Status
Not open for further replies.

rockey 71

M.G.S. Narayanan
Become a fan

Historian, academic, Former Chairman of India Council Of Historical Research

Here's The Unpalatable Truth About Beef And Hinduism
Posted:27/10/2015 08:54 ISTUpdated:27/10/2015 09:38 IST

Agni: The Vedic Ritual of the Fire Altar). They preserved the text of theVedasas an oral tradition exclusively for themselves, and prohibited the learning of theVedasby Sudras. This rule must have been implemented in kingdoms where the Brahmins had control over the kings -- to the extent to which the control could be enforced in administration.

"Brahmin sages who lived in forest hermitages entertained their guests by killing calves and offering beef... That is how the termatithiacquired the synonym ofgoghna(killer of cows)."

The Vedas were considered"apaurusheya"or "of non-human character", thereby suggesting a divine origin. The text consisted of simple songs invoking different deities like Indra, Agni, Varuna, Aditya, Rudra etc. No temples or idol worship are mentioned anywhere inthe Vedas, although temples and idol worship, with universal deities like Siva and Vishnu, were in place by the beginning of the Christian era. The people of the Kshatriya and VaisyaVarnaswere permitted to share some aspects of Vedic training and rituals. These three were classified astraivarnikasand treated as the upperVarnas, while the fourthVarnaof Sudras were slaves destined to serve others. They were prevented from using common wells and roads. There were different groups even among the Sudras. For instance, the Chandalas who ate the flesh of dead cows and dogs lived outside the villages as outcastes.

Some ancient texts inform that the Brahmin sages (rishis) who lived in forest hermitages (asramas) entertained their guests (atithis, or people who came without prior notice, without looking for the propertithi) by killing calves and offering beef, considered to be a delicious item of food reserved for honoured guests. That is how the termatithiacquired the synonym ofgoghna, killer of cows (seeAncient Indiaby R S Sharma). Animal slaughter for sacrifice was common during the Vedic age. The sacrificial animal was calledpasu, a term that is used to denote the cow in Kerala. In the ancient law books likeManusmriti, the Kshatriyas were permitted to kill animals in hunting and consume their meat. In Valmiki'sRamayanathere is a reference to Sita, wife of Rama, the Kshatriya prince of Ayodhya, keeping watch (during their time of exile in the forest) over the meat of animals drying in the sun.

Gautama Buddha, a Kshatriya prince of the Sakya clan, did not propound a new religion, as mentioned in several history books, but tried to reform society in the light of his thoughts and experiences. He asked king Bimbisara to give up animal sacrifice advocated by the Brahmin priests. However, he does not appear to have given up meat eating, for theBuddhist textssuggest that he died as a result of eating tender pig in his old age.

Many of the Brahmin pundits of Kashmir are meat eaters, and the Brahmins of Bengal have a great liking for fish which they callGanga pushpa. They cook the head of the fish too, and serve it as the most important item for the chief guest in the house.

"The pressure of public opinion and the operation of democratic principles and, above all, the real Hindu ethos of peaceful coexistence must be counted as positive factors leading to a compromise."

However, an objection to beef prevailed in many Indian families, probably because the cow was a lovable domestic animal, highly valued by agriculturists and pastoralists who used not only milk and milk products but also the cow's urine and cow dung for their medicinal value. The bullocks were used in carts which formed the most important form of transport in rural India. The common men, women and children cherished the cow and bull close to their heart. Moreover, it was a quiet and inexpensive asset in a land of vast open grasslands and streams. Krishna, the most popular deity in the villages, had the cow and the flute as his favourite symbols. Indra'sKamadhenuwas the incarnation of wish fulfilment in Puranic literature. All this created a sentimental aversion for beef eating, which was not shared by the urbanised Muslim warriors of West Asia who invaded India.

To the best of my knowledge, beef was not served in university canteens except Calicut, Aligarh and Delhi. In Vasant Kunj, a part of Delhi where we lived, and in many other parts of the city, Muslims could not get houses for rent or purchase. Those who wanted to eat beef had to get it secretly from the premises of the big mosque in Old Delhi. This was the case in many other cities and towns of India in the last century. Such prejudices got articulated and organised with the sweeping electoral victory of the Hindutva party in the last election. The constitutional safeguards of individual freedom were forgotten by those who got intoxicated with the taste of power at the centre.

However, the traditional wisdom and tolerance of the common people in India, fostered by great rulers like Asoka and Akbar in the past and re-asserted by Mahatma Gandhi, the Father of the Nation, and demonstrated so powerfully during Emergency, is bound to prevail in the long run against the outbursts of sections of the ruling party. There are already indications in the public statements of the Prime Minister and other leaders that serious efforts have been made, and some steps have already been taken towards damage control.

"Minorities have to be protected at any cost, but they must also be trained to respect the majority."

Again, there are administrative compulsions in a country like India with her great variety and long history of civilised social life. The pressure of public opinion and the operation of democratic principles and, above all, the real Hindu ethos of peaceful coexistence must be counted as positive factors leading to a compromise. The most urgent duty of the leaders of all political parties and public intellectuals appears to be to defuse the tension by avoiding provocative talk and action.

The leaders of all political parties have to undertake the serious responsibility of educating the Muslim and Hindu masses about their true history and cultural heritage through art and literature. This has been neglected for a long time. Women and children in rural India have to be empowered so that they can act as the agents of renaissance. Attention has to be focussed on development without sacrificing the requirements of ecology and nature. Minorities have to be protected at any cost, but they must also be trained to respect the majority. While permitting freedom of faith and worship for all groups, nobody must be allowed to criticise in public another person's religion and culture.

Hindustan Times via Getty Images
  • Next
MORE:
Beef BanHinduismIndia BeefHindu

rockey 71

http://www.huffingtonpost.in/2015/10/27/cow-urine-mumbai-corporat_n_8396836.html?utm_hp_ref=india

Use Cow Urine To Clean Mumbai Hospitals: Congress Corporator
PTI
Posted: 27/10/2015 15:10 ISTUpdated: 1 hour ago

MUMBAI -- A Congress Corporator in Mumbai, Parminder Bhamra, wants Mumbai civic body to use cow urine to sanitise hospitals across the metropolis.

Bhamra has said cow urine has ‘germ-killing’ property and he has been using it for long to clean his home.

The Corporator from Malad, North Mumbai has submitted a proposal to the Shiv Sena-BJP run Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC), urging it to use cow urine as disinfectant in public hospitals.

“Gomutra (cow urine) has been used for this purpose since ages. I use it at home every day. It kills germs and is easily available; I get it from the nearby gaushala (cattle shed). I am sure even hospitals can be cleaned properly using it,” said Bhamra on Monday.

The Congress leader also wants private hospitals to be cleaned with cow urine.

Asked if his proposal would face opposition from political parties, Bhamra told PTI that he did not see such a thing happening. “I wish to remind people that cow with her calf was once the symbol of my party.

“This is not a political issue. I have made the proposal keeping in view my personal experience in using cow urine for cleaning and considering its medicinal properties,” Bhamra maintained.

However, doctors did not appear enthusiastic about Bhamra’s idea.

Avinash Supe, Dean of KEM Hospital, said, “I am not aware of this particular proposal or who suggested it. I’ll have to check its effectiveness before commenting.”

Bhamra’s proposal is marked on the agenda for the BMC general meeting on November 3.

In March, cow urine was touted as a cure for cancer in the Rajya Sabha by BJP member Shankarbhai N. The BJP MP had said, “If you want to save yourself from cancer, there is a need to protect cows on a priority because cow urine is effective in curing cancer completely.”

sydsnyper

Country flag
All you need to know about the 'beef' with beef in India is this...

However, an objection to beef prevailed in many Indian families, probably because the cow was a lovable domestic animal, highly valued by agriculturists and pastoralists who used not only milk and milk products but also the cow's urine and cow dung for their medicinal value. The bullocks were used in carts which formed the most important form of transport in rural India. The common men, women and children cherished the cow and bull close to their heart. Moreover, it was a quiet and inexpensive asset in a land of vast open grasslands and streams.
The Dadri killing which may have re-kindled your feelings for the ummah, was not because the bugger ate beef, but because he was understood to have been stealing cattle - which like the quote suggests still is the livelihood for so many people in that part of the world - and butchering them for meat for selling.

You wanna counter that ??

sydsnyper

Country flag
You think cow urine is weird, have you heard of a quite scientific treatment called as fecal transplant ??? Google it :p :p :p

As for Gau mutra, read below...

A 2012 study published in the journal Ancient Science of Life suggested rats with diabetes that were fed Gomutra Ark had significantly lower blood glucose levels than rats in a control group did. "This study supports the traditional use of Gomutra Ark in diabetes," the researchers wrote, noting that it has a "high therapeutic index and is safe for chronic use."

And a 2013 study in the International Brazilian Journal of Urology claimed that distilled cow urine might help to prevent the development of kidney stones in rats.
http://www.livescience.com/42529-cow-urine-health-benefits-gomutra-ark.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.in/2015/10/27/cow-urine-mumbai-corporat_n_8396836.html?utm_hp_ref=india

Use Cow Urine To Clean Mumbai Hospitals: Congress Corporator
PTI
Posted: 27/10/2015 15:10 ISTUpdated: 1 hour ago

MUMBAI -- A Congress Corporator in Mumbai, Parminder Bhamra, wants Mumbai civic body to use cow urine to sanitise hospitals across the metropolis.

Bhamra has said cow urine has ‘germ-killing’ property and he has been using it for long to clean his home.

The Corporator from Malad, North Mumbai has submitted a proposal to the Shiv Sena-BJP run Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC), urging it to use cow urine as disinfectant in public hospitals.

“Gomutra (cow urine) has been used for this purpose since ages. I use it at home every day. It kills germs and is easily available; I get it from the nearby gaushala (cattle shed). I am sure even hospitals can be cleaned properly using it,” said Bhamra on Monday.

The Congress leader also wants private hospitals to be cleaned with cow urine.

Asked if his proposal would face opposition from political parties, Bhamra told PTI that he did not see such a thing happening. “I wish to remind people that cow with her calf was once the symbol of my party.

“This is not a political issue. I have made the proposal keeping in view my personal experience in using cow urine for cleaning and considering its medicinal properties,” Bhamra maintained.

However, doctors did not appear enthusiastic about Bhamra’s idea.

Avinash Supe, Dean of KEM Hospital, said, “I am not aware of this particular proposal or who suggested it. I’ll have to check its effectiveness before commenting.”

Bhamra’s proposal is marked on the agenda for the BMC general meeting on November 3.

In March, cow urine was touted as a cure for cancer in the Rajya Sabha by BJP member Shankarbhai N. The BJP MP had said, “If you want to save yourself from cancer, there is a need to protect cows on a priority because cow urine is effective in curing cancer completely.”

thethinker

Country flag
What's with these Bangladeshis and their sudden love for all things anti Hindu ?

Just like Pakis who revere ancient Mughal barbarians that raped their ancestors, Bangladeshis here suddenly seem to revere Pakis who raped theirs during 1971 war.

Stockholm syndrome, @rockey 71 ?

thethinker

Country flag
You think cow urine is weird, have you heard of a quite scientific treatment called as fecal transplant ??? Google it :p :p :p
Don't waste time countering their troll threads.

A treatment similar to what Pakis get here will be given to the Bangladeshi anti Hindu anti India trolls here.

:popcorn:

brational

Country flag
What's with these Bangladeshis and their sudden love for all things anti Hindu ?

Just like Pakis who revere ancient Mughal barbarians that raped their ancestors, Bangladeshis here suddenly seem to revere Pakis who raped theirs during 1971 war.

Stockholm syndrome, @rockey 71 ?
He is a Urdu Speaking(Pakistani) residing in Bangladesh..

thethinker

Country flag
He is a Urdu Speaking(Pakistani) residing in Bangladesh..
Thanks for the info.

The trolling theme did seem very Paki like- cow piss drinking and ghaas phoos eating indians.
Kind of what's expected from Paki trolls regardless of where they live.

@rockey 71 - Another thread about idol worshipping indians soon to be opened too?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles