How can Indians be comfortable speaking english?

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
As a question...
Does urdu and hindi have a lot of difference?and what exactly is the difference?if i say that a urdu speaker and hindi speaker are the same u will agree?
Khalis Urdu and Shudh Hindi have a difference, but are mutually intelligible.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Most of Delhi's punjabis are from West Punjab? What the hell are you smoking? That makes no sense. You're saying they all migrated from Pakistan during partition. That's hard to believe.
I don't smoke, I vape, brah.

nirranj

Country flag
I can speak Tamil well and I can speak in lengths without using English words (many Tamils use English words spontaneously while speaking in Tamil).

But, Well I cannot write Tamil without Spelling mistakes. I Can speak tamil well because of my own interest, but the English Medium education which I had from Kinter Garten to university ruined my grip on writing in Tamil.

The biggest problem is many find it difficult in finding well paid jobs if they dont know English. and for some reason entrepreneurship has completely decreased.

Free Karma

I agree that all Indian languages and Sanskrit are way above any language of the world.

In India, we are still squabbling over a 'national' language.

Hindi, is not the national language, it is only the 'official' language and thanks to Bombay films has acquired the status informally as the 'link' language.

In fact, the most harrowing part is that if one is proficient in his regional language, he still cannot get a job outside his State.

Now,. what do you suggest that is to be done?[/QUOTE

Hmm...have you seen what happened in the Philippines. They had a similar issue,..there were many languages spoken in the islands, but they needed one default language, so they setup a commission that would create a language from all of them, and today it's used by all. Wonder how it would be if we did this :D

I'm quite surprised that they made it work there, are people not as connected about their native languages? Atleast as far as TN I totally see it not being accepted(what! the new language has only x tamil words, but y words from hindi,...that means we are lower! burrrn! :p)

Ankit Purohit

Country flag
Hate to be that guy, but that sentence alone was a mishmash of three languages. :D
श्रीमान
कृपया करके रक्षा भारत मंच पर हिंदी भाषा का धागा बनाने की अनुमति दे |

मैं तीन भाषाओं का उपयोग करने के लिए माफी माँगता हूँ |
जय हिंद

nirranj

Country flag
In fact, the most harrowing part is that if one is proficient in his regional language, he still cannot get a job outside his State.

Now,. what do you suggest that is to be done?
Getting a job outside his state is more linked to ones skill and experience in any particular trade.

There are many North Indians who work in factories, hotels etc in TN (not mentioning the IT guys). many dont know Tamil or English (except basic numbers and metric terminologies) and their employers don't know Hindi. Now tell me how they are managing to work together???

Same for Many workers from TN who go to work in Karnataka or kerala or Andhra. Many Borewell Rigs from TN go to other states and many even venture as faf as Rajasthan. Those who work on these machines dont know Hindhi and many even don't know english. Now how they are managing???

Even without accepting a link language our country is progressing well.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Hmm...have you seen what happened in the Philippines. They had a similar issue,..there were many languages spoken in the islands, but they needed one default language, so they setup a commission that would create a language from all of them, and today it's used by all. Wonder how it would be if we did this :D

I'm quite surprised that they made it work there, are people not as connected about their native languages? Atleast as far as TN I totally see it not being accepted(what! the new language has only x tamil words, but y words from hindi,...that means we are lower! burrrn! :p)
Filipino and Tagalog are the same language and is spoken by one third of the population.

Unlike India, the three major languages are Kapampangan, Ilocano, and Visayan (The word comes from Sanskrit). They are stated to be near similar and so it is easy for them to learn Filipino.

While Indian languages have a common origin, yet it has become to diverse to be mutually intelligible.

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
श्रीमान

मैं तीन भाषाओं का उपयोग करने के लिए माफी माँगता हूँ |
जय हिंद
Mafi = Urdu.

Kshama = Hindi.

Try again :D

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
There's English in our system because:
  • We need a common language
  • Some of our enthnicities reject Hindi/Urdu

Ankit Purohit

Country flag
Mafi = Urdu.

Kshama = Hindi.

Try again :D

श्रीमान

मैं तीन भाषाओं का उपयोग करने के लिए क्षमा माँगता हूँ |
जय हिंद

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
I learnt English and Bengali at school. We never has a 3rd Language.

English kept getting practiced as all official and higher study materials are in English.

Nurturing of Bengali was relegated to reading literature.

Had to self learnt (only a bit of speaking and very limited reading, with no writing) a bit of Hindi, Gujarati, Punjabi and Kannada as not everyone is fluent in English.

But at the end of the day, neither will I get employment, not be able to further my education without English!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Getting a job outside his state is more linked to ones skill and experience in any particular trade.

There are many North Indians who work in factories, hotels etc in TN (not mentioning the IT guys). many dont know Tamil or English (except basic numbers and metric terminologies) and their employers don't know Hindi. Now tell me how they are managing to work together???

Same for Many workers from TN who go to work in Karnataka or kerala or Andhra. Many Borewell Rigs from TN go to other states and many even venture as faf as Rajasthan. Those who work on these machines dont know Hindhi and many even don't know english. Now how they are managing???

Even without accepting a link language our country is progressing well.
Well my experience is different.

I find it immensely difficult in Tamilnadu and Kerala, where they just refuse to speak in HIndi and their English is very limited and not liked either.

When we went on a Staff College tour and we were in Madras, one of the officers were practically thrown out of the bus since he refused to talk in any language but Hindi!

I feel that Skills one can have, but without communication, that skill never be applied perfectly!

pkroyal

Why even a majority of the Brits & Americans do not speak grammatically correct English.

It is a tough language to master. There are about one lakh plus words in the Websters Dictionary, correct usage of 40.000 words and correct grammatical syntax will bring you close to mastering this language.

We all are but points on the learning curve.

However I agree we must speak in our Language to visiting dignitaries ,when in Government or talking to foreigners.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Why worry about others speaking English correctly?

The issue is simple - bread & butter.

English opens up job opportunities worldwide.

In India, you can't get a job if you do not speak & write the language of the State you want a job in.

That is the reality!

IAS, IPS & Central Services which has State affiliation, you have to learn the State Language.

Last edited:

Ajatashatru Bharati

English has become a lingua franca. Many non-Hindi speakers see spread of Hindi as an imposition. But they don't feel this way for English! Among all Indian languages, Hindi is the only practical option to be made lingua franca. I believe if every part of the country is ready to adopt Hindi along with their native language then it won't be long before we see Hindi being used in education, science and tech, internet, etc. It can also lead to increased learning of Hindi in foreign countries just like French, Chinese, Spanish etc. I will love to communicate with fellow Indian netizens in Hindi.

Bilal

So again,urdu and hindi are interchangable languages,english is more spoken now amongst many of the indians and is the new lingua franca.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
English has become a lingua franca. Many non-Hindi speakers see spread of Hindi as an imposition. But they don't feel this way for English! Among all Indian languages, Hindi is the only practical option to be made lingua franca. I believe if every part of the country is ready to adopt Hindi along with their native language then it won't be long before we see Hindi being used in education, science and tech, internet, etc. It can also lead to increased learning of Hindi in foreign countries just like French, Chinese, Spanish etc. I will love to communicate with fellow Indian netizens in Hindi.
English is neutral and belongs to none, except maybe those of the hills in the NE.

Therefore, no egos or regional aspirations are bruised.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
So again,urdu and hindi are interchangable languages,english is more spoken now amongst many of the indians and is the new lingua franca.
You make a mistake.

It is Hindustani which was used.

That is a mixture of Hindi and Urdu.

nirranj

Country flag
Well my experience is different.

I find it immensely difficult in Tamilnadu and Kerala, where they just refuse to speak in HIndi and their English is very limited and not liked either.

When we went on a Staff College tour and we were in Madras, one of the officers were practically thrown out of the bus since he refused to talk in any language but Hindi!

I feel that Skills one can have, but without communication, that skill never be applied perfectly!
Well It may be the case decades back. But now definitely situation has changed. Many can speak Basic English and You can get a answer.

for Instance, many young men from my community work as drivers and Rig operators. Many are constantly on the roam and even venture north of Chambal valley. They didn't know English and No one knew Hindi too.. They still make lot of bucks. Over time they have picked up basic communication in many languages and they can speak Kannada, Telugu, Marathi, Malayalam and even Hindi to some extant.

Same goes for the many Northies who work in TN. They in course of time pick up basic Tamil and are able to communicate with the local populace. But Many come here thinking that they can communicate in Hindi and feel lost in a ocean of Tamil Speakers. You can find many North Indian officers posted in TN speak good Tamil and Many speak the pure or classical dialect with ease.

I too found it very difficult to manage in Bangalore (Which has a large Native Tamil populace) when I came here two years back. No English destination boards in buses, All addreses in the shops are in Kannada, and many hindi speakers. I was completely lost. But I picked up Kannada as I interacted more with the Locals and Now I am able to bargain in Kannada (with some Tamil and English mixup).

You can find English everywhere in TN. every shops have english in their address boards, hotel menus have English, and many shopkeepers can understand and reply in basic english, and majority of the general population will help you If you ask them politely.

If anyone is planning to settle down in TN (even for few years) its better to learn Tamil. Same applies if I want to settle down outside TN.

nirranj

Country flag

Hindi is completely Alien to Tamil speakers. Same goes for English.

But with English, I as a Tamill will have equal opportunity in terms of Pan india Exams and many things. But if they are conducted in Hindi, then I have to put extra efforts to master Hindi. But with English, both me and the other Hindi speaker has to put equal efforts.

Even Interms of a film industry or media or entertainment industries, Hindi based industry will destroy the other regional industries. You can find millions employed in regional media and entertainment industries. Now with Hindi becoming a common language this diverse economic opportunity will get destroyed.

A Lingually diverse india bridged by english is good for all.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles