Holy Shizt! The US announces...

JayATL

Just saw it tonight that US announced end of combat duties in 2013 . This does nor mean US is out of afghanistan in 2013, but that the 'lead' combat role is not the responsibility of the US soldiers. Does this mean than afghans are ready to take over ? Are they capable of doing so? Any afghans here that can speak to it?

Also fair warning to those fools who think that the US is leaving afghan region in 2014. We are not for almost a decade or more thereafter, beyond 2014.

My hope is the Indian govt has the backbone to assume a strong position given this silver plater presented to them. My hope is they dont act as meek as they have in the past. You (india) can now be on both sides/borders of Pakistan and if your govt pussyfoots with this- then god help an India who looks away at a gift horse.

Last edited:

pmaitra

Afghans are not ready to take over, but the Taliban are.

The US army will not leave entirely. They will probably have some troops and advisors in the country around for a while.

There is no silver platter but a bullet, that too a non-silver bullet. The US will scale down in Afghanistan and yet, will quarrel with Iran, making it difficult for India to have access to Afghanistan. I do not see how India can be on both sides of Pakistan.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Waving the white flag is something Obama does well.

KS

Bye bye DFI
India should get ready to deal with the Northern Alliance.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Waving the white flag is something Obama does well.
News analysis here says he will benefit from this announcement in his political campaign this year. Voters will be more concerned about the economy.

I did wonder if FDR had announced in 1944 that the US would be out of the Pacific in 1945, how events would have unfolded.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles