How India brought down the US' supersonic man

Param

OT: "East Pakistanis" never joined Pakistan in '47. East Pakistanis (i.e. the Bengalis) were the ones who made Pakistan. The demand for Pakistan in West Pakistan (today's Pakistan) was never as strong and it is the British who forced the partition. The Pashtuns never wished to join Pakistan (the largest Pashtun political movement, the Khudai Khidmatgar were opposed to the partition and wanted to remain with India; they were arrested and jailed by first the British than the Pakistanis, and the so called referendum never really took place in Pashtun areas, as it had the lowest turnout rate in the country, less than a quarter of the people voted). The Baloch, to this day despise Pakistan and never wanted to be a part, they too were forced into the country. In greater Punjab, the Unionist Party ruled for more than a decade and was in a coalition with the Congress Party aswell as the Akali Dal. Although the party started to wane towards the Muslim League, their power in Punjab still depended on the coalition with Congress and Akali Dal, and the unionists were opposed to the partition of Punjab. They kept Jinnah and Muhammad Iqbal's popularity out, and told them to "keep their noses out of Punjab". It was Jinnah's "direct action day" which he devised for the Hindus, Sikhs and Muslims to start killing each other which reshaped the politics of Punjab on religious lines, and brought the downfall of the unionists. The Muslim League would have been nothing had it not been for the support of the Bengalis. It was the only place where the Muslim League derived its power from, and gave it a launching pad for the Pakistan movement. So in reality, it is the West Pakistanis who got their country because of the Bengalis, who they started discriminating against and killing.
I think you are right. I know that initially the Muslim league had its base in east Bengal but later Jinnah and the Pakjabis hijacked it.

All I meant was the East Pakis were fools to not realise the domineering attitude of the Pakjabis and the Pakjabi dominated Army.

As for the British forcing the Partition , Mountbatten was a Moron. I doubt he had any descent knowledge of India's Demography.
Churchill hated Indians but his knowledge about India was pretty good.

lemontree

Professional
This is a Beechcraft like Yeager's.

When your Indian pilot hero destroyed it, it was on the ground

This is a Bf-109.

Chuck Yeager shot down 5 of these in air combat.

I hope you all can appreciate the difference.
No one is trying to take away Chuck Yeager's WW2 valour, the incident was mainly to indicate the reaction by Chuck Yeager when his aircraft was destroyed. He has behaved in a biased manner, and has misused his heroic status in the western world to peddle false air battle victories attributed to the PAF. That makes him a small man with no moral fibre. He could not take it that his team was clobbered.

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
Really? Chief of the Naval Staff Admiral Arun Prakash (while a pilot lieutenant) destroyed Yeager's civilian Beechcraft on the ground. Yeager shot down 5 Bf 109s in air combat. When I get a chance I will post a picture of a Beechcraft and a Bf 109 so you all can see the difference.

Chuck Yeager - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The chest-thumping by Prakash is too pathetic for words. The title of the subject article is absurd and reflects badly on India, in my opinion.

Here is another pygmy with an opinion of a man many times better than himself.

The right stuff in the wrong place - Chuck Yeager's crash landing in Pakistan | Washington Monthly | Find Articles
I had seriously never heard of Chuck Yeager before this article.

When Yeager discovered his plane was smashed, he rushed to the US embassy in Islamabad and started yelling like a deranged maniac. His voice resounding through the embassy, he said the Indian pilot not only knew exactly what he was doing but had been specifically instructed by the Indian prime minister to blast Yeager's plane. In his autobiography, he later said that it was the "Indian way of giving Uncle Sam the finger".
Even if you take sensationalist overtones from this paragraph out, it does present a picture of how Mr.Yeager wanted US to intervene in the conflict for a petty(personal) reason and hence I compared him to Nixon. I was not contesting his accomplishments, I am not qualified to do so; I merely commented on what I observed.

pankaj nema

Country flag
Pakistanis must be feeding him the purest of ganja and charas
That is why he became a devoted Pakistani

What I dont understand that how can such a so called GREAT man loose his MIND so utterly
on his plane being destroyed ; that he wanted Nixon to attack India directly

And he was just 48 YEARS of age in 1971 That is NOT the age to LOOSE your mind

Just another Stupid fellow who was only lucky to have been the first man to break the sound barrier

Breaking the sound barrier doesnt make you a genius Mr Chuck

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
No one is trying to take away Chuck Yeager's WW2 valour, the incident was mainly to indicate the reaction by Chuck Yeager when his aircraft was destroyed. He has behaved in a biased manner, and has misused his heroic status in the western world to peddle false air battle victories attributed to the PAF. That makes him a small man with no moral fibre. He could not take it that his team was clobbered.
Well said. :thumb:

Even if we leave aside for a moment, his egoistic rage over his aircraft being destroyed as 'collateral damage' in the war, his post-war pom-pomming makes him worthy of disrespect.

