How Dhaka sees the Modi juggernaut

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
Modi has the knack of turning gravity to opportunity. What if he passively starves Bangladeshis first, and gives the entire nation an offer it can't refuse (entry into the Indian union)? Will people of Bangladesh vote against entering the Union in a free and fair referendum?

Granted, adding 150 million Muslims into the Indian electorate is never a good thing for the BJP and the Sangh, but if it consolidates the Hindu vote elsewhere (as exit polls are showing,) then the party can absorb the disturbance in India's demographics.
Getting 150 million Muslims into the Indian nation at this point (let alone electorate, I am talking about nation) - is suicide. Collective, national suicide. Enough. Let us not have too much lateral thinking.

Energon

DFI stars
Ambassador
Country flag
Modi has the knack of turning gravity to opportunity. What if he passively starves Bangladeshis first, and gives the entire nation an offer it can't refuse (entry into the Indian union)? Will people of Bangladesh vote against entering the Union in a free and fair referendum?

Granted, adding 150 million Muslims into the Indian electorate is never a good thing for the BJP and the Sangh, but if it consolidates the Hindu vote elsewhere (as exit polls are showing,) then the party can absorb the disturbance in India's demographics.
I don't think anyone's interested in joining an Indian union. Considering most Indians themselves are robbed of their rights and freedom, it is illogical to expect anybody to take Modi up on this hypothetical offer.
Akhanda Bharat is nothing more than a joke.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
All the so called secular parties are protecting these illegal immigrants as their vote bank.

Sent from my A99 using Tapatalk
That's actually BS. You will have to explain to me how someone who is illegal can vote for starters. :lol:

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
That's actually BS. You will have to explain to me how someone who is illegal can vote for starters. :lol:
Oh wow, this has to be the most naive statement I have ever come across. Please tell me you're doing this on purpose, trolling him.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag

What if Modi starves Bdesh and then shuts off water to Pak.
We can get back Akhand Bharat.
And then we can declare all the new muslims illegals and not give them voting rights ? :lol:

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
Well I do not know what Bangladeshi people think about Modi.However here is what people in our "non political" JU think about Modi.This was from a senior in JU.I think BD people will think in a similar way about Modi.

(P.S. I have no opinion on Modi and I am neutral. I neither support nor condemn this image.)

Last edited:

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Getting 150 million Muslims into the Indian nation at this point (let alone electorate, I am talking about nation) - is suicide. Collective, national suicide. Enough. Let us not have too much lateral thinking.
Partition with hindsight was one of the best things to have happened. Why would anyone want to reverse it ?

I have no intention of living with Pakistanis. Anyone who dreams of this ought to live in Bradford for a day.
I have no intention of living with Bangladeshis. Anyone who has been to Bricklane would understand this.

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
Just for the heck of it, let's brainstorm:

Pros:
  • One fewer nation for US and China to needle India with
  • Super-highways and railway lines crisscrossing Bangladesh, connecting North East with the rest of the country
  • One added city with GDP comparable to Kochi (Dhaka), and one added port (Chittagong)
  • Better trade with Burma
  • No more Siliguri bottleneck
  • Bengalis are easier to de-Wahabize and brought back into the mainstream (it's how they rejected West Pakistan's Wahabi-noose from clouding genuine economic deprivation, and stood up for their separation)
  • Added natural reserves
  • Cheaper labour overall in India, could help an export-based industrial revolution
  • Mmmm...Bengali sweets
Cons:
  • Could hopelessly backfire, strengthen sickularist vote-banks of parties who seek votes by painting progressive parties as boogiemen
  • Could dilute Hindu cultural influence (but also result in a cosmopolitan one)
  • Could threaten Hindu Bengalis, dilute their numbers
  • Labour-class Benglis of all kinds (including those of Indian West Bengal) could be indiscriminately persecuted against in other states, fueling a future "Bengali nationalist movement"

Last edited:

Energon

DFI stars
Ambassador
Country flag
Call me communal, call me a bigot, call me a frothing-in-the-mouth-nationalist...
As you wish.

However the rest of your rant is entirely out of scope (and largely incoherent). I made absolutely no mention of "goody-goody stuff like "universal values, liberalism, secularism, etc." I did however talk about the pressure of trans border migration in the aftermath of globalization. This topic has been studied in depth in various models around the world. Admittedly a lot of this information comes from books, but I'm not sure if merely referring to evidence based arguments makes me a "textbook preacher", it merely makes me a person who posits facts.

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
Partition with hindsight was one of the best things to have happened. Why would anyone want to reverse it ?

I have no intention of living with Pakistanis. Anyone who dreams of this ought to live in Bradford for a day.
I have no intention of living with Bangladeshis. Anyone who has been to Bricklane would understand this.
I'm not sure. If "secular" political parties are accurately representing the aspirations of Indian Muslims, then I'm having a tough time finding a difference between them and Pakistanis/Bangladeshis.

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
Just for the heck of it, let's brainstorm:

Pros:
  • One fewer nation for US and China to needle India with
  • Highways and railway lines cris-crossing Bangladesh, connecting North East with the rest of the country
  • One added city with GDP comparable to Kochi (Dhaka), and one added port (Chittagong)
  • Better trade with Burma
  • No more Siliguri bottleneck
  • Bengalis are easier to de-Wahabize and brought back into the mainstream (it's how they rejected West Pakistan's Wahabi-noose from clouding genuine economic deprivation, and stood up for their separation)
  • Added natural reserves
  • Cheaper labour overall in India, could help an export-based industrial revolution
  • Mmmm...Bengali sweets
Cons:
  • Could hopelessly backfire, strengthen sickularist vote-banks of parties who seek votes by painting progressive parties as boogiemen
  • Could dilute Hindu cultural influence (but also result in a cosmopolitan one)
  • Could threaten Hindu Bengalis, dilute their numbers
  • Labour-class Benglis of all kinds (including those of Indian West Bengal) could be incrementally persecuted against in other states, fueling a future "Bengali nationalist movement"
  • Bengali main-course sucks (I broke up with a college crush just over the kind of food her family ate when they invited me over).
More cons: massive poverty stricken masses. BD is no Singapore or Switzerland. Natural resources very limited. Hardly worth the name. Floods and malaria stricken landmass, not attractive at all. Massive addition to Muslim population makes the likelihood of another partition and civil war, constant riots very likely. Cosmopolitanism? More likely sharia enclaves!! Not just vote-bank, as serious as civil war. With right economic policies, 5 cities with GDP of Kochi can be added to India within 10 years. BD has nothing to offer except problems and trouble.

Elimination of chicken's neck is the only possible positive outcome. Weighted against the cons, the overall proposal makes no sense.

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
As you wish.

However the rest of your rant is entirely out of scope (and largely incoherent). I made absolutely no mention of "goody-goody stuff like "universal values, liberalism, secularism, etc." I did however talk about the pressure of trans border migration in the aftermath of globalization. This topic has been studied in depth in various models around the world. Admittedly a lot of this information comes from books, but I'm not sure if merely referring to evidence based arguments makes me a "textbook preacher", it merely makes me a person who posits facts.
As long as you recognize the historical context of partition and understand where I'm coming from when I say that we can welcome people of dharmic faith, but not a single Muslim from BD/Pak, we're on the same page.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
I'm not sure. If "secular" political parties are accurately representing the aspirations of Indian Muslims, then I'm having a tough time finding a difference between them and Pakistanis/Bangladeshis.
I am not able to get you.
What do you mean by "secular" political parties ?

PS: Indian Muslims are not a monolith.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
As long as you recognize the historical context of partition and understand where I'm coming from when I say that we can welcome people of dharmic faith, but not a single Muslim from BD/Pak, we're on the same page.

@Energon is talking about migration in a globalized world.

You are talking about being okay with migration (illegal or otherwise) only if its done by non-muslims.

Last edited by a moderator:

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
I am not able to get you.
If Indian Muslims are being accurately represented in the kind of arguments political parties are coming up with to demerit the BJP.

What do you mean by "secular" political parties ?
You know, the likes of Congress, JDU, SP.

PS: Indian Muslims are not a monolith.
They're not, but they've been told that Modi is their boogeyman, and voices within Muslims that disagree are quickly shunned.

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
@Energon is talking about migration in a globalized world.

You are talking about being okay with migration (illegal or otherwise) only if its done by non-muslims.
That is not at all what I am saying. For your and @Energon's benefit:

There is a difference between migration and asylum. Hindus and followers of other dharmic religions from BD/Pak are free to apply for asylum in India. They will be permitted if they are the target of oppression and discrimination in their home nations. They will have to eke out a living in India, they cannot expect dole.

Muslims from Pak/BD are not entitled to asylum, nor are they entitled to migration and job opportunities in India.

Clear? Agreed? Or do you @Energon disagree?

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
@tarunraju

You shot your argument in the foot.

A religious group of 150million cannot be accurately represented by political rhetoric esp of parties whose ideological persuasions are not religious.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
@Bangalorean

What is your criteria for giving asylum ? Just them being non-Muslims ?

In case of BD easier for India to intervene and force their govt to act.

abhi_the _gr8_maratha

Country flag
well a person of nationality of bangladesh have no right to walk in india unless they have passport
@Singh sir, don't you are exaggerating the meaning of globalisation , even western doesn't let anyone come in their territory unless they carry a passport and don't you know the state of muslims at american airports so simply we should not let bangladeshi to walk in india unless they carry passport
we already have 1.21 billion population to care for and there people will add poverty and number of beggars and those outside politician will give them food security and all subsidies instead of indians who actually deserves them

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles