How important is Hindi????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Param

According to 2001 estimates by Times only 226,449 Indians use English as first language, and 125,000,000 use it as an additional language. Going by these estimates 11.38% of Indians can communicate in English. But it doesn't take into account the proficiency and other social factors. Later studies have put the actual number at somewhere around 7-8%, some put it at as low as 2%, none go above 12%. You can find several sources on this topic over net.

In fact Hindi has expanded it's base in India and no part of India has been left untouched. I was astonished to hear several people in neighborhood speaking in Hindi, including people from Bangladesh, Nepal, Bhutan and Sri Lanka. Hindi is not a language of business, its a language of masses.

Those who have spent their whole life in metros easily forget the fact that more than 70% of Indians still live in villages, where there is no craze to learn English and display the excellent grasp of the language of masters.

My personal experience at IIT Kharagpur, where the official language of communication is English and most of the masses are highly educated, is that if you don't know Hindi, you can kiss your social life and any potential to make friends goodbye. Two foreign students (One from Singapore, another one from Germany) in my department learned to speak fluently in Hindi because they wished to be a part of the whole bunch.

List of countries by English-speaking population
It is Definitely Not 2%.
I do not know how large our IT/ITES workforce is but if you add that to a large number of class1&2 Govt officals, convent school kids, college students from an English medium background the Number will be larger.

Not every body can be fluent or proficient in English. But that does not mean they cannot speak English.A woman who used to clean toilets in my wokplace was able to speak in English. With more training and practice she would have been eligible for a call centre job.

Last edited:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
First of all can u Provide the source that English is spoken or understand by onlyyyy 2% Indians. I never said people don't speak there local language at there home .but it is not necessarily that is Hindi. In my case I speak Punjabi at home
you acceptor like it or not English is more important than Hindi today in India if you dont speak or understand English trust me u will be more likely to be isolated in Indian society we are not discussing that how many people understand English or Hindi. Q is, Hindi has lost its charm and status in our society.
Source not required i am telling you, English is best at office work and parties in Gov or Private organization mostly where English is preffred over Hindi, But when at streets anywhere in India, Hindi is preferred over any language when travel to different states or living within the community..

70% plus those educated in state or Hindi medium are non English speakers and dont understand clear English, Hindi suits all over country, In south only few states where Hindi is not way of communication by local and English..

In Bengal or Even Punjab many PRTC buses use Punjabi and Hindi not English, Its really hard for tourist to Rome alone unless he have a guide or Experience..

It is Definitely Not 2%.
I do not know how large our IT/ITES workforce is but if you add that to a large number of class1&2 Govt officals, convent school kids, college students from an English medium background the Number will be larger.
I think its say First language English..

amitkriit

It is Definitely Not 2%.
There is a difference between "Using a language" and "Speaking a language". There are 350 million English users in China, perhaps same number of Indians use the language, but that doesn't make it a language of communication. Being street smart is more important than writing smart reports, documents and codes at workplace. Just ask those IT/ITES workers how many of them speak English in their daily life to communicate with their families and friends and most importantly with the guys on streets.

Blackwater

According to 2001 estimates by Times only 226,449 Indians use English as first language, and 125,000,000 use it as an additional language. Going by these estimates 11.38% of Indians can communicate in English. But it doesn't take into account the proficiency and other social factors. Later studies have put the actual number at somewhere around 7-8%, some put it at as low as 2%, none go above 12%. You can find several sources on this topic over net.

In fact Hindi has expanded it's base in India and no part of India has been left untouched. I was astonished to hear several people in neighborhood speaking in Hindi, including people from Bangladesh, Nepal, Bhutan and Sri Lanka. Hindi is not a language of business, its a language of masses.

Those who have spent their whole life in metros easily forget the fact that more than 70% of Indians still live in villages, where there is no craze to learn English and display the excellent grasp of the language of masters.

My personal experience at IIT Kharagpur, where the official language of communication is English and most of the masses are highly educated, is that if you don't know Hindi, you can kiss your social life and any potential to make friends goodbye. Two foreign students (One from Singapore, another one from Germany) in my department learned to speak fluently in Hindi because they wished to be a part of the whole bunch.

There is a distinction between speaking a language and using it. Most of the Indians who have at least a basic knowledge of English are English users, and not English speakers, and that includes me.
we are not discussing how many speaks Hindi on daily basis as Campare to English. look at the tittle of this thread. Hindi is not imp today that the bottom line, u like it or not...

Blackwater

Source not required i am telling you, English is best at office work and parties in Gov or Private organization mostly where English is preffred over Hindi, But when at streets anywhere in India, Hindi is preferred over any language when travel to different states or living within the community..

70% plus those educated in state or Hindi medium are non English speakers and dont understand clear English, Hindi suits all over country, In south only few states where Hindi is not way of communication by local and English..

In Bengal or Even Punjab many PRTC buses use Punjabi and Hindi not English, Its really hard for tourist to Rome alone unless he have a guide or Experience..

hope u can read angrazi with local language punjabi. Bare isz hindi phaaji???

Param

There is a difference between "Using a language" and "Speaking a language". There are 350 million English users in China, perhaps same number of Indians use the language, but that doesn't make it a language of communication. Being street smart is more important than writing smart reports, documents and codes at workplace. Just ask those IT/ITES workers how many of them speak English in their daily life to communicate with their families and friends and most importantly with the guys on streets.
The fact is they speak English.It does not matter where they speak.

Besides I disagree with you. I my self have communicated with people in English even though the conversation could have been carried on in my mother tongue.
There are plenty of people who do use English even outside their workplace.

Last edited:

Blackwater

There is a distinction between speaking a language and using it. Most of the Indians who have at least a basic knowledge of English are English users, and not English speakers, and that includes me.

You are giving data of 2001, Jago mohan payare. India change a lot since 2001

Blackwater

babubosae i can't see hindi on ur bangal buses too

even pilot is written in english lolll

Last edited by a moderator:

threadbrowser

Speaking of Bangalore, Kannada is essential. English is best for career but to live in the city you need to speak in the local language.
I have had auto drivers in Rajajinagar grab my shirt collar and threaten to beat me up until i spoke in Kannada and convinced them i was not from the north.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
All you inferior Indians with inferiority complex should keep quite.

Why?

Because Tamil is the best language in India. WTH!!

Blackwater

Speaking of Bangalore, Kannada is essential. English is best for career but to live in the city you need to speak in the local language.
I have had auto drivers in Rajajinagar grab my shirt collar and threaten to beat me up until i spoke in Kannada and convinced them i was not from the north.
nobody deny that sir.local language is important were u live along with English. thread is about "How imp is Hindi" answer is not that imp simple

threadbrowser

nobody deny that sir.local language is important were u live along with English. thread is about "How imp is Hindi" answer is not that imp simple
I was making the point that as far as the south is concerned Hindi is as foreign as English and less useful. Far better to learn Telegu/Tamil/Kannada/Malayalam

To south indians hindi is the uncivilised language of the teeming overcrowded masses of the gangetic plains and a clear and present danger to their way of life.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
The fact is they speak English.It does not matter where they speak.

Besides I disagree with you. I my self have communicated with people in English even though the conversation could have been carried on in my mother tongue.
There are plenty of people who do use English even outside their workplace.
This practice reeks of an inferiority complex. I also have to indulge it in.

A.V.

Ok please listen here , dont make this thread , this is better than that we are just discussing IMPORTANCE OF ONE INDIAN language

peacecracker

hope u can read angrazi with local language punjabi. Bare isz hindi phaaji???
Here is a weird thing:
In Cochin/Kochi nearby areas(Perumbavoor,Aluva,Muvattupuzha etc),KERALA Buses Ply with Hindi Boards JFI. this is because of large number of migrant workers from north India.

Blackwater

I was making the point that as far as the south is concerned Hindi is as foreign as English and less useful. Far better to learn Telegu/Tamil/Kannada/Malayalam

To south indians hindi is the uncivilised language of the teeming overcrowded masses of the gangetic plains and a clear and present danger to their way of life.
This is wat i was trying to explain in my previous post. Hindi is not that imp

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
babubosae i can't see hindi on ur bangal buses too

even pilot is written in english lolll
Same thing in our place kake..

Btw, It differs from bus to bus but the point is many dont use English..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles