news inst it that the Sakhalin population is booming, so the vast oil reserves that russia has is turning out to of more use than originally expected or planned. Perhaps that holds hope for the other parts of their far east too .

But on a side note i thought only 2 of the 4 Kurile Islands were being disputed by Japan. I wasnt aware that Sakhalin Island was under dispute too ?
Japanese maps still have half of Sakhalin marked as grey territory still in dispute. Once oil was found in the ninties radicals in Japan's government have been pressing to get it back including the 4 Kurils. As it stands now we are still in a state of war with Japan since neither of us signed the treaty.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Siberia too isn't it. Once the oil industries boom, allied industries boom. It has a ripple effect.

Vladimir79

Professional
Siberia too isn't it. Once the oil industries boom, allied industries boom. It has a ripple effect.
We haven't dug new wells since Sakhalin in the ninties. We have been rexploiting old wells with new technology to increase production. The reason we have not tried opening new wells is the cost of extraction of harder to retreive finds. The current wells we have is enough for now since we outproduce SKA but we have plenty of places to look that will be profitable with the newer extraction technologies. Western Siberia is pretty much exploited, Eastern Siberia is open as well as the Caspian and Arctic reserves. We signed the $25 billion energy deal with China so we can exploit those resources.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
We haven't dug new wells since Sakhalin in the ninties. We have been rexploiting old wells with new technology to increase production. The reason we have not tried opening new wells is the cost of extraction of harder to retreive finds. The current wells we have is enough for now since we outproduce SKA but we have plenty of places to look that will be profitable with the newer extraction technologies. Western Siberia is pretty much exploited, Eastern Siberia is open as well as the Caspian and Arctic reserves. We signed the $25 billion energy deal with China so we can exploit those resources.
Lol that answers the question of the thread. Use Chinese money to dig oil wells and settle people in that region to stave off any chinese aggressive expansion!!!

Martian

Respected Member
I find it odd that people keep thinking that millions of Chinese want to move into a cold and barren Siberia. It's like saying that millions of Americans want to move to Montana. Montana is roughly the size of Texas. Montana's population is under one million. As far as I know, people live in Montana to raise cattle.

It's actually quite impressive that six million people want to live in Siberia/Russian Far East. I'm willing to bet that if America was in control of Russia that you couldn't find six million Americans to live in that frozen wasteland.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles