Hindus upset as Portland brewery readies to release "Kali-Ma" beer

Adux

Country flag
A proper research on the part of the company, especially in an age when religious groups tend to get 'offended' whether their ad is good.

Instead going on a stupid stereotype from the Indiana Jones movie sheds a negative light on their brand choosing practise, if not at others.
They already have jesus on underwears and even their flags. They are different, and I like their concepts. It serves good for secularism. I like the Kaali Maa beer, Drink a lot, and go around town looking for Paaki's to beat up.

KS

Bye bye DFI
I think being more open to the use of Hindu mythology in the West will only help in culturally empowering Hinduism.
There is a difference in potraying Kali ma in a positive sense and triviliazing it by putting on the beer bottle.

For the average Joe who drinks it to get high does it matter who Kali ma is ? For the record I have not wondered who Old Monk or Jack Daniels is,

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
Can't speak on behalf of Hindus, but, could the acceptance of Hindu mythology being used more widely in the West actually have positive results for Hinduism? I would love to see Hollywood flicks depicting the Ramayan or Mahabharat (the special effects would be much better than the cheesy Indian ones), and it would tremendously expand the audience to Hindu mythology.

Much like how a series of media releases have brought Greek mythology back to the forefront, resulting in several revived Paganistic organizations.

Heck, even the God of War series, which is now heading towards being turned into a movie, itself has given a tremendous boost to Greek mythology.

I think being more open to the use of Hindu mythology in the West will only help in culturally empowering Hinduism.
Forget it, Hollywood is not going to portray Hinduism (or any other Indic faith or Indian culture) in a positive light. Glorifying Greek and Roman culture is kosher, since it's "Western"

Remember 300 and how Persians were depicted ?

Adux

Country flag
why not because we are not shameless pig like them

we are Indian and govt should give the strong message either stop it or we will break our all relation with the country
inida is not hindu, the american public will give india the middle finger so will the USG, and we would look like bagdad bob

KS

Bye bye DFI
1. So do we Own it?, If So How?

2. And No I know what Hindu Nazis will say, it will not be acceptable to sell beer with the Kali Ma trade mark. Is it not Hypocrisy that most of these so called protecters of culture actually drinkers themselves? So if you think it is blasphemous to use the Kali Ma name for the Beer company, then is it not blasphemous to drink it?

3. Another Similiar Point. Some One who revers Weed too much was fighting with me on an unrelated thread about how weed is used by sages:lol: and Siva devotees(Aghoris). So Will it be acceptable for them to make Ganja with Siva Brand on them:troll:????

So what? What have the Hindu Nazis done to improve the cultural reach of India, or Hinduism

My point was that, this is similiar to the Hindu Nazis saying that the "ONLY" Brahminical aspects of the Hinduism are true. Just like the Europeans are trying to steal our greatness as theirs- Hope you catch my meaning

I thought you would say there was no such thing as caste discrimination in India:notsure:

SO you do believe that Hinduism has only Brahmanical aspects?:troll:. No I dont believe in Periyar's theories;)
Sorry you are not making sense..but just arguing for the sake of it. Why ? I dont know.

But as LB said, mis-appropriating and trivializing our culture based on a stupid portrayal in a 80's movie where the notion of India was limited to snake charmers and monkey worshippers is foolish, if not offending to say the least.

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
There is a difference in potraying Kali ma in a positive sense and triviliazing it by putting on the beer bottle.

For the average Joe who drinks it to get high does it matter who Kali ma is ? For the record I have not wondered who Old Monk or Jack Daniels is,
1. So Either he wont care who Kali is- as you dont care who Old Monk or Jack Daniels is.

----or----

2. He would actually get curious about the name and research about it. In which case, it is a bonus advertisement for our culture:D

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
Sorry you are not making sense..but just arguing for the sake of it. Why ? I dont know.
I am not arguing for the sake of it. I am just saying that we should not become Hindu Facists, censuring everything as offensive. Come on, if we make fun of hte Mullahs for their non-sense, then we should refrain from engaging in Non- Sense ourselves

But as LB said, mis-appropriating and trivializing our culture based on a stupid portrayal in a 80's movie where the notion of India was limited to snake charmers and monkey worshippers is foolish, if not offending to say the least.
How does that compare to the one found here?

KS

Bye bye DFI
1. So Either he wont care who Kali is- as you dont care who Old Monk or Jack Daniels is.

----or----

2. He would actually get curious about the name and research about it. In which case, it is a bonus advertisement for our culture:D
Still I would not like an American using our iconography our gods without even knowing the full meaning of it and going by the stereotype made in a 80's movie that had Kali ma as a devil that Indiana Jones defeats..:facepalm:

KS

Bye bye DFI
I am not arguing for the sake of it. I am just saying that we should not become Hindu Facists, censuring everything as offensive. Come on, if we make fun of hte Mullahs for their non-sense, then we should refrain from engaging in Non- Sense ourselves
Hindu fascists ? Wow..Protesting lawfully the usage of one of their Gods in the name of crass commercialization without even knowing an iota about her - going by the stereotype planted in a 80's movie - makes one a fascist ? Was your english dictionary written by Arundati Roy-Sagarika Ghose-Burkha Dutt trio ?

Anyway it seems to be an innocent mistake on the part of the company and they have apologised for it anyway. So I give them the benefit of doubt and close this chapter.

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
Still I would not like an American using our iconography our gods without even knowing the full meaning of it and going by the stereotype made in a 80's movie that had Kali ma as a devil that Indiana Jones defeats..:facepalm:
Do The Hindus, Know the entire Hindu philosophy we claim to stand for in the first place? Come on. Its no big deal. The way the Hindus are behaving these days for trivial matters reminds me of the mullahs whom we make fun of daily. Just stand some distance from the Hinduism and look at it with a neutral view.

Tronic

Forget it, Hollywood is not going to portray Hinduism (or any other Indic faith or Indian culture) in a positive light. Glorifying Greek and Roman culture is kosher, since it's "Western"

In this regard, I think it is hard to say what exactly is positive sense. I don't know how 'positive', lets say, even taking the God of War series would be perceived to be, where you play as a character who goes about slaughtering all the Greek gods and heroes.

However, at the end of the day, now every other kid out there knows the entire list of Greek Gods, and their roles in "Olympus".

They are more aware and appreciate Greek mythology much more.

Your point though is also correct, you don't want another Indiana Jones version of Hinduism.

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
Hindu fascists ? Wow..Protesting lawfully the usage of one of their Gods in the name of crass commercialization without even knowing an iota about her - going by the stereotype planted in a 80's movie - makes one a fascist ? Was your english dictionary written by Arundati Roy-Sagarika Ghose-Burkha Dutt trio ?

Anyway it seems to be an innocent mistake on the part of the company and they have apologised for it anyway. So I give them the benefit of doubt and close this chapter.
Ok then, soon as NRJ said, some one will start protesting against the eating of beef as cow is holy in Hinduism(Go mata, Kamathenu etc) then also you will claim it as a legitimate protest?

So how is this different from the catholic zealots wanting to ban all the contraceptives because it is against their religion?

PS: I agree with YOU, LB, Tronic that such negative portrayal of Hindustan or our culture should not be there, thats why i asked if the Hindus would be Ok with Kali mark Beers or Shiva Mark Ganjas, without showing them in a negative portrait

Last edited:

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
In this regard, I think it is hard to say what exactly is positive sense. I don't know how 'positive', lets say, even taking the God of War series would be perceived to be, where you play as a character who goes about slaughtering all the Greek gods and heroes.

However, at the end of the day, now every other kid out there knows the entire list of Greek Gods, and their roles in "Olympus".

Your point though is also correct, you don't want another Indiana Jones version of Hinduism.
I've played God of War, Kratos is badass :D

However, Greek religion is dead , there won't be any controversy if they make derivative works. A negative portrayal of Greek culture can be done ....Hollywood can depict them as a bunch of Pedophiles while showing other cultures as superior, but you know that's not gonna happen.

End of the day, we'll have to showcase our culture via domestic mediums (yes....Bollywood)

Edit: It seems that Greek Mythology is taught in American schools too.

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag

So true.

Case in point.

Supernatural Season 5 Episode 19 Hammer of the Gods

It's Supernatural Season 5, Hammer of the Gods. (if the link doesn't work).

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
Originally Posted by arya
why not because we are not shameless pig like them

we are Indian and govt should give the strong message either stop it or we will break our all relation with the country
First, Indian Govt. is different from Indian religions.
Second, if you are such a passionate believer in God, leave the matter to God(dess). God will surely punish them, will he/she not ? :troll:

Also, instead of Jesus saves condoms (which I think are already out there), somebody should make Virgin Mary condoms. That would be awesome. :pft:

PS: That Kali-ma pic is hot :happy:

Peace out, people. :peace:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles