History TV18 to show Govind Nihlani's Tamas from 15th Aug without cuts

Twinblade

Country flag
http://www.newstrackindia.com/newsdetails/2013/08/11/256--History-TV-18-to-show-Tamas-without-any-cuts-.html

Mumbai, Aug 11 (IANS) "Tamas", about the migration of Sikh and Hindu families to India during partition, will go on air on History TV 18 on Independence Day Thursday without any cuts. Govind Nihalani, who directed it, says it's important for the present generation to see his movie.
The TV film will be aired as an eight-part series daily from Aug 15 at 9 p.m.
Happy with the channel's decision, Nihalani told IANS: "This is the kind of show one would like the present generation to see. The last time the show came on TV was 25 years ago."
"'Tamas' is about the times which were very difficult and tragic in our nation's history when the country was struggling to get free from the British colonial rule. The process involved the loss of millions of lives and the partition of the country," Nihalani told IANS.
The issues of communalism and religious independence, depicted in the mini-series, are relevant even today.
Nihalani feels that people should know how communalism or igniting sentiments of communities in the name of religion can result in huge tragedy.
"The purpose is very political, so many human lives were lost in the name of religion. This issue is alive even today. The level of intolerance is much higher today than when I made it 25 years ago," he said.
It is available on youtube as well, but the footage is very grainy.

Last edited by a moderator:

bose

Country flag
Re: History TV18 to show Govind Nihlani's Tamas from 15th Aug without

I remember when it was first shown in TV in mid 80's... during my growing up days.. I would say although I do not belong to the either East or West Pakistan by origin it had a profound effect on my thinking"¦ and politically leaning towards right "¦

anoop_mig25

Country flag
Re: History TV18 to show Govind Nihlani's Tamas from 15th Aug without

I happy that it is begin shown

And sad that its not shown by an Indian tv channel

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles