How free is Pakistan Occupied Kashmir compared to Indian Kashmir?

Mikesingh

Professional
Country flag

This is a map representing Freedom in the World 2016Index by the Freedom House. As you can see the countries in green represent free countries, orange represents partly free and purple represents not free.

INDIA = Green = Free

J&K = Orange = Partly free

PAKISTAN = Orange = Partly free

POK = PURPLE = Not free

NO REPRESENTATION IN PAKISTAN NATIONAL ASSEMBLY/SENATE

“Azad Kashmir” and Gilgit Baltistan are federally administered territories with no representation in National Assembly or Senate of Pakistan.

While J&K is represented by 6 Lok Sabha Members and 3 Rajya Sabha Members.

LOOKING AT THE ELECTION AFFIDAVIT SUBMITTED BY CANDIDATES STANDING IN “Azad Kashmir”, Elections 2016

FORM I - Official Website Azad Jammu & Kashmir Election Commission

This is the exact words of the affidavit submitted by the candidates standing for election in the state of Azad Kashmir provincial elections.

(Declaration by the person nominated) I,……………………………..…… son/daughter/wife of …………………………registered as an elector at Serial No. ……………………………………… in the electoral roll for ………………………...... electoral area/ward** in ……………………….. Tehsilin ………………………………………...…………. District do hereby declare that I haveconsented to the above nomination and that I am not subject to any disqualification for being, or being elected as a member of the Legislative Assembly and in particular I solemnly declare that I believe in the Ideology of Pakistan, the Ideology of State‟s Accession to Pakistan and the integrity and sovereignty of Pakistan.

Dated …………………….

Signature or thumb impression of the person nominated.

LOOKING AT THE ELECTION AFFIDAVIT SUBMITTED FOR NOMINATION TO THE POST OF PRESIDENT OF “Azad Kashmir”

FORM I - Official Website Azad Jammu & Kashmir Election Commission

(I) I am a Muslim and believe in the Unity and One-ness of Almighty Allah His angles, the Books of Allah, the Holy Quran being the last of them, His Prophets, the absolute finality of the Prophet hood of Mohammad (peace be upon him), the Day of Judgment, and all the requirements and teachings of the Holy Quran and Sunnah and that I am not the follower and one who claims to be a Prophet in any sense of the word or of any description, whatsoever, after Prophet (peace be upon him) and that I do not recognize such a claimant to be a prophet or a religious reformer nor do I belong to the Qadiani or Lahori Group or call myself as Ahmadi.

(II) I have consented to my nomination and that I am not subject to any disqualification for being, or being elected as President. In particular I solemnly declare that I believe in the Ideology of Pakistan and the Ideology of State‟s accession to Pakistan.

Signature or thumb impression of the person nominated

Date…………………

So, that is the status of freedom in Azad Kashmir. A person has to be a Muslim to hold any office in AJK. He needs to declare that he is not an Ahmedi or Lahori or Qadiani. He needs to declare his belief of State’s accession to Pakistan.

Pakistan is a theocratic state and the first Islamic country in the world even before Saudi Arabia or Iran. Azad Kashmir is no different.

Sure people may have grievances in Kashmir Valley against the Indian state but that does not warrant independence. These grievances have arisen due to failure to completely implement the constitution in its spirit due to extraordinary circumstances created.

DIFFERENCE BETWEEN FREEDOM AND INDEPENDENCE

The Kashmiris are demanding Independence which is unfortunately taken to be same as that of freedom. Independence is to be free of external control and take all decisions of the land on our own. While freedom is to have the capacity to express one’s opinion, movement, choice of work, choose one’s religion and have own beliefs without the fear of the establishment.

eg. Saudi Arabia is independent but its citizens especially women are not free.

Scotland is not independent but its citizens enjoy the highest levels of freedom.

Freedom is guaranteed to Kashmiris under the Constitution of J&K though it might not have been implemented in its true sense. So, if Kashmiris seek freedom they should try to get rid of the conditions which prevent full implementation of the constitution of their own state.

Even partial independence in the form of Article 370 is also guaranteed. But if Kashmiris seek Independence, they should ask themselves the following questions:-

1. What will their territory comprise of? Will it be only Kashmir Valley/Jammu + Kashmir Valley/Jammu + Kashmir Valley + Ladakh/Indian J&K + POK/ Indian J&K + POK + Chinese Occupied Kashmir.
  2. What type of government do they seek to form? Whether it will be democracy/autocracy/dictatorship/absolute monarchy or the worst theocracy.
  3. Will their be any place for Kashmiri Pandits who have lived on the land for 5000 years along with Ladakh’s Buddhists or Jammu’s Sikhs.
  4. Will they offer compensation to those people in their land who do not wish to be a part of Independent Kashmir and allow them safe passage to either India or Pakistan whatever country they wish to ultimately reside in or will they be slaughtered?
So, before meaninglessly shouting “Azaadi” on the streets of Kashmir, they should first ask themselves what does “Azaadi” means in its real sense?

https://www.quora.com/

My take.....

Reasons why an independent Kashmir is not viable.

1) Located in one of the most unstable regions in the world in terms of terrorism.

2) Could only set themselves up for an invasion from any one of possibly 3 neighboring countries.

3) Independence doesn’t guarantee stability.

4) Independence doesn’t guarantee safety.

5) A predominantly Muslim nation could fall prey to an extreme form of Islam and set up a strict Sharia Law society like the TTP/ISIS aim to establish.

6) Not economically viable since there are no industries or natural resources. Agriculture and tourism cannot sustain a country’s economy. Investors would think twice before investing in a land locked country. Independence doesn’t guarantee economic prosperity.

7) How would the country even generate tax income in an area that has no resources?

8) How would they find resources for raising an army for internal as well as external threats? A minimum of three divisions would be required and probably an indep armored brigade. Cost? At least $ 10 billion! Where is the money? Or where would it come from?

9) Kashmir is predominantly rural and makes nearly all of its paltry income from agriculture in a region as rocky as the Himalayas. There won’t be much money available to sustain a government in Kashmir and have enough funds for education, infrastructure, healthcare, defense, etc. It would not be able to fund such projects with the limited sources of income without running up monstrous debts which would quickly cripple the economy of the nation, scaring away investors, resulting in perpetual poverty, and finally resulting in a collapse.

At present India sinks into Kashmir almost Rs 50,000 crores a year ($9 billion) on subsidies, aids and grants. How would an independent Kashmir sustain itself without this enormous amount being pumped into Kashmir’s economy every year? Would Pakistan be able to lend this enormous amount annually as aid? Probably China? No way!

I would love to get a counter point to this from the separatists who spare no effort in vilifying India and hankering for an independent Kashmir.

What do you guys think? Is an independent Kashmir viable?

3deffect

Country flag

Seven-Year-Old Kashmiri Kickboxer to Compete at World Championship

Mikesingh

Professional
Country flag
Here's more! Kasmiri children win medals at the world championships!

How about Kashmiri youngsters in POK? Getting trained in their kind of sports, such as terrorism and suicide bombers, by Yahoos such as Hafiz Saeed, Masoor Azhar and Salauddin!!

Last edited:

3deffect

Country flag
Here's more! Kasmiri children win medals at the world championships!

How about Kashmiri youngsters in POK? Training for becoming terrorists and suicide bombers!
its shows major diffrence between kashmir and POK there is lot more but i dont want to spam here so everyone knows how much kashmir ppl enjoying their life in india..
like kashmir people get Rations(food) in lowest amount...
goverment doing lot for them

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles