High Crime Rate of US/West and India, a Study

mattster

Respected Member
Country flag
Ray, There is one problem with your premise - If you keep letting dumb people create idiotic threads that are full of garbage - then your forum becomes garbage too.

So take a stand - and delete those threads that are utter nonsense.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Ray, There is one problem with your premise - If you keep letting dumb people create idiotic threads that are full of garbage - then your forum becomes garbage too.

So take a stand - and delete those threads that are utter nonsense.
One of the problems the internet has introduced is that in this electronic village, all the village idiots have internet access.

Further, which are the treads that are utter nonsense - enumerate with reason, please.

santosh10

Further, this is not an American forum where jingoism rules the day. This is a democratic forum of a democratic country, where all views are welcomed and are debated, dumb or intelligent. That is for the posters to feel about each other and has nothing to do with Moderators.

US's Gun Point Democracy

sir, today im proud to see you as a Chairman of this forum :thumb:

and this is what i discussed with my American and British friends both, "having 50%+ voting in UK/US parliament doesn't mean that you may interfere in those states of world like India where you don't share 'equal' voting right."

and then things become more serious when we find them having "Gun Point Democracy", to do whatever they want to do in other countries, just because they have 50%+ votes for their leaders in US's/UK's election, to do so in other parts of the world who don't have "equal" voting right for their civilians in American/British parliamentary election.

how democracy is discussed without "Freedom of Speech"? how this "Gun Point Democracy" is justified this way? :facepalm:

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
@santosh10,

Do not bring me into all this.

I am a mere observer and my comments are beyond partisan outlook.

Further, you should also temper down your style of replies. Let it not appear offensive.

Also, quit calling attention of people without cause in your reply such as @ray.

If a post warrants my attention, I will address it on my own inclination to do so.

Last edited by a moderator:

santosh10

India Ranks Lower Than Pakistan on Gender Equality

India ranks 132 out of 187 countries on the gender inequality index – lower than Pakistan (123), according to the United Nations Development Program's Human Development Report 2013. :laugh:
:balle:

The report said all countries in South Asia, with the exception of Afghanistan, were a better place for women than India :rofl:, with Sri Lanka (75) topping them all. Nepal ranked 102nd and Bangladesh 111th. :ranger:

The annual U.N. report assesses how well countries world-wide are performing on human development indicators like health, education and income.

The gender inequality index measures the loss in a country's progress and human development because of gender inequality in three sectors: reproductive health, women empowerment and labor market participation.

The report notes that "gender inequality is especially tragic not only because it excludes women from basic social opportunities, but also because it gravely imperils the life prospects of future generations." :facepalm:

India ranks low partly because of its skewed sex ratio, with only 914 females every 1000 males, according to Indian government data. Indian families often prefer boys to girls, and female feticide is tragically common.

The UNDP study says that only 29% of Indian women above the age of 15 in 2011 were a part of the country's labor force, compared to 80.7% men. In Parliament, only 10.9% of lawmakers are women, while in Pakistan 21.1% are women.

In United States which ranks 42nd on the list, 57.5% women and 70.1% men are a part of the labor force. China fared even better, landing 35th.

India also fares badly on education and health for women.

Only 26.6% women above 25 years received a secondary education in 2010, compared to 50.4% of men. Pakistan scored even lower, with 18.3% of women having received secondary education compared to 43.1% of men.

In the U.S., 94.7% women have received a secondary education – a figure slightly higher than for men (94.3%). In China, this figure was 54.8% for women and 70.4% for men.

In India, 200 women died every 100,000 childbirths, says the report. In China, the number was considerably lower (37 deaths) and in the U.S. even lower than that (21.)

Women's issues in India have been in the limelight since the December gang rape and death of a young woman.

After the incident, widespread protests asking for stronger laws and protection for women took place around the country. Women activists point to the bias against women in India, and say that the patriarchal mindset in India needs to change

After the incident, a committee set up to look into the issue of women safety suggested massive overhauls to existing laws for crime against women. The proposed laws need Parliament's approval.

Overall, the report hails India's economic progress, but points at slow improvements on the human development front. On the human development index, India ranks 136 out of 187 countries mentioned in the study.

India has made strides in reducing poverty by cash transfer and employment guaranteed programs for the poor, the report says. The report praises measures like the Right to Education Act, which reserves seats for the underprivileged in all schools in the country.

But the report mentions that huge income inequalities, gender inequality and the caste divide remain major issues.

India Ranks Lower Than Pakistan on Gender Equality - India Real Time - WSJ

santosh10

New data show 1 in 4 children on food stamps in FY 2011

One in four children in America participated in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, or food stamps, in fiscal year 2011, according to data from the United States Department of Agriculture and U.S. Census Bureau.

The USDA's "Characteristics of Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program Households: Fiscal Year 2011" shows that in 2011, 19.9 million children, or people under 18, received food stamp benefits.

The Census estimates there were 73.9 million children living in the United States in 2011, meaning that 26.9 percent of children, or approximately one in four, were on food stamps in 2011.

The USDA notes that children constituted 45 percent of SNAP participants in 2011. Some philanthropists and policy experts believe efforts to reform SNAP because of high youth enrollment are misguided, arguing that the program ultimately helps the economy and improve kids' health.

But Alabama Republican Sen. Jeff Sessions — one of the most vocal critics of the recent skyrocketing SNAP enrollment numbers and USDA's promotion of the benefit — contends that something must be done about government policies and a USDA that he says is more interested in enrolling Americans in the program than finding real solutions.

"It has become sadly clear that Agriculture Secretary Vilsack wishes to make welfare part of the normal American experience, with no regard for social or economic consequences. How else can you explain why he gave an award to a recruitment worker for overcoming the 'mountain pride' of rural Americans?" Sessions told The Daily Caller, recalling one of the many outreach efforts the USDA has engaged in over the years to get more people on SNAP. (RELATED: USDA suggests people host food stamp parties to boost SNAP enrollment)

Indeed, the trajectory of the food stamp program has in recent years been up — with spending on the program doubling in the last four years and quadrupling since 2001. Approximately 15.5 million additional recipients have been added to the SNAP rolls since the beginning of 2009.

The most recent national SNAP participation numbers were released Friday for the month of October, coming in at 47.5 million participants, or about 1 in 6.5 Americans. In the 1970s, 1 out of every 50 Americans participated in the program.

The new October numbers show a slight decrease from the record 47.7 million reported for the month of September. Republican staffers on the Senate budget committee noted, however, that the September numbers were somewhat inflated due to the Disaster Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program benefits offered to victims of Hurricane Isaac in Louisiana and Mississippi, which appeared in the national totals.

Neither the August nor October totals include SNAP disaster assistance, meaning that the trend was still upward from August to October, when individual participation increased by 422,564.

"Welfare spending has jumped thirty percent in three years, and the result has been more poverty, not less. It is time to return to the moral principles of the 1996 reform: strengthening family, building community and helping more Americans find good jobs and brighter futures." (RELATED: Welfare spending tops budget in 2011)

However, a study by the National Poverty Center found that SNAP helped reduce the number of "extremely poor" children and households by 50 percent in 2011, when counting the programs' benefits as income. The study broadly defined "extremely poor" households as those earning $2 or less in income per person, per day.

In 2011, welfare spending was the single largest budget item, with federal and state government spending more than a trillion dollars on federal means-tested assistance programs, including SNAP.

New data show 1 in 4 children on food stamps in FY 2011 | The Daily Caller

Romney offers no apologies for "victims" remarks

(AP) WASHINGTON — Already scrambling to steady a struggling campaign, Republican Mitt Romney confronted a new headache Monday after a video surfaced showing him telling wealthy donors that almost half of all Americans "believe they are victims" entitled to extensive government support. He added that as a candidate for the White House, "my job is not to worry about those people." :tsk:

At a hastily called news conference late in the day, Romney offered no apologies for his remarks, and when he was asked if he was concerned he had offended anyone, he conceded the comments weren't "elegantly stated" and they were spoken "off the cuff."

Romney to campaign donors: Obama voters "dependent," see selves as "victims" :facepalm:

Romney offers no apologies for "victims" remarks - CBS News

santosh10

Prostitution and Poverty in the UK

In Britain, the recession has left many people struggling to make ends meet, but reports have shown that young people – young single mothers in particular, are feeling the worst of austerity, and many are turning to prostitution in pursuit of financial security. :facepalm:

Things are likely to get worse. In 2013-2014, a lone parent would receive on average £46.80 a year less in benefits due to governmental changes, while a couple with children would miss out on £52 a year. In 2014-2015, the projected figures are £260 less for single parents and £156 less for couples with children. In short, single parents – often the most financially vulnerable – are facing the harshest cuts in benefits.

This has led to an increase in prostitution, which has affected the industry's economy; many sex workers are reducing their charges (sometimes as much as 50 per cent) in order to beat competition from other sex workers. This contributes to a viscous circle; more single parents – usually women, enter prostitution out of financial desperation.:facepalm: Due to the increase in sex workers, they need to engage in the industry more to acquire the money they need. This in turn leads to a further increase in active sex workers and a further devaluation of prostitution ad infinitum.

One thing is clear – tough policing and stricter legislation is not the solution. Ukraine's capital – Kyiv has struggled with high prostitution levels since it gained independence in 1991, after the collapse of the Soviet Union. In 2005, it introduced more rigorous legislation to try to combat the problem, to little effect. The country co-hosted the Euro 2012 football tournament with Poland and prepared itself for the explosion in sex tourism. Kyiv alone has an estimated 50,000 sex workers, twice that of the whole of Holland, despite prostitution being illegal in Ukraine and legal in Holland. And some suspect that this figure is even higher, with many young Ukrainian sex workers not wanting to come forward due to fear of shaming and imprisonment.

The only way to tackle the exploitation of young women is to tackle its root cause – poverty. To do otherwise would be like treating a disease with tissues instead of medicine. This can be achieved without reversing the entire austerity program (which no UK government is realistically likely to do).

Firstly, the government could take up Ed Miliband's living wage proposals. The introduction of this policy – providing tax incentives to companies who pay a living wage instead of a minimum wage to their employees (£7.45 per hour outside London and £8.55 in London, compared to the £6.19 minimum wage) would save the taxpayer £2.2bn,according to the think tank Resolution Foundation. It would also help to minimise in-work poverty, which would help single parents make ends meet without turning to prostitution. :ranger:

Another step would be to reintroduce the Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA), as many of the hardest hit are young people – this includes students. The Women's National Commission (a UK women's issues pressure group) claim the shocking statistic that "50-75% of women in prostitution entered before they were 18" and that many of these had been absent from education throughout this time. Reconsidering the £9,000 tuition fee would also help to reduce the number of students turning to the sex industry out of fear of mountainous debts.

Of course, this article does not intend to argue for or against sex work as a career choice. There is a persuasive case made by libertarians and some sex-positive feminists that willing engagement in prostitution is a matter of personal liberty for those involved and not the concern of third parties. Without divulging into a philosophical discussion about such liberties, it is worth mentioning the statistic that in a study on feminism and psychology, 92 per cent of sex workers said that they wanted to leave prostitution "immediately". In a different study, 74 per cent of women cited "poverty", paying "household expenses" and supporting children as a "primary motivator" for involvement in the industry. It should be clear by now that the vast majority of European sex workers are exploited out of economic desperation and are not pursuing a career that they necessarily consider legitimate, empowering or advisable – whatever one's position on such political theory.

"She was too ignorant as yet to know that the chances of her finding work unaided were practically nil; but the next four days gradually enlightened her", read the pages of A Clergyman's Daughter – George Orwell's understated and second novel. The book is an exploration of poverty in the 1930s, in which the protagonist, Dorothy, is swept away by the cruel realities of homeless men and women, some of whom become sex workers for mild reprieve. She is bailed out by a rich relative while being "on the very verge of becoming one" – a prostitute. Unfortunately – even in the 21st century, not everybody is that lucky.

Prostitution and Poverty in the UK | Left Foot Forward

santosh10

Unskilled Jobs are Low Paid

further to the above news, I have been supporting any cultural values including Catholic Christianity, which advocate Family Values. as here, who is responsible for the above state of Single Mothers of Western nations, and why men don't bear expanses of the kids of these mothers? this type of news i have read about Italy quite often :ranger:

WESTERN EMPOWERED WOMEN, WHO CAN'T HELP THEMSELVES :tsk:

The Measure of Empowered Women

I made 4 posts on Mr Obama's Twitter about women empowerment as below. i think these posts may be kept here also, to keep its a record in this thread too.

Mr Barack Obama's statement on Twitter on 23rd January 2014, ""You can judge a nation, and how successful it will be, based on how it treats its women and its girls." —President Obama"

My Comment:-

1st; thats true. a strong nation is defined on the level it gives priority to its weak part of society. like women/schedule caste in india

2nd; only women/schedule caste in India get scholarships/ reservations in exams/jobs. and empowering women means, one day they will help others

3rd; one and there is only one measure of "Empowered Women", whether they reach a day when they may help other weak parts of society too :thumb:

4th; and Im strongly against encouraging girls only to fcuk here there, but not giving them right advises to go high in life/career.

Last edited:

pmaitra

@santosh10, over-use of smileys actually makes the reading an annoying experience. It is a good thing that you are posting links. It would help if you summarize your points and post excerpts. If a thread is full of complete articles, it might scare the readers away.

Writing shot paragraphs that attract attention is an art, which I am trying to perfect myself.

Just a piece of advise, but in no way binding on you.

santosh10

@santosh10, over-use of smileys actually makes the reading an annoying experience. It is a good thing that you are posting links. It would help if you summarize your points and post excerpts. If a thread is full of complete articles, it might scare the readers away.

Writing shot paragraphs that attract attention is an art, which I am trying to perfect myself.

Just a piece of advise, but in no way binding on you.

i will take care of your advise. i generally keep a drink on my hands and keep putting "ranger"......

i would use very few emotions from now onwards. thanks

Sylex21

You are correct.

Higher crime rate means more crimes are being reported.

I am not sure whether higher rate of reporting is the same thing as higher law enforcement, unless we are talking about taking action after the crime has been committed.

How does that apply on India, and its endemic crime rate of certain types?
I meat that crimes are more likely to be reported when there is a greater chance of action being taken. If I am pick pocketed at a train station in Delhi, I might not even bother to report it to the police because the chances of them ever doing anything or catching the pickpocket are near zero. If the same thing happened in the USA I might be more likely to report it to the police and they might be more likely to actually do something and/or catch the pickpocket. Comes down to western and advanced nations having better infrastructure of all types including more responsive law enforcement, and hence a partial explanation for the higher reporting of crime rates.

santosh10

India must Maintain and Reduce The Traditional Crime Rate, at any Price

Japan must be considered as a Role Modal to build a Prosper India, with Lower Crime Rate too :india:

here, we have a legend to learn from the mistakes of today's industrialized nations, and we find there are mainly 2 categories of Developed Nations. one with very low crime rate, which includes Japan, Taiwan, Singapore, Korea type Asian Industrialized nations. while on the other side we find US and many other Wealthy Countries gained wealth along with very high crime rate too, no matter how much Welfare/Social Security/Medicare etc they provide to their people. and India must learn from these nations, there must be a study on the high crime rate of US/West, before India become a Rich nation.

we have data's of 2008 as below, before recession in US so it does mean that this analysis explains the peak of US, it had till 2008. and there must be a common consensus among all the political parties, systems of India that India must maintain 400 or below criminal incidents per 100,000 population in future too, even if it maintain low growth rate also, but we want crime rate of India to be lower than what it traditionally maintained till 2008, as below.

for example, Indian politicians, bureaucrats, senior position holders in security agencies may sit altogether and discuss, "what if India register only 2% growth rate for the next 20 years, will it help us maintain the current crime rate, with a space to reduce it too? and even if we get (-)ve growth rate from today, is it a better option as compare to have high growth rate and then have a very high Crime Rate society like Rich US/West? or, we may learn something from Japan, which has Buddhist background, means having some similarities with Indian cultural background too, to maintain low crime rate, along with high Growth Rate :india:"

=>

The Role Modal of Asia, The Japan

here we find Japan's prison rate at very close to India, even if its the most advanced nation of Asia, while owning the best technologies of world, which was developed by the Japanese people itself, (in contrast to USA which mostly hired migrant professionals.) and the reason behind it, the "Likelihood of being a Vitim" is itself very low at 13.11, the lowest due to their Cultural Background, i think. here we find Japan refusing to accept that being a rich nation means for high crime rate too :truestory:

A Crime mainly Means for its Seriousness

and i repeat, "Incarceration Rate is the best way to measure Crime Rate as we do know that long term imprisonment is applicable to serious crimes only. means, if there were few fighting on the streets then you would be released within days if no serious injuries. but if someone died, or someone was raped, then obviously you would go for a very long."

its so simple that, there might be so many driving offenses which can result is penalty only in most of cases, while a crime does means for its seriousness, like robberies/ murders/ serious assaults/ rape/ drugs smuggling etc....... even having small amount of drugs for personal use isn't a punishable offense in Australia, but smuggling drugs does means for 10years+ imprisonment, and here we mainly look on the Incarceration Rate comparison.

as we do know that even if many types of small crimes go unpunished in a developing country, like driving offenses etc, the major crimes like murders/rapes/robberies can't go unnoticed as we do have proper identities of civilians/IDs of people in developing countries like India/Indonesia/ Philippines/Vietnam type countries, and here we again find "Incarceration Rate" comparison of our interests :thumb:

Last edited:

santosh10

Comes down to western and advanced nations having better infrastructure of all types including more responsive law enforcement, and hence a partial explanation for the higher reporting of crime rates.

and thats why we have a comparison of Super Advanced Nation, the USA, with others as below too. for example of Japan or even Germany at '90' as below, how Super Power USA having 10 times+ Prison rate as compare to these two, who also having the best technologies of world? there are many European countries with Prison Population at less than 100 per 100,000 and the first post#1, does confirm that Incarceration rate of US was well below 100 till 1975.
(please check my last post about "A Crime Mainly Means for Its Seriousness".)

=>

we find rise in US's debt and rise Incarceration Rate of US since 1975 had a similar trend as below. but yes, 2008 recession does bring this curve down, the first fall in this curve after 1975. mainly because of fall of drugs cases, less money and less drugs cases since the recession.......

Total US debt soars to nearly $60 trn, foreshadows new recession

"In 50 short years, debt has gone from being a luxury for a few to a convenience for many to an addiction for most to a disease for all," James Butler wrote in an Independent Voters Network (IVN) op-ed. "It is a virus that has spread to every aspect of our economy, from a consumer using a credit card to buy a $0.75 candy bar in a vending machine to a government borrowing $17 trillion to keep the lights on.":toilet:

Total US debt soars to nearly $60 trn, foreshadows new recession — RT USA

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
@santosh10

This thread appears to be a soliloquy as far as you are concerned.

santosh10

@santosh10

This thread appears to be a soliloquy as far as you are concerned.

sir, im discussing the topic, bringing many news and inviting other's ideas. but its mainly on the others who would also come with some good answers :ranger:

here, how would you see my last post#73, comparing rise of Incarceration Rate and rise of US's debt since 1975. if we have a look on the comment of RT on the current US's society as whole, then we do find a certain type of "Debt Addiction" of US's civilians, which is fit with their rise of drugs related cases since 1975 itself, which mainly led to high crime rate since then......

but the last post does state that US's incarceration rate/crime rate was too decent till 1972-75, well maintained below 100 per 100,000 population, below the world's average. and this trend was maintained for the whole of 20th century, upto 1973-75 :thumb:

santosh10

U.S. most armed country with 90 guns per 100 people

Weapons for sale at a gun show near West Point, Kentucky, April 9, 2005. The United States has 90 guns for every 100 citizens, making it the most heavily armed society in the world, a report released on Tuesday said.

(Reuters) - The United States has 90 guns for every 100 citizens, making it the most heavily armed society in the world, a report released on Tuesday said.

U.S. citizens own 270 million of the world's 875 million known firearms, according to the Small Arms Survey 2007 by the Geneva-based Graduate Institute of International Studies.

About 4.5 million of the 8 million new guns manufactured worldwide each year are purchased in the United States, it said.
@W.G.Ewald
"There is roughly one firearm for every seven people worldwide. Without the United States, though, this drops to about one firearm per 10 people," it said.

India had the world's second-largest civilian gun arsenal, with an estimated 46 million firearms outside law enforcement and the military, though this represented just four guns per 100 people there. China, ranked third with 40 million privately held guns, had 3 firearms per 100 people.

Germany, France, Pakistan, Mexico, Brazil and Russia were next in the ranking of country's overall civilian gun arsenals.

On a per-capita basis, Yemen had the second most heavily armed citizenry behind the United States, with 61 guns per 100 people, followed by Finland with 56, Switzerland with 46, Iraq with 39 and Serbia with 38.

France, Canada, Sweden, Austria and Germany were next, each with about 30 guns per 100 people, while many poorer countries often associated with violence ranked much lower. Nigeria, for instance, had just one gun per 100 people.

"Firearms are very unevenly distributed around the world. The image we have of certain regions such as Africa or Latin America being awash with weapons -- these images are certainly misleading," Small Arms Survey director Keith Krause said.

"Weapons ownership may be correlated with rising levels of wealth, and that means we need to think about future demand in parts of the world where economic growth is giving people larger disposable income," he told a Geneva news conference.

The report, which relied on government data, surveys and media reports to estimate the size of world arsenals, estimated there were 650 million civilian firearms worldwide, and 225 million held by law enforcement and military forces.

Five years ago, the Small Arms Survey had estimated there were a total of just 640 million firearms globally.

"Civilian holdings of weapons worldwide are much larger than we previously believed," Krause said, attributing the increase largely to better research and more data on weapon distribution networks.

Only about 12 percent of civilian weapons are thought to be registered with authorities.

U.S. most armed country with 90 guns per 100 people | Reuters

India among world's most violent places
Jun 12, 2013

MUMBAI: The recent Maoist violence in Bastar, which left 28 people dead, is no aberration. The Global Peace Index (GPI) 2013, which was released on Tuesday, has ranked India among the 25 least peaceful nations to live in. :laugh: The country was placed 141 among 162 nations, having lost more than two lives a day — or a staggering 799 persons — to internal conflicts in 2012. (out of 1.25 billion population)

Giving India company at the bottom of the heap are countries like Pakistan, Iraq, South Sudan and Afghanistan, which are traditionally perceived to be more violence-ridden. Iceland emerged as 2012's most peaceful country in the index and the Central African Republic the least. Ironically, India has improved on its 2011 rank by three notches.

India's poor ranking in 2012 was attributed to the high number of internal and external conflicts, ease of access to small and medium weapons and the political terror scale, as in the case of conflict-ridden Kashmir, said the report's author Steve Killelea, of the Institute for Economics and Peace, a global think tank which works on the relationship between economics, business and peace.

Killelea observed more populous countries were less peaceful and it was possible that conflicts in large countries like India were more difficult to manage.

On the positive side, India has reduced its number of deaths from internal conflicts as well as improved the perception of criminality among its citizens, which explains the bettering of its overall rank. "For the first time since 1994, the total number of fatalities linked to conflict within India dropped below four figures, with a notable decline in deaths related to Islamist terrorism, insurgency in J&K and fatalities associated with Maoist insurgency across the Red Belt," stated the report. However, it also refers to border skirmishes between India and its neighbours requiring a large military force and increased defence expenditure, which drags India's overall score down.

The world itself has grown less peaceful, with a 5% decline in scores over the last six years. It was found that more countries deteriorated in peace (110) in 2012 as compared to those which grew more peaceful (48) since 2008. "The findings of this year's index support the prevailing trend of the last six years, namely: a continuing shift away from nations taking up arms against one another and towards more organised internal conflicts. A key factor associated with this is that the peace gap between countries under authoritarian regimes and the rest of the world is becoming larger," said Killelea. This is illustrated by the civil war in Syria — which saw the greatest drop in its peacefulness among the nations analyzed — as well as the climate of political instability in the Middle East.

India among world’s most violent places: Study - The Times of India

=>

while the state of Welfare Society of US is as below :facepalm:

About 11,100 Americans died in gun-related killings in 2011, according to preliminary data from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. There were 19,766 suicides by firearms in 2011, the CDC said.

Thousands march against gun violence in Washington | Reuters

santosh10

@pmaitra
@Sylex21

India among the highest ranked most violent nations

@mattster Gentleman, along with top five ranking of India among the worst place for women to live, we also find a new Western ranking showing India among the 25 most violent places of world. because of staggering 799 deaths due to violence by 2011, out of 1.25 billion population, while gun related score for US for the same year well cross 11,000+.....

the above picture at least shows Bhutan among 25 most peaceful nations, ranked on the place 20th in this list as above. good to see a South Asian nation ranked so high among the peaceful nations, even if India is in top 25 of most Violent places. but, population of India is over 100 times to Bhutan, hence its not compared to even top 30 big states of India, out of hardly 38 states of India.....

we welcome your comment in behalf of this crucial ranking by your US's funded organization. how putting India among the countries like Pakistan, Afghanistan, Congo is logical this way?

thanks

About 11,100 Americans died in gun-related killings in 2011, according to preliminary data from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. There were 19,766 suicides by firearms in 2011, the CDC said.

Sylex21

The above quoted study is discussing violence and seems to have more of an emphasis on "peace" around the world in relation to terrorism and wars more so than local crime. It also seems to be unfairly comparing violence overall rather than per capita in many cases. I noticed a chart on this thread earlier that just compared overall crime but not crime per capita. The figures from China will likely always be unreliable due to strict governmental controls and cover ups, so that leaves India with a massive population. Better to compare the crime stats of all of Africa vs India (about the same population) or the USA + Russia + all of Europe vs India if total figures are used instead of per capita.

I doubt India is one of the most violent places in the world from a non-terrorism, "crime" perspective.

santosh10

The above quoted study is discussing violence and seems to have more of an emphasis on "peace" around the world in relation to terrorism and wars more so than local crime. It also seems to be unfairly comparing violence overall rather than per capita in many cases.

I noticed a chart on this thread earlier that just compared overall crime but not crime per capita. The figures from China will likely always be unreliable due to strict governmental controls and cover ups, so that leaves India with a massive population. Better to compare the crime stats of all of Africa vs India (about the same population) or the USA + Russia + all of Europe vs India if total figures are used instead of per capita.

I doubt India is one of the most violent places in the world from a non-terrorism, "crime" perspective.

India at 1.25billion population is comparable to African Continent at 1.2 billion Population

India is "United States of Indian subcontinent", similar to EU28, North America, South America

this issue is more understood if the Western Media accept India as the 3rd richest country of world, as below :laugh:
and hence, its never justified to put India on the comparison of Congo, for example, while India with 38 states and 1.25billion population with fit in comparison with the whole African continent with around 38 states and 1.2billion population

even if you want to put comparison at area wise, can you compare Russia, Australia, Canada with EU28, who both have bigger land areas than EU28? :tsk: there must always be a logic behind the comparison of India and Congo. India at 50 times population and 38 states+ like Congo, simply can't be compared with each others......

=>

MUMBAI: The recent Maoist violence in Bastar, which left 28 people dead, is no aberration. The Global Peace Index (GPI) 2013, which was released on Tuesday, has ranked India among the 25 least peaceful nations to live in. :laugh: The country was placed 141 among 162 nations, having lost more than two lives a day — or a staggering 799 persons — to internal conflicts in 2012. (out of 1.25 billion population)

Giving India company at the bottom of the heap are countries like Pakistan, Iraq, South Sudan and Afghanistan, which are traditionally perceived to be more violence-ridden.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...violent-places-Study/articleshow/20548447.cms
It's not that minority in Pakistan is suffering and majority is safe. We all are suffering. In India only Kashmirs are suffering while the rest of India is dancing to the tunes of Bollywood
here, Usman, out of the total staggering 7,99 deaths due to conflicts in India last year, in 2011, around 400+ would be because of moist issues in Bihar, West Bengal region, i think. around 100 to 200 would be because of the things ongoing in North East region. around 100 for the rest of India. with keeping around 30-40 deaths in Indian Kashmir for the same year. the number for Kashmir for that year would be well below 50, check :thumb:

Last edited:

santosh10

The above quoted study is discussing violence and seems to have more of an emphasis on "peace" around the world in relation to terrorism and wars more so than local crime.
here, when we want to discuss 'peace' and having a look on the number of wars the US has in different parts of world to fight for 'peace' there, i sincerely believe that at least 10% of the gun related deaths in US by the same year 2011, must be because of direct conflicts between groups, between security agencies and other groups. drugs dealers and the rise of militias in US has also been a news.
i would put at least 1000 gun related deaths in US in 2011 due to conflicts/clashes, as compare to 799 staggering deaths in India for the same reason that year.....

=> Hate groups, citizen militias surge in U.S. as race and economy fuel tensions | National Post

Global Defence

New threads

Articles