I get that Yeager was an advisor to your enemy and gets only disrespect from India.

The disrespect has nothing to do with being an 'advisor' to Pakistan. lemontree has put it well. He misused his heroic status in the Western world to peddle false air battle victories attributed to PAF. And even after the war was over, he let his visceral hatred for India come in the way of his writings, talks, speeches - whatever.

Is this chap still alive? This man remains an enemy of India, and will remain so, till he retracts his pathetic biased false and poisonous propaganda that he indulged in post-71, and makes it clear that he peddled falsehoods as a result of his bias against India and to get some petty personal vengeance for the loss of his fishing plane.

Make no mistake, till he does that, as an individual he remains an enemy of India. The day he gathers the moral fibre to do that (it will require him to be able to sufficiently curb his king-size ego), he will not be "disrespected" anymore.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
I had never heard of him before this article :shocked:, sounds like a Nixon mini-me.
You never heard of Chuck Yeager? Or you never heard of anti-Indian Chuck Yeager?

Pakistan had a 3:2 kill ratio on the IAF, not even close to 3:1.

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
You never heard of Chuck Yeager? Or you never heard of anti-Indian Chuck Yeager?

Pakistan had a 3:2 kill ratio on the IAF, not even close to 3:1.
1971 War India slaughtered Pakistan into two pieces tally India:1 Pakistan:0

Indianboy

Country flag
I just don't understand why the US and other west nations support PAK...of what use it is???:confused:

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh

Pakistan withdrawn after 1971 humiliation, Britain and France refused to join in Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia conflict.....SEATO was a flop.

Rage

DFI TEAM
OT: "East Pakistanis" never joined Pakistan in '47. East Pakistanis (i.e. the Bengalis) were the ones who made Pakistan. The demand for Pakistan in West Pakistan (today's Pakistan) was never as strong and it is the British who forced the partition. The Pashtuns never wished to join Pakistan (the largest Pashtun political movement, the Khudai Khidmatgar were opposed to the partition and wanted to remain with India; they were arrested and jailed by first the British than the Pakistanis, and the so called referendum never really took place in Pashtun areas, as it had the lowest turnout rate in the country, less than a quarter of the people voted). The Baloch, to this day despise Pakistan and never wanted to be a part, they too were forced into the country. In greater Punjab, the Unionist Party ruled for more than a decade and was in a coalition with the Congress Party aswell as the Akali Dal. Although the party started to wane towards the Muslim League, their power in Punjab still depended on the coalition with Congress and Akali Dal, and the unionists were opposed to the partition of Punjab. They kept Jinnah and Muhammad Iqbal's popularity out, and told them to "keep their noses out of Punjab". It was Jinnah's "direct action day" which he devised for the Hindus, Sikhs and Muslims to start killing each other which reshaped the politics of Punjab on religious lines, and brought the downfall of the unionists. The Muslim League would have been nothing had it not been for the support of the Bengalis. It was the only place where the Muslim League derived its power from, and gave it a launching pad for the Pakistan movement. So in reality, it is the West Pakistanis who got their country because of the Bengalis, who they started discriminating against and killing.
This is the most cogently written post about the partition I have ever seen. Kudos!!

Nagraj

you jumped the gun buddy :)
i hope you see reason. and yeah you are more mature then this :)
God speed :)
Ingraham is a nobody trying to get attention by nipping at the ankles of a hero. Absolutely pathetic.

noob101

I just don't understand why the US and other west nations support PAK...of what use it is???:confused:
There are many reasons why and it is beneficial to India that the west keeps spending a lot of money trying to keep Pakistan from total collapse, It is the west the tries to keep a civilian government in Pakistan which is much easier to deal with than a military regime. Rather than some fundamentalist nutjob from the Army it is much better to deal with corrupt civilian officials that will have some degree over the nuclear arsenal.

Indianboy

Country flag

Pakistan withdrawn after 1971 humiliation, Britain and France refused to join in Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia conflict.....SEATO was a flop.
yeah...but now the world has moved 4rd...i don't see any significant role pak can play, (but they can be an evil supporter (china and terrorists)...May b they don't know the ugte suraj ko pujna chahiye theory (india in this case)...

pmaitra

If the East "east Pakistanis" had brain they would have never joined Pakistan in '47. This is what happens when countries are created solely on the basis of Religion.
East Pakistanis never joined West Pakistan, rather, it was the other way around: the very idea of Pakistan and Muslim League was born in East Bengal and the West Pakistanis thronged into the cavalcade and Jinnah happened to be the leader during partition. ;)

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles