Home » World Democracy in China will help resolve Tibet issue: Dalai

SHASH2K2

Democracy in China will help resolve Tibet issue: Dalai

Washington: Communist China has no option but to be more open and follow the global trend of freedom and democracy which will pave the way for "easy resolution" of the vexed Tibet issue, the Dalai Lama has said.

"Once China experiences more openness then the Tibetan issue can be easily resolved. Sooner or later the People's Republic of China will have to go along the world trend, i.e. freedom and democracy," the exiled Tibetan leader said.

The 75-year-old Tibetan spiritual leader spoke after receiving the International Conductor Award yesterday in Cincinnati in Ohio in the US.

The USD 25,000 prize was donated back to the National Underground Railroad Freedom Centre by Dalai Lama.

1.3 billion Chinese people have every right to know the reality and they also have the ability to judge what is right and what is wrong, Dalai said.

Reacting to Beijing's sharp criticism to Chinese dissident Liu Xiaobo being awarded the 2010 Nobel Peace Prize, Dalai Lama, himself a Nobel laureate said for the last few decades he had always supported the Chinese people's right to seek more openness, more justice and less corruption, including issues relating to the Tiananmen events.

He said he always supported them, some times with moral support and in other cases expressing openly.

When the Nobel Committee announced the peace prize for Liu this time, it was logical for him to be overjoyed and happy.

He said that this award is not just to one individual, but along with Liu's name there were thousands of Chinese intellectuals and ordinary people who were really carrying on the struggle for freedom.

Dalai Lama said these are not necessarily against the Chinese Party authorities but that they really wanted more openness, more transparency and freedom. He said these were normal aspirations.

During the 1959 Tibetan uprising against Chinese rule in Tibet, the Dalai Lama fled to India, where he established a government in exile in Dharamshala in Himachal Pradesh.

In India, I had a new freedom, both mental freedom and physical freedom. "So I am a free man," he said.

http://www.zeenews.com/news662759.html

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles