Historical Fighter Planes of India.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
This is the P-47. Any ever in IAF?

shom

What is the relevance of P-47 date to the thread?
Sorry Sir it was with the matter I copy pasted ,, i dont knw every details of aircraft ,,, I thought it wud also be relevant,, am sorry,,,

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Sorry Sir it was with the matter I copy pasted ,, i dont knw every details of aircraft ,,, I thought it wud also be relevant,, am sorry,,,
No problem! IAF should have flown P-47s if if didn't.:)

Sam2012

Tihar Jail
Banned
As i said we will have a detailed discussion on every plane each day ,,, undoubtedly it is the best plane ,,,but it comes later in serial no.
Done infact i was the one who posted Gnat in between , i applogize for spoiling the sequence:namaste:

shom

Done infact i was the one who posted Gnat in between , i applogize for spoiling the sequence:namaste:
Its ok sir,, today we will discuss about another plane,,, get readyyyy

shom

Its time for the 2nd one.
2) de Havilland Vampire:- There were around 400 imported since 1949 or made under licence, mainly Mk 52 fighter-bomber variant.The de Havilland DH.100 Vampire was a British jet fighter commissioned by the Royal Air Force during the Second World War. Following the Gloster Meteor, it was the second jet fighter to enter service with the RAF. Although it arrived too late to see combat during the war, the Vampire served with front line RAF squadrons until 1953 and continued in use as a trainer until 1966, although generally the RAF relegated the Vampire to advanced training roles in the mid-1950s and the type was generally out of RAF service by the end of the decade. The Vampire also served with many air forces worldwide, setting aviation firsts and records.
3,300 vampires were originally built, including many of them as under licensed by different countries. It had bomber and naval versions too.
General characteristics:-
Crew: 1
Length: 30 ft 9 in (9.37 m)
Wingspan: 38 ft (11.58 m)
Height: 8 ft 10 in (2.69 m)
Wing area: 262 ft² (24.34 m²)
Empty weight: 7,283 lb (3,304 kg)
Max. takeoff weight: 12,390 lb [50] (5,620 kg)
Powerplant: 1 × de Havilland Goblin 3 centrifugal turbojet, 3,350 lbf (14.90 kN)
Performance
Maximum speed: 548 mph (882 km/h)
Range: 1,220 mi (1,960 km)
Service ceiling: 42,800 ft (13,045 m)
Rate of climb: 4,800 ft/min[50] (24.4 m/s)
Armament
Guns: 4 × 20 mm (0.79 in) Hispano Mk.V cannon
Rockets: 8 × 3-inch "60 lb" rockets
Bombs: or 2 × 500 lb (225 kg) bombs or two drop-tanks
Actions:-
No. 7 Squadron, Indian Air Force (IAF) received Vampires in January 1949. Although the unit was put on high alert during the Sino-Indian War of 1962, it did not see any action, as the air force's role was limited to supply and evacuation.
On September 1, 1965, during the Indo-Pakistani War, IAF Vampires saw action for the first time. No. 45 Squadron responded to a request for strikes against a counter-attack by the Pakistani Army (Operation Grand Slam) and four Vampire Mk 52 fighter-bombers were successful in slowing the Pakistani advance. However, the Vampires encountered two Pakistan Air Force (PAF) F-86 Sabres, armed with air to air missiles; in the ensuing dogfight, the outdated Vampires were outclassed. One was shot down by ground fire and another three were shot down by Sabres.[25] The Vampires were withdrawn from front line service after these losses.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a5/De_Havilland_DH-100_Vampire_2_ExCC.jpg

shom

The first jet fighters in Asia - whose career spanned nearly three decades. The single seater fighter served in almost all the fighter squadrons. The two seater version of the Vampire was the mainstay of Jet training till the very end.

Units that flew this aircraft are 1 Squadron, 2 Squadron, 3 Squadron, 4 Squadron, 7 Squadron, 8 Squadron, 10 Squadron, 15 Squadron, 16 Squadron, 17 Squadron, 20 Squadron, 23 Squadron, 24 Squadron, 27 Squadron, 35 Squadron, 45 Squadron, 220 Squadron and 221 Squadron.
Courtesy:- Bharat Rakshak

shom

The Indian Air Force is operating the latest state of the art fighter-bombers like the Sukhoi and the MIG in the 21st century. However it should not be forgotton that six decades back the IAF launched itself into the Jet age with the De Haviland Vampire. This Vampire has the distinction of being the first fighter bomber with jet engines to adorn the IAF inventory. In fact the IAF was the first country in Asia to operate a jet fighter bomber and that is no mean achievement.

The Vampire was imported from England in 1948 and the first lot of Vampires equipped No 7 squadron, one of the oldest squadrons of the IAF.

The vampire was developed by British Aerospace towards the end of the war. It was a subsonic fighter-bomber and was fairly effective in a ground support role. The vampire was made in large numbers by the British and it is estimated that about 3300 of its variants were manufactured and sold to a number of countries in the world including India. The vampire was a single engined two-seater fighter-bomber, with a top speed of about 550 mph.

The Vampire when it was inducted into the IAF was an air superiority plane, but within a decade it had become obselete. Despite this the IAF for reasons of economy carried on with this aircraft. It was not used during the 1962 conflict with China but on 01 Sept 1965, news was received of a Pakistani thrust in the Chamb sector( Operation Grand Slam). Accordingly 4 Vampires were scrambled , to give ground support to the beleaguered Indian troops. Initially they were successful but soon the Pakistan Air Force threw in the American built F-86 Sabre jet.
The Vampires were not a match for the F-86 and it is on record that all the 4 vampires were lost to the Sabres and to ground attack. It was a terrible blow and even now four decades later, it has never been made public as to who took the decision to launch the Vampire in the attack when superior aircraft like the Hawker Hunter and MIG 21 was available. Air Chief Marshal Arjun Singh was the Chief of the IAF, yet all are silent on this aspect. The Vampire at that time had lost its cutting edge .

Ultimately the Vampire was phased out from the IAF inventory in 1968 after a service of nearly two decades. It is preserved in the IAF museum at Palam at Delhi and can be seen by all. The Vampire had a number of versions and later Vampires also had night operation capability. The Vampire and Hawker hunter were the last of the breed of British aircraft to serve with the IAF as the Indian defence Minister had opted for the Russian built MIG for the IAF.. But the Vampire will be remembered as the fore runner of the present breed of operational jets of the IAF.
Courtesy:- The De Haviland Vampire and its Checkered History With the IAF

shom

1st jet propelled fighter air craft of Indian Air Force,,,, one word for it ,,,,,, SEXY
Wonder from where the air intake took place in this aircraft ,, does the air intake takes place from the holes in the wing???? what about an expert comments,,, plzzz I need the answer,,,,, anyone there,,,,,,

Global Defence

New threads

Articles