"Hindu is a false faith with false gods," claims Idaho senator

DingDong

Country flag
re: "Hindu is a false faith with false gods," claims Idaho senator

President Obama (the guy who tried too hard to prove that he is a practising Christian):

Martin Luther King must be turning in his grave.

sgarg

@Virendra, it is better to ignore such situations. As I said earlier, Vedic system does not believe in forcing anybody to pray in a certain way. However a person preaching against Vedas was expelled by the Vedic king.

If Americans think their country is Christian country and Vedic teaching should not be allowed; then it is their matter and we should not comment.

They have full freedom to participate in a Vedic chant or not.

However if they comment on our society - where religious freedom is a well-established fact - then we must criticize them with full force.

Last edited by a moderator:

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag

@sgarg I'm not forcing anybody. I didn't say they should have participated.
Like I said in previous post, if they were just "anybody" I couldn't care lesser.
But they a part of the machinery called State that governs people of US regardless of caste and creed.

I'm not offended a tiny bit by the fact that they didn't participate in vedic chants (even as State members).
What I have objection to, is that they as part of the State said this - "Hindu is a false faith with false gods."
Now, what kind of influence would such people apply to the State, its actions and approaches?

DingDong

Country flag

Imagine a BJP MP had said similar stuff about Christianity, the secular people might have been seeking his blood.

Why are there no Hindu holidays in UK despite the fact that Hindus constitute more than 1.5% of British population?

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

In "The Da Vinci Code," author Dan Brown claims that Christianity borrowed extensively from pagan religions. Nothing in Christianity is original, he says. The pre-Christian god Mithras -- called the son of god and the light of the world -- was born on Dec. 25, died, was buried in a rock tomb, and then resurrected in three days, Brown tells us.

Even Christianity's weekly holy day was stolen from the pagans, we're told. "Originally," Da Vinci Code character Robert Langdon says, "Christianity honored the Jewish Sabbath of Saturday, but Constantine shifted it to coincide with the pagan's veneration day of the sun. To this day, most churchgoers attend services on Sunday morning with no idea that they are there on account of the pagan sun god's weekly tribute -- Sunday."

sgarg

The weekly holiday and the calendar comes from India. The entire astronomy transmitted from India to other nations. People forget Taxshila - the largest center of learning in the entire ancient world.

India's contribution to the body of knowledge is often ignored. India was the most learned country 2500 years back. The tradition of learning is very strong in India.

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag

The weekly holiday and the calendar comes from India. The entire astronomy transmitted from India to other nations. People forget Taxshila - the largest center of learning in the entire ancient world.

India's contribution to the body of knowledge is often ignored. India was the most learned country 2500 years back. The tradition of learning is very strong in India.
Its a mash I think, not total lift from India. For example - from months of a year we have September (Saptamvaar), October (Ashtamvaar), November (Navamvaar) and December (Dashamvaar), but the others aren't ours.
Vaar is iteration/sequence no. .. same way as found in our week days.

Otm Shank2

@Virendra, it is better to ignore such situations. As I said earlier, Vedic system does not believe in forcing anybody to pray in a certain way. However a person preaching against Vedas was expelled by the Vedic king.

If Americans think their country is Christian country and Vedic teaching should not be allowed; then it is their matter and we should not comment.

They have full freedom to participate in a Vedic chant or not.

However if they comment on our society - where religious freedom is a well-established fact - then we must criticize them with full force.
This isnt about hindu/Abraham . Its a social issue, its about respect and inclusion of hardworking indians that heavily contribute positively to America. If Indians cant support Indians where ever they are and want basic respect then we're all going to pay for it as a community

what youre talking about is being self defeating..

pkroyal

Many half wit, semi educated people pontificate on religion.

Hinduism ( Sanatana Dharma) was there before this Senator or his ancestors were even born.

Religion is for restoring a sense of order in a society so that it does not revert to its default setting of bloodshed & anarchy.

The sophistication of the Vedas cannot be comprehended by excessive beer guzzling. overeating, obese, sexually over obsessed society like USA.

When you run away from the routine activity of the mind ( including adversity or sadness) one creates an additional burden of " mithya" over "maya"

The Senators are way to shallow to understand this basic truth.

sgarg

Its a mash I think, not total lift from India. For example - from months of a year we have September (Saptamvaar), October (Ashtamvaar), November (Navamvaar) and December (Dashamvaar), but the others aren't ours.
Vaar is iteration/sequence no. .. same way as found in our week days.
The names of months may be different but that does not mean the ideas did not come from India. Subjects like astronomy and mathematics have come from ancient India.

The word "chausant kala" refers to the fact that 64 subjects were taught in Vedic education.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

Nuxoll says she declined to attend because she believes the United States is a Christian nation.

"Hindu is a false faith with false gods," she said. "I think it's great that Hindu people can practice their religion but since we're the Senate, we're setting an example of what we, Idaho, believe."

If the US is a CHRISTIAN nation, let the CONSTITUTION state it so.

Why the hypocrisy?

There is this unique DOUBLE STANDARD in everything the US does or does not.

Janus.

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag

If the US is a CHRISTIAN nation, let the CONSTITUTION state it so.

Why the hypocrisy?

There is this unique DOUBLE STANDARD in everything the US does or does not.

Janus.
It can be easily PROVED that Christanity is a imaginary religion and Bible is just pack of fairytale stories and nothing more than a stone age Pagan Religion.

Country flag

I don't think the senator deserves the notoriety our forum is giving him. Vast majority of
Americans are tolerant people.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

I don't think the senator deserves the notoriety our forum is giving him. Vast majority of
Of course, one should not tar the whole community because of the illiterate pronouncement of one Senator.

But then, it is also a truism that quite a few Americans are tolerant depending on who they are addressing.

Forget Asians, the Americans claim to be tolerant of Jews, but you keep seeing news reports of celebrities badmouthing the Jews now and then..........and then apologising.

Country flag

Of course, one should not tar the whole community because of the illiterate pronouncement of one Senator.

But then, it is also a truism that quite a few Americans are tolerant depending on who they are addressing.

Forget Asians, the Americans claim to be tolerant of Jews, but you keep seeing news reports of celebrities badmouthing the Jews now and then..........and then apologising.
Ray most senators and celebrities do these things for money ;received for a hidden agenda
By some groups. There are many lobbies throwing millions around .

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag

I agree 100%, Americans are tolerant by and large. There are hundreds of Indians in the US living happy and contented lives. Hell, Indians are the most successful community in the US, the richest people out there. This wouldn't have been possible in a bigoted or racist nation.

USA is a great country, there is no second thought about that.

But like I said, we detest the moral preaching and lecturing from the Western nations, including the USA. In spite of India being a hugely tolerant and secular nation, we always get demonized as a primitive and backward place without any freedom or secularism or rights. That pisses me off. That is what prompted the creation of this thread.

sgarg

You should learn to differentiate between India and Indians. When an Indian goes and lives in USA, the India part is in the background. USA is a nation of immigrants and Indians are seen no different.

However when an American politician talks about India, the politics comes into picture. The American foreign policy has been either hostile or indifferent to India for the last 60 years.

India's position has improved ONLY in the last 15 years in the eyes of USA. But that improvement is not much. It is more related to economic ties rather than political ties.

We must recognize the reality and move on.

MANT!

To me, it matters not one iota what a few Senators, of a minor state assembly, in one of the least populated states in the USA, do on the job or even what they say, they'll be held responsible (or not) by their constituents.. I bet this played well with the Bible toting crowd that voted for them (or the particular rich individuals that sponsored their campaigns).
I happen to think that one's beliefs are private, for each of us to decide for ourselves and for us to keep our thoughts about other religions private as well..

I'd hope that the particular Senator who made that asinine statement wouldn't get elected again, but I'd not underestimate the stupidity of the electorate in his district. The problem is that "Freedom of Speech" thing in the US Constitution allows him to say such comments.

Actually, I'd like to hear that particular prayer, Was it in English?

ladder

Country flag

To me, it matters not one iota what a few Senators, of a minor state assembly, in one of the least populated states in the USA, do on the job or even what they say, they'll be held responsible (or not) by their constituents.. I bet this played well with the Bible toting crowd that voted for them (or the particular rich individuals that sponsored their campaigns).
I happen to think that one's beliefs are private, for each of us to decide for ourselves and for us to keep our thoughts about other religions private as well..

I'd hope that the particular Senator who made that asinine statement wouldn't get elected again, but I'd not underestimate the stupidity of the electorate in his district. The problem is that "Freedom of Speech" thing in the US Constitution allows him to say such comments.

Actually, I'd like to hear that particular prayer, Was it in English?
The problem is that "Freedom of Speech" thing in the US Constitution allows him to say such comments.
Actually no, you need to re-visit your studies about first amendment ( and 14th amendment).

In free speech, this is what is the raider.

The freedom of speech is not absolute; the Supreme Court of the United States has recognized several categories of speech that are excluded from the freedom, and it has recognized that governments may enact reasonable time, place, or manner restrictions on speech.
Within it, the most simplest one that the statement violates is

use of untruths to harm others (slander).
and
Distinctions are often made between speech and other acts which may have symbolic significance.
What she said is this

Nuxoll says she declined to attend because she believes the United States is a Christian nation.

"Hindu is a false faith with false gods," she said. "I think it's great that Hindu people can practice their religion but since we're the Senate, we're setting an example of what we, Idaho, believe."
Now decide whether USA is a Christian Nation?

The United States does not have an official religion at either the federal or state level. There are some traditional customs such as the use of a Bible when taking oaths in court, or for the President of the United States during the oath of office, but neither of these are required or codified by law. The First Amendment to the United States Constitution is written as "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances" and is held to be applied to the various U.S. states via the Fourteenth Amendment. Furthermore, Article Six of the United States Constitution prohibits the use of any religious test as qualification for any public office.
==========

Now, because what she has said ( She believes USA is a Christian state and Idaho ( the state) believes, so) she has used a untruth ( USA isn't a Christian state neither is Idaho) to slander another religion.
She can't take refuge in free speech.

Definition of slander

Defamation—also calumny, vilification, and traducement—is the communication of a false statement that harms the reputation of an individual person, business, product, group, government, religion, or nation as well as other various kinds of defamation that retaliate against groundless criticism.

Under common law, to constitute defamation, a claim must generally be false and have been made to someone other than the person defamed.[1] Some common law jurisdictions also distinguish between spoken defamation, called slander, and defamation in other media such as printed words or images, called libel.[2]
=====================

But don't worry the senator is safe, no Hindu organisation is going to go after her. As 'idiots' are protected.

Later Supreme Court cases dismissed the claim for libel and forbade libel claims for statements that are so ridiculous to be clearly not true, or that involve opinionated subjects such as one's physical state of being
==========

PS everything quoted from respective Wikipedia entries.

ladder

Country flag

Idaho state senator not sorry about Hinduism comments
Idaho state senator not sorry about Hinduism comments | Local & Regional | Boise, Meridian, Nampa, Caldwell, Idaho News, Weather, Sports and Breaking News - KBOI 2

David Alder, a constitutional law professor at Boise State University, says that Nuxoll's view of the United States is incorrect.

"She has betrayed the very constitutional justification for legislative prayer - religious pluralism," he said. Alder says that if all legislators agreed with Nuxoll, it would represent an establishment of religion and violate the First Amendment of the Constitution.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles