Hindus upset as Portland brewery readies to release "Kali-Ma" beer

ejazr

Ambassador
Hindus upset as Portland brewery readies to release "Kali-Ma" beer | India America Today

Washington DC - Another sales pitch with an image of a Hindu goddess has drawn the ire of the Indian American community, which has demanded the halt to the release of an alcoholic beverage, criticizing it as an inappropriate use of Hindu deities or concepts for a commercial agenda.

Rajan Zed, president of Universal Society of Hinduism (Nevada, US), in a statement urged Portland-based (Oregon, US) Burnside Brewing Company not to release its "Kali-Ma" beer, calling it inappropriate.

Zed stressed that the Goddess Kali was highly revered in Hinduism and she was meant to be worshipped in temples and not to be used in selling beer for corporate greed.

According to an announcement on "The Full Pint," an online craft beer news publication, Burnside Brewing is releasing "Kali-Ma" on Tuesday, May 15.

"Come worship 'the black one' Kali as the ultimate reality or Brahman this Tuesday!" reads the announcement, adding, "Kali-Ma is inspired by the Hindu goddess and her tribute in the movie Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. The name Kali comes from kāla, which means black, time, death, lord of death, Shiva."

Goddess Kali, who personifies Sakti or divine energy, is widely worshipped in Hinduism. She is considered the goddess of time and change. Some Bengali poets described her as supreme deity, noted Zed.

There have been other cases where Hindu symbols have been hijacked for commercial purposes. In November of 2010, Newsweek magazine depicted President Obama as the Hindu deity Lord Shiva the destroyer on its front cover.

Earlier in 2005, an online shop selling lingerie with images of Hindu gods and religious icons drew the wrath of the Indian American community, which demanded withdrawal of the women's underclothing.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
I think this is the label on the beer which seems quite inappropriate.

I think these people are misusing the name to get some cheap publicity to the their beer. Why can't they be original in naming beers?.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Heard in the news this morning that they have withdrawn and stopped the release of the drink today.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
No they are not misusing.

They are simply ignorant and are pandering to the western idea of India being the 'Mysterious and Mystic Orient!"

It sounds and appears very exciting to them!

They think Kali Ma is POWER and so one swig of that beer and you are right in the White House as the next President!

Even if you are but Joe the Plumber, whose goldfish world is but a faulty commode!

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
Ray Sir, but depicting Mother Kali does not go well with the sentiments of peoples' faith. They can drop the Idea of depicting the photo of Mother Kali.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Indeed they should.

But try educating fools.

Remember, Joe the Plumber and Sarah Palin are the heroes and example of the real American!

H.A.

They said that they came to know about 'Kaali Ma' through an Indiana Jones movie. They did not know that it would be offensive.

However they have removed it and delayed the product launch.

I respect the sentiments of Hindu's however why is this particular incident been blown out of proportion, I have seen liquor shops being named in Hindu Gods name, like Hanuman wines, Sri Sai Ram bar & restaurant etc, why don't people protest to that?

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
I respect the sentiments of Hindu's however why is this particular incident been blown out of proportion, I have seen liquor shops being named in Hindu Gods name, like Hanuman wines, Sri Sai Ram bar & restaurant etc, why don't people protest to that?
Because of the intent in naming so and the perception built by such an act. It differs in both the scenarios.
The shopkeeper is most likey a Hanuman devotee (although principly he shouldn't be close to wine then :D).
Lets not forget how much fuss the muslims create, we don't need examples to remind ourselves. Sentiments run deep in every community so no need to be discrete in questioning the noise on a particular side. Otherwise, better question it on all occassions, for events relating to all communities/religions.

Regards,
Virendra

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
No they are not misusing.

They are simply ignorant and are pandering to the western idea of India being the 'Mysterious and Mystic Orient!"

It sounds and appears very exciting to them!

They think Kali Ma is POWER and so one swig of that beer and you are right in the White House as the next President!

Even if you are but Joe the Plumber, whose goldfish world is but a faulty commode!
Nobody could have said it better !

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
They said that they came to know about 'Kaali Ma' through an Indiana Jones movie. They did not know that it would be offensive.

However they have removed it and delayed the product launch.

Where did you see these?

Let us alert Shiv Sena.

They have been rather quiet for too long for comfort! :rofl:

H.A.

Because of the intent in naming so and the perception built by such an act. It differs in both the scenarios.
The shopkeeper is most likey a Hanuman devotee (although principly he shouldn't be close to wine then :D).
Lets not forget how much fuss the muslims create, we don't need examples to remind ourselves. Sentiments run deep in every community so no need to be discrete in questioning the noise on a particular side. Otherwise, better question it on all occassions, for events relating to all communities/religions.

Regards,
Virendra
Indeed, nobody is perfect in this imperfect world.

I am just mentioning this because of the ongoing discussion, I have this thought from a very long time never got a chance to discuss it, hence i posted it to know everyone's opinion / their thoughts on this.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Religious sentiments are overrated.

Whats next? They are going to protest against videos depicting cow slaughter for meat because they can not see Hindu goddess murdered ?

maomao

Veteran Hunter of Maleecha
Country flag
^^ That too a Beer is called 'Kali-ma'. :)

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
I think this is the label on the beer which seems quite inappropriate.

I think these people are misusing the name to get some cheap publicity to the their beer. Why can't they be original in naming beers?.
If they can have Zeus Brand of Beers or Thor Brand of Beers, why not the Kali mark Beers?:troll:

I mean seriously? Is it worth even the trouble. Anyway, I am beginning to think that we Indians are becoming more and more Irrational these days(or May be Hindus alone ,:notsure:)

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
If they can have Zeus Brand of Beers or Thor Brand of Beers, why not the Kali mark Beers?:troll:
Because unlike Hinduism, Greek Paganism is a dead religion. The correct Analogy would be say...a Jesus branded condom (with suitable graphic depiction) or something similar.

I mean seriously? Is it worth even the trouble. Anyway, I am beginning to think that we Indians are becoming more and more Irrational these days(or May be Hindus alone ,:notsure:)
Even though I'm not religious, I can understand that the picture is going to offend people.

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
Anything can offend religious people, its useless to regulate any industry for the sake of it.
Actually, I support the move because I don't like foreigners misappropriating our iconography

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles