Hindustan Trainer HTT-40

vishnugupt

Country flag
If you think delivery schedule of jets in defence procurement is some pinky promise by a girlfriend then you have already lost your ground for reasoning ....

IAF won't stop training there new pilots for more than a decade waiting for HAL to deliver basic trainer in mid 20s and to make some kiddo in adult body happy .

With No IJT in sight No basic trainer in 2009 IAF should have start playing gulli danda with you I guess . That would have made you happy.

IAF isn't the one who have responsibility to design or make jets . There are different organization it's their job IAF can only support it up to a level.

Do you even know how many pilots have been lost to shady job done by HAL and co. One of the reason mig 21s go down is poor quality of spares provided by HAL despite such a long run of producing them .
You just know how to abuse others. I wonder you even read before commenting...
It seems your life has started since 2009. I have never said IAF should not import when necessary. Had I said anything about Hawk procurement??No! Had I said against initial 100 Platus jet?? No! If you can't read then this is not my problem.
I didn't say IAF should design and develop weapons. I am saying IAF has double standards for indigenous and foreign import. For Deshi product they keep on changing requirements but at the same time they relax criteria for foreign maal. Why ?? Kickback money but you r blind to the facts( Jaguar bought with underpowered engines, Mig 29 didn't have even IOC certificate, Platus scam, Augusta scam, 70s design F-16 look advance jet ... And many more )
For you, Tejas must be poor built in quality as it built by HAL but it is flying well without any accident but IAF have record to crash brand new airplanes (Hercules J130)
HAL killed no pilots infact IAF killed many due to poor planning, bought faulty spare parts from Ukraine. Where are 1000s of aircrash investigations?? You ate up all?? Ask air force to make it public then you will come know whose fault.
Before Gaganshakti exercise IAF was crying for poor maintainability of Tejas but contrary to cry Tejas actually outperformed ( If not then equally performed ) others by doing 6 sorties a day

Last edited:

Flying Dagger

Country flag
You just know how to abuse others. I wonder you even read before commenting...
It seems your life has started since 2009. I have never said IAF should not import when necessary. Had I said anything about Hawk procurement??No! Had I said against initial 100 Platus jet?? No! If you can't read then this is not my problem.
I didn't say IAF should design and develop weapons. I am saying IAF has double standards for indigenous and foreign import. For Deshi product they keep on changing requirements but at the same time they relax criteria for foreign maal. Why ?? Kickback money but you r blind to the facts( Jaguar bought with underpowered engines, Mig 29 didn't have even IOC certificate, Platus scam, Augusta scam, 70s design F-16 look advance jet ... And many more )
For you, Tejas must be poor built in quality as it built by HAL but it is flying well without any accident but IAF have record to crash brand new airplanes (Hercules J130)
HAL killed no pilots infact IAF killed many due to poor planning, bought faulty spare parts from Ukraine. Where are 1000s of aircrash investigations?? You ate up all?? Ask air force to make it public then you will come know whose fault.
Before Gaganshakti exercise IAF was crying for poor maintainability of Tejas but contrary to cry Tejas actually outperformed ( If not then equally performed ) others by doing 6 sorties a day
Hey hold on I didnt abused you and I don't wish to engage you more after these childish tantrums.

IAF didn't inducted 100 Pilatus jet . They are stuck at 75 I think and had a clause of 38 more which they wanted to exercise for your info @abingdonboy they weren't traitor for doing so.

I wonder anyway if you are fine with IAF having 100 Pilatus then you should be happy they want 38 more. That will actually make its number over 100 which it is not right now.

HAL knew Deepak is going down but they didn't came up with any solution their IJT program was down. When they got to know abt plan to buy trainer aircraft from outside all they tried was to get it assembled by HAL . But when during UPA it was decided they will be bought off the shelf. HAL suddenly came alive with their indigenous basic trainer. Till then they were happy to get the order for its assembly .

IAF along with MOD then divided the requirement in two parts one with Pilatus second with HTT 40 .

HAL kept delaying it and IAF was happy with Pilatus and wanted to exercise + 38 to have adequate number of trainers for its pilot to complete training. They needed more asap since they are using Pilatus and hawk for intermediate training course too.

When a rookie pilot without proper training jump to a mig 21 like platform It is inviting trouble on your own.

If they didn't defend airspace adequately people like you would be the first one to blame them . And your indigenous indigenous rant won't save India from the defeat.

IAF is still flying mig 21 because they have been waiting for Tejas since 80s . They asked the MOD to buy Mirage 2000 but plan was trashed . If they had been heard we would have a 14 + 14 Sukhoi + Mirage along with Jaguar etc.

Jaguar engine were sufficient for their time. The whole fiasco is HAL 's lethargy which took decades to complete the order and were producing them till 2008 around then delayed the upgrade program so much that the engine supplier increased the rate.

Mig 29 is a legend even when we all know it was the political leadership which thrusted it upon IAF. IAF was given chance to evaluate it too and for that point of time it's dogfighting capability were unmatched getting the nickname Super hunter from leader of the IAF team sent to evaluate it.

It was IAF then which asked for indigenous replacement of Mig 21 after gov decided to buy Jaguar .

Mig 21 parts are built and supplied by HAL.

HAL crashed two Mirage 2000 recently in test flying after upgrade.

It is not a discussion to score point . HAL along with other agency are low on quality control and over hype themselves while IAF suffers.

Last edited:

samsaptaka

तस्मात् उत्तिष्ठ कौन्तेय युद्धाय कृतनिष्चय
Country flag
I know its OT, but can someone refresh my memory as to why IJT was shut down ?

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
Bdw....ijt will be back soon ...
Its flew again......
And modified
It will be back soon ....after htt40
Eagerly for sitara. we bought it very fast but unfortunately it stuck in testing because of different reason. It will rock with HTFE 25.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
Mig 29 is a legend even when we all know it was the political leadership which thrusted it upon IAF. IAF was given chance to evaluate it too
So far as I know, it was a compulsion. Pak was buying F16. IAF was left with no option but to match the capability of F 16 which was considered to be the deadliest plane of that time.

Defcon 1

Country flag
Hey hold on I didnt abused you and I don't wish to engage you more after these childish tantrums.

IAF didn't inducted 100 Pilatus jet . They are stuck at 75 I think and had a clause of 38 more which they wanted to exercise for your info @abingdonboy they weren't traitor for doing so.

I wonder anyway if you are fine with IAF having 100 Pilatus then you should be happy they want 38 more. That will actually make its number over 100 which it is not right now.

HAL knew Deepak is going down but they didn't came up with any solution their IJT program was down. When they got to know abt plan to buy trainer aircraft from outside all they tried was to get it assembled by HAL . But when during UPA it was decided they will be bought off the shelf. HAL suddenly came alive with their indigenous basic trainer. Till then they were happy to get the order for its assembly .

IAF along with MOD then divided the requirement in two parts one with Pilatus second with HTT 40 .

HAL kept delaying it and IAF was happy with Pilatus and wanted to exercise + 38 to have adequate number of trainers for its pilot to complete training. They needed more asap since they are using Pilatus and hawk for intermediate training course too.

When a rookie pilot without proper training jump to a mig 21 like platform It is inviting trouble on your own.

If they didn't defend airspace adequately people like you would be the first one to blame them . And your indigenous indigenous rant won't save India from the defeat.

IAF is still flying mig 21 because they have been waiting for Tejas since 80s . They asked the MOD to buy Mirage 2000 but plan was trashed . If they had been heard we would have a 14 + 14 Sukhoi + Mirage along with Jaguar etc.

Jaguar engine were sufficient for their time. The whole fiasco is HAL 's lethargy which took decades to complete the order and were producing them till 2008 around then delayed the upgrade program so much that the engine supplier increased the rate.

Mig 29 is a legend even when we all know it was the political leadership which thrusted it upon IAF. IAF was given chance to evaluate it too and for that point of time it's dogfighting capability were unmatched getting the nickname Super hunter from leader of the IAF team sent to evaluate it.

It was IAF then which asked for indigenous replacement of Mig 21 after gov decided to buy Jaguar .

Mig 21 parts are built and supplied by HAL.

HAL crashed two Mirage 2000 recently in test flying after upgrade.

It is not a discussion to score point . HAL along with other agency are low on quality control and over hype themselves while IAF suffers.
Some people just want to throw mud and see what sticks. Mig 29 was so good for its time that Americans realised that it would beat F16 in dogfighting and had to start the F-X program in response which resulted in the F15 eagle. It fell behind later only because Soviet union was dissolved and Russia was unable to matching American in funding R&D and upgrade programs for their fighters.

Flying Dagger

Country flag
Bdw....ijt will be back soon ...
Its flew again......
And modified
It will be back soon ....after htt40
Atleast 4-5 years for it to enter production. And that is a very very optimistic statement by me.

IAF shouldn't buy Pilatus either as HTT 40 may enter production in a few years too.

I know its OT, but can someone refresh my memory as to why IJT was shut down ?
3 crash failed spin test.
So far as I know, it was a compulsion. Pak was buying F16. IAF was left with no option but to match the capability of F 16 which was considered to be the deadliest plane of that time.
Yes there was compulsion , political one.

We bought Jaguar Mirage Mig 23 Mig 27 too citing F 16 .

We had a contract to build another 110 mirage 2000 jets by HAL but it was cancelled in favor of Mig 29 as Soviet asked us to do so.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
Atleast 4-5 years for it to enter production. And that is a very very optimistic statement by me.

IAF shouldn't buy Pilatus either as HTT 40 may enter production in a few years too.

We had a contract to build another 110 mirage 2000 jets by HAL but it was cancelled in favor of Mig 29 as Soviet asked us to do so.
Mig 29 is am excellent aircraft except maintainability issues.

IndianHawk

Country flag

Jaguar , mig23/27 had nothing to do with f16. We bought mirage to counter f16 first and then Russia scuttled more mirage by offering very cheap mig29 . And we had no money so we went with mig29.

Flying Dagger

Country flag
These issues are with navy mig29k . Airforce mig29 are fine and now with upgrade they have internal ew ( Indian dare ew suite) , inflight refueling etc .
Indian Airforce also faced maintenance issue with Mig 29. The recent UPG upgrade sorted out most of them now .

Navy on the other hand is totally disappointed with the availability rate .

Jaguar , mig23/27 had nothing to do with f16. We bought mirage to counter f16 first and then Russia scuttled more mirage by offering very cheap mig29 . And we had no money so we went with mig29.
India was aware that PAF will be getting F 16s .

Jaguar and Mirage were two option in front of IAF and French clearly ask India to opt for Mirage 2000 as they were taking their hand out of joint venture Anglo-French Jaguar. But due to relation with UK we went for Jaguar. Jaguar was supposed to be light interceptor as well strike fighter. Infact one day before we signed the contract french ambassador met prominent leaders and pitched for mirage 2000.

Eventually Mirage were also bought and contract was divided into 150 Jags + 150 Mirage 2000 .

Soviet forced India to opt for Mig 23 which at that time was touted as successor of mig 21 and then mig 27 derived from Mig 23 as a twin engine jet with more safety and strike package but both were inefficient to tackle jets like F 16 not IAF was much happy with their performance.

Mig 29 didn't came for free the cost was half of Mirage 2000 but more importantly mirage were going to be built in india saving lot of forex at that time. The real reason was political more than anything. Add to that IAF loved mig 29 too.

Funny thing is all of them were told to be immediate requirement citing F 16s and we got a circus of different fighter inside IAF.

Prashant12

Country flag
Amidst a string of announcements, Air Chief Marshal Bhadauria also declared that HAL's under-development HTT-40 will be the IAF's new first stage trainer, and that the earlier plan for a follow-on order for 38 Pilatus PC-7 trainers had been dropped. "The next trainer will be the HTT-40. It has done some spin trials. But we can't move to the next stage (to action procurement) until the tests are over, till the Final Operational Clearance," he qualified.

http://www.sps-aviation.com/news/?i...eration-fighter-commits-itself-to-Indian-AMCA

Raj Malhotra

Country flag
Amidst a string of announcements, Air Chief Marshal Bhadauria also declared that HAL's under-development HTT-40 will be the IAF's new first stage trainer, and that the earlier plan for a follow-on order for 38 Pilatus PC-7 trainers had been dropped. "The next trainer will be the HTT-40. It has done some spin trials. But we can't move to the next stage (to action procurement) until the tests are over, till the Final Operational Clearance," he qualified.

http://www.sps-aviation.com/news/?i...eration-fighter-commits-itself-to-Indian-AMCA
That's false & incorrect statement. Aircraft are routinely ordered well before IOC let alone FOC.

Even if HTT40 order is placed today, it will take 4 years for the first aircraft to arrive, by which time IOC/FOC would be over

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles