How 'Gandhara' Became 'Kandahar'

Free Karma

No, that is how the society was built from ancent times. Chivalry in war.

I dont think so, you'd always find records of "rules of war" at all times, much like today the geneva convention and other un rules. But rules are always broken.

Even going around the time of the mahabharatha they made rules like no fighting after nightfall, but after the first few days, people continued to fight after darkness, and used methods that were....well questionable to say the least. Also not forgetting the ending, where the pandava lineage was nearly wiped out by a covert op after declaration of peace.

War is always brutal on anyone, and the nature of war never changes.

Edit: Although I've heard a similar sort of reason given for why a side might have lost a war. When the mongols tried to invade Japan, the japanese soldiers were totally not prepared for the alien fighting style of the mongols.
According to our manner of fighting we must first call out by name someone from the enemy ranks, and then attack in single combat. But the Mongols took no notice at all of such conventions. They rushed forward all together in a mass, grappling with any individuals they could catch and killing them.
But they were saved by other circumstances, and then totally changed their fighting style.

Last edited:

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
"Chivalry" was not always practiced in India, though Indian warfare in general may have been more "humane" than warfare in other regions (if any warfare can actually be "humane"). I think warfare in South India, at least in medieval times, was more brutal than warfare between indigenous states in North India. We have inscriptions from the Chola-Chalukya Wars for example talking about how the Chola army raped and massacred the inhabitants of Manyakheta, the Chalukya capital.

Ajatashatru Bharati

I am not sure about the origin of name 'Kandahar'. Gandhara was in the north, Swat valley, Peshawar, Kabul region. Today's 'Kandahar' is outside of the historical region. The word might have a different origin. Though there is nothing unclear about the impact of Gazni's Jihad.
You are right that Kandahar and Gandhara are geographically not same but the area of modern Kandahar had became part of Gandhara culture at some time in the past so most probably "Kandahar" derived from "Gandhara".

peacecracker

Pasthuns are indigenous people .. What is this Hindu blood ?
Pashtuns are eastern Iranians who came to the western borders of ancient Indian region. Hindko is another group who may be the actual people of Kandahar.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles