How important is Hindi????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koovie

I have some cousins studying in germany. They will finish the school with the highest german secondary school graduation. They want to come back to India after school to study (economics) and to find a job, However they dont speak Hindi but Malayalam Englsih and German, one of them a bit french too. How necessary is Hindi in cities like Bangalore to find a job? Does anyone have personal experience ?

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Nope, you don't need to know Hindi to get a job.

On a side note, Bangalore is really full mate, please ask them to chose another city :) :)

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
They should confine themselves to the South so that they understand the locals and the locals understand them.

Even in a job unofficial interaction is in the vernacular and so they will be lost in the North or the East.

Also they will have to visit the markets, mall, restaurant etc, and at these places, knowing Hindi or the vernacular become necessary.

Last edited:

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
French and German in India is like Martian and Pluto... He will be a fish out of water me being a Tamalian when i went outside TN to study in Bangalore i found it very hard to live without Hindhi.

So yes Hindhi is very important and so i English but it wont be hard, they can learn it in a year or two.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
French and German in India is like Martian and Pluto... He will be a fish out of water me being a Tamalian when i went outside TN to study in Bangalore i found it very hard to live without Hindhi.

So yes Hindhi is very important and so i English but it wont be hard, they can learn it in a year or two.
Dude, Bangalore has more Tamilians than Kannadigas!!

Koovie

I agree that i will be difficult in daily life, but is there chance to get a good job with a german education and language skills, especially in german companies like bosh or bmw? do you know such people`?

Param

I agree that i will be difficult in daily life, but is there chance to get a good job with a german education and language skills, especially in german companies like bosh or bmw? do you know such people`?
I think Bosch and BMW are in Chennai. So in Chennai you don't need to know Hindi.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
Dude, Bangalore has more Tamilians than Kannadigas!!
Hostels and collages r full of northies..moreover tamils r not a majority, just 20% it looks large becoz they speak tamil where ever they go.

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
Language for the sake of communication, in Bangalore you will understand Hyderabadi urdu and communicate back in Hindi and people will understand, the same applies in the whole of India, knowing the local language is an added advantage specially for sales and marketing jobs.

An understandable medium of communication is important not necessarily a pure Hindi for the sake of communication.

Last edited:

peacecracker

If they Know Malayalam(Obviously has Sanskrit content) - They will be at ease learning Hindi by Watching TV or Bollywood Movies :D
Picking Up Hindi is not a tough thing. 3 or 4 months is enough for casual Hindi(URDU it is).

ot: Urdu or Hindustani is what actually is called "Spoken Hindi".

Koovie

Thx for the replies. But is it the same situation in universities and colleges??

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Thx for the replies. But is it the same situation in universities and colleges??
In bangalore, all colleges have a mixed crowd. English is the medium. You will be fine. For education and job you don't need to know Hindi, English is a must. To live in India knowing Hindi and/or the local language is required.

Blackwater

90% of south India dont speak or understand Hindi. North Indian wants to show off so they don't speak Hindi. In India u need to know English to get jobs not hindi. Hindi is just a subject in schools now...

p2prada

I have some cousins studying in germany. They will finish the school with the highest german secondary school graduation. They want to come back to India after school to study (economics) and to find a job, However they dont speak Hindi but Malayalam Englsih and German, one of them a bit french too. How necessary is Hindi in cities like Bangalore to find a job? Does anyone have personal experience ?
If they have lived in Germany all their life, they will want to go back the first week they come to India. Bangalore has the best weather of all the metros. If they are ready to sweat it out, then any city is fine. Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, Hyderabad, Bangalore or Pune is fine. But keep in mind all these cities are hell compared to any city in Germany.

Best is to have them graduate with a degree before thinking about leaving the country.

Malayalam is excellent for Bangalore and English is more than enough as you will find plenty who will understand the language. German, not so much. Beware of auto drivers fleecing you.

How necessary is Hindi in cities like Bangalore to find a job?
Very necessary if they want to teach Hindi. Not required anywhere else. :p

p2prada

Depends on how good their grasp on the English language is. If their English is passable, then they will not find a problem fitting in.

If their German and French is strong, then they could very well move to Tahiti, it wouldn't matter.

If their Malayalee is strong, then you will find them in the first Mallu gang(in a good sense) in the college/class. They like to stick with each other for some reason. Expect a healthy big of ragging in that case. But Bangalore is quite safe when it comes to college ethics.

amitkriit

90% of south India dont speak or understand Hindi. North Indian wants to show off so they don't speak Hindi. In India u need to know English to get jobs not hindi. Hindi is just a subject in schools now...
Wrong info. I never ever had problem when I used Hindi as the language of communication anywhere in India (Except Tamilnadu). Reach of English in India is overblown, primarily due to media hype and our zeal to get associated with the west. Less than 2% of India can speak English and that's the fact, understanding A-Z doesn't qualify as understanding English. U will completely loose your social life if you don't speak or understand local language, Hindi is the second best option if you don't wish to feel isolated.

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
If they're learning Hindi from scratch, they might as well learn Kannada instead, if they want to go to Bengaluru.

Phenom

From my personal experience one needs, Kannada, Tamil/Hindi, English (in that order) to get by in Bangalore.

If you get out of the city, Tamil and English would not be much help, there only Kannada and to some extent Hindi can help.

Blackwater

Wrong info. I never ever had problem when I used Hindi as the language of communication anywhere in India (Except Tamilnadu). Reach of English in India is overblown, primarily due to media hype and our zeal to get associated with the west. Less than 2% of India can speak English and that's the fact, understanding A-Z doesn't qualify as understanding English. U will completely loose your social life if you don't speak or understand local language, Hindi is the second best option if you don't wish to feel isolated.
First of all can u Provide the source that English is spoken or understand by onlyyyy 2% Indians.

I never said people don't speak there local language at there home .but it is not necessarily that is Hindi. In my case I speak Punjabi at home

you acceptor like it or not English is more important than Hindi today in India

if you dont speak or understand English trust me u will be more likely to be isolated in Indian society

we are not discussing that how many people understand English or Hindi. Q is, Hindi has lost its charm and status in our society.

Last edited by a moderator:

amitkriit

First of all can u Provide the source that English is spoken or understand by onlyyyy 2% Indians.

I never said people don't speak there local language at there home .but it is not necessarily that is Hindi. In my case I speak Punjabi at home

you acceptor like it or not English is more important than Hindi today in India

if you dont speak or understand English trust me u will be more likely to be isolated in Indian society

we are not discussing that how many people understand English or Hindi. Q is, Hindi has lost its charm and status in our society.
According to 2001 estimates by Times only 226,449 Indians use English as first language, and 125,000,000 use it as an additional language. Going by these estimates 11.38% of Indians can communicate in English. But it doesn't take into account the proficiency and other social factors. Later studies have put the actual number at somewhere around 7-8%, some put it at as low as 2%, none go above 12%. You can find several sources on this topic over net.

In fact Hindi has expanded it's base in India and no part of India has been left untouched. I was astonished to hear several people in neighborhood speaking in Hindi, including people from Bangladesh, Nepal, Bhutan and Sri Lanka. Hindi is not a language of business, its a language of masses.

Those who have spent their whole life in metros easily forget the fact that more than 70% of Indians still live in villages, where there is no craze to learn English and display the excellent grasp of the language of masters.

My personal experience at IIT Kharagpur, where the official language of communication is English and most of the masses are highly educated, is that if you don't know Hindi, you can kiss your social life and any potential to make friends goodbye. Two foreign students (One from Singapore, another one from Germany) in my department learned to speak fluently in Hindi because they wished to be a part of the whole bunch.

List of countries by English-speaking population

There is a distinction between speaking a language and using it. Most of the Indians who have at least a basic knowledge of English are English users, and not English speakers, and that includes me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles