Henderson Brooks report made public

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
The HB report appears to cover the politics of 1962. Even the outcome of the war itself seems to be more important politically than tactically.

The fighting war was over, but a new diplomatic war had begun. After more than thirty years of border tension and stalemate, high-level bilateral talks were held in New Delhi starting in February 1994 to foster "confidence-building measures" between the defense forces of India and China, and a new period of better relations began.
China India War 1962-1963

Colloquium Brief
U.S. Army War College,
The National Bureau of Asian Research
OTHER PEOPLE'S WARS:
PLA LESSONS FROM FOREIGN CONFLICTS
Daniel Alderman
Joe Narus
The National Bureau of Asian Research
KEY INSIGHTS:
"¢ The Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) has not fought in a major war since 1979, but has studied the
lessons of modern foreign conflicts from throughout the world. In some cases, those lessons have resulted
in observable changes to the PLA's strategic, tactical, or operational posture.
"¢ Conversely, what lessons from foreign conflicts the PLA has chosen not to explore may be equally illumi-
nating for contemporary PLA watchers as they seek to better understand PLA self-perceptions, intentions,
and doctrine. Although it is more difficult to observe what potential lessons the PLA has ignored, the ab-
sence of study may provide important clues into how the PLA views its current and future roles.
"¢ This conference identified the need for further research analyzing how the PLA as an organization pro-
gresses from observing a lesson to implementing that lesson within its ranks. In only limited cases can a
lesson observed by PLA leadership be conclusively linked to an actual adjustment made by the PLA
http://www.strategicstudiesinstitute.army.mil/pubs/download.cfm?q=1062.

Last edited:

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
@Bhadra reinvented history as America China already bhai bhai as early as 1970 when Maxwell released the book. but u pimping only at that time ! how then came bhai bhai then?

u fail to look straight to facts but resort to useless expletives!

I request @mods to bring @hit&run to his place so as to live up to DFI rules!

Sent from my 5910 using Tapatalk 2
Oh come on ! US was so confident of the Chinese good gestures that they even asked you to attack India during 1971 Indo Pak war . It is another thing that you did not . Is not it ??

What more Bhai Bhai you want before 1972 ?

the Sino-Soviet border clashes took place in 1969. The PRC was diplomatically isolated and the leadership came to believe that improved relations with the United States would be a useful counterbalance to the Soviet threat. Zhou Enlai, the PRC premier foreign minister, was at the forefront of this effort with the committed backing of Mao Zedong.

In 1969, the United States initiated measures to relax trade restrictions and other impediments to bilateral contact, to which China responded.
Nixon and his National Security Advisor Henry Kissinger were too keen to talk to isolated Chinese and the talks were held through Poland and Pakistan. Nixon was afraid that his Democratic opponents may take the China cake away from him and therefore in order to gain electoral advantage at home, he had jumped into China bandwagon from 1969 onwards which was further facilitated by Chinese reducing their participation in Vietnam war by 1970.

You better correct your history ( or rather your dialectical history !!)

Last edited by a moderator:

amoy

@Bhadra do pls enlighten how u dot-line allegations in yr OWN write-up as follows

"¦1969 US relaxed trade restrictions on China

"¦1970 China US leaped to bhai bhai at the time of Maxwell book publication

"¦political background (for Maxwell's book 1970) in yr words: China and US had become bhai bhai + India dubbed as Soviet ally

then furthermore FACTs
-1972 China US dipomatic ties no
rmalized after lots of secret approaches
-1975 VN War in which China backed VN substantially ended

do show yr logical chain in yr efforts to discredit Maxwell book (and possibly Henderson's as well) - >how 1969 relaxaion leaped to 1970 bhai bhai - how alleged bhai bhai as background reduced Maxwell book's credbility in pinpointing India as provocateur.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
@Bhadra do pls enlighten how u dot-line allegations in yr OWN write-up as follows

"¦1969 US relaxed trade restrictions on China

"¦1970 China US leaped to bhai bhai at the time of Maxwell book publication

"¦political background (for Maxwell's book 1970) in yr words: China and US had become bhai bhai + India dubbed as Soviet ally

then furthermore FACTs
-1972 China US dipomatic ties no
rmalized after lots of secret approaches
-1975 VN War in which China backed VN substantially ended

do show yr logical chain in yr efforts to discredit Maxwell book (and possibly Henderson's as well) - >how 1969 relaxaion leaped to 1970 bhai bhai - how alleged bhai bhai as background reduced Maxwell book's credbility in pinpointing India as provocateur.

Yaar Bhai (means Look Friend and Brother)

I gave you a very well proven and documented (US Archives) example of USA asking China to attack India in 1971 ??

Could that have been done unless USA and China were Bhai - Bhai..... ?? ??

About Maxwell... he was in the category of Edgar Snow... copying, stealing, bribing and then falsifying.... an American spy glorifying Chinese Communism as against the Communism of Stalin....

kept quite for so long till 1970 when his masters wanted a goodwill to be built towards China.. then he ejaculated.... Ha .

By the way IDSA have conducted a study on "American Literature on Sino Indian War (Conflict) post 1970" . I having read it, I shall be glad to provide you a reference if I can get it.... or forget it . What matters is my belief..

Americans have been, in the past, one of the detrimental forces around India befriending China, Pakistan and what not and being cause of Indian miseries including those in 1962.... and then appeasing China by way publishing fabricated story as published By Alister Lamb and Maxwell and likes...

How many times you wish me to repeat it ?? You are obviously targeting the present .. Are not you ... the willy Han ??

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Yaar Bhai (means Look Friend and Brother)

I gave you a very well proven and documented (US Archives) example of USA asking China to attack India in 1971 ??

Could that have been done unless USA and China were Bhai - Bhai..... ?? ??

About Maxwell... he was in the category of Edgar Snow... copying, stealing, bribing and then falsifying.... an American spy glorifying Chinese Communism as against the Communism of Stalin....

kept quite for so long till 1970 when his masters wanted a goodwill to be built towards China.. then he ejaculated.... Ha .

By the way IDSA have conducted a study on "American Literature on Sino Indian War (Conflict) post 1970" . I having read it, I shall be glad to provide you a reference if I can get it.... or forget it . What matters is my belief..

Americans have been, in the past, one of the detrimental forces around India befriending China, Pakistan and what not and being cause of Indian miseries including those in 1962.... and then appeasing China by way publishing fabricated story as published By Alister Lamb and Maxwell and likes...

How many times you wish me to repeat it ?? You are obviously targeting the present .. Are not you ... the willy Han ??
Well, maybe ... not quite.

US promised India help if China attacked during 1971 Indo-Pak war - The Times of India
Despite its intense animosity towards India during the 1971 war, the US promised New Delhi "all out" support in case China carried out any unprovoked attack on India, recently declassified documents reveal 40 years after the historic war that created Bangladesh.

The revelations add fresh twist to the narrative of the Indo-Pak war of 1971. Based on a set of freshly declassified documents of the ministry of external affairs, TOI had in early November reported that the US hostility towards India during the 1971 war was far beyond what was publicly known. And that the US had probably also prepared a few Marine battalions for operations against the Indian military.

Communications of the Indian embassy in Washington and of the government in New Delhi show that US offered "all out" help if China were to enter the Indo-Pak standoff to favour its all-weather friend.
The article is from a couple of years ago.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Well, maybe ... not quite.

US promised India help if China attacked during 1971 Indo-Pak war - The Times of India

The article is from a couple of years ago.
The recorded statements of Nixon and Hennery Kissinger on the event are declassified long ago...
My foot ! the country that directed Seventh Fleet into Bay of Bengal will assure India.....

By the way China attacked India in 1962 with a belief (one of the reasons) that India was helping American activities in Tibet in the after math of 1959 apprising in Tibet.... or CIA Tibet activities...

Have no doubt about it on both sides..

However, this Han pseudonym Amoy is targeting present day USA _ India relationships... by constantly asking on US China relationship then... and fermenting me to deliver more venom against USA....

As if I do not understand.. and the Han thinks he is too smart...

amoy

regardless of @Bhadra 's emotional accusations of Maxwell as American spy "glorifying Chinese" "stealing " "falsifying" "¦ under "masters" instruction back in 1970, pls dont beat around the bush - how did u establish logical links in yr allegations - Sino American bhai bhai back in 1970 / Maxwell book as part of US ploy (goodwill? yr new tag haha) ? just yr "belief" or simply assumptions? what else?

targeting the present? pls address the past Q first. how much water does yr claim of Sino US collaboration against India carry ? yr "belief" or victim syndrome again without hard evidence?

as for Amoy "willy han" or "han pseudonym" do they add credit to yr arguments?

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
regardless of @Bhadra 's emotional accusations of Maxwell as American spy "glorifying Chinese" "stealing " "falsifying" "¦ under "masters" instruction back in 1970, pls dont beat around the bush - how did u establish logical links in yr allegations - Sino American bhai bhai back in 1970 / Maxwell book as part of US ploy (goodwill? yr new tag haha) ? just yr "belief" or simply assumptions? what else?

targeting the present? pls address the past Q first. how much water does yr claim of Sino US collaboration against India carry ? yr "belief" or victim syndrome again without hard evidence?

as for Amoy "willy han" or "han pseudonym" do they add credit to yr arguments?

What are we discussing except for present consumption ?

Does it matter for present whether China was American cohort in 1970 ?

Yes, it does matter for the present.... ??

For China, to leave the treacherous behaviour and for India to know that they better stand by herself rather than depending on USA or China !!

It matters a lot for Indian public to know that Maxwell is full of lies and motivated writing directed at appeasing China by USA and the West in a point in history... rather than any imaprtaial investigation.

It is a point of history ... and today's point will be proved by another brother of Maxwell who will justify Indian position based on Henderson Brooke report.... if West and USA wishes to address the Indian sensibilities.... That is all.

any further argument ... the willy Han... ???

Do not take offense... Hindi Chini ... Buy Buy....

bose

Country flag
Re: India BJP targets ruling party over China war report

In 71, Indira wanted to liberate BD, but the good general Sam Bahadur dug in his heels that they need time to prepare. They prepared and then went for a successful campaign.
The army then was wary of 62 type fiasco and wanted to ensure that it is well prepared before going for the killings... The ideal scenario would be to let the East Pakistan slide more and more into the internal strife and chaos bleading both the side of Pakistan... but the Refugee burden and selective killings of Hindus and intellectuals hasten the process of division of Pakistan...

However in 62, Nehru's crony peers with their bloated ego and coup-phobia didn't dig in their heels. Infact, when there was some resistance from IA, quick resignations were accepted.
Already Nehru and his Cronies were wary and suspicious of Air Chief of IAF Subroto Mukherjee, although he was of pre 62 era, Nehru wanted a Army fully subservient to carry out its dictates and the disaster we seen in 62, but my personal opinion is that 62 has taught few lessons that was very important 1) Get to know the real ugly face of China 2) Was able to take measures enough to save ourselves in 65.

However, the fact remains that the Chinese were desperate for a ceasefire as they had exhausted themselves. If bloody Nehru would have persisted for 2 weeks more and had sent up more backup, including airforce, China would have been pushed back completely, maybe even beyond Tibet occupation.

And what do we do? Instead of publicly thrashing Menon, we name a crossroad after him in the national capital. :fp:

When Chinese saw that Americans have started to send few supplies to Indians they knew it could turn the tide and was wary of Korean type situation so they were looking for an excuse to retreat...

It was unfortunate we Indians could not continue or Nehru and his cronies then did not had the leadership for counter attacking China...

What pains me the most is to see the less than adequate infrustructure in the border areas, Is the 50 years not enought for us ?

Last edited:

Pratap

Tihar Jail
Banned
For China, to leave the treacherous behaviour and for India to know that they better stand by herself rather than depending on USA or China !!

Can never happen in politics. Treachery is norm in world arena and asking any nation to give up is like asking lion to eat grass. Chinese, the descendants of Cao Cao and Tang Taizong, are masters in all this .

DBF1954

After reading the HB report there are in my opinion not many new facts in it. However it's interesting how only two copies exist and it's still considered "Top Secret". Think about it: The Chinese Army captured all the maps and papers during the war including many POW's. Now what exacty do they want to keep secret? After all the Chinese have done it, been there and taken photos of every building, all bridges...

It's also worthwhile to mention that the Chinese Army compiled a similar report after the 1962 war.That report is available at military libraries in China and thousends of persons must have read it since 1963. Isn't it important to mention how differently the two nations deal with such an event and how they handle it?

jon88

Country flag
India was aggressor in 1962, not China Read more at: http://indiatod

In new interview, Neville Maxwell says India was aggressor in 1962, not China : India, News - India Today

Now we know why Henderson Brooks report was classified even after half a century. I don't know what to think. Our own Indian government created an imaginary enemy so that we can expand our borders. What a lot of us have suspected, especially after reading so many articles about the 1962 war that implicated India as the aggressor, but our very own report suggesting the same just made me speechless. Made my nearly a lifetime hatred towards China so senseless.....almost like a fool. We were the thief. I wonder how many classified secrets are there in our government vault. The government played us like a puppet.

Jin

Re: India was aggressor in 1962, not China Read more at: http://indi

In new interview, Neville Maxwell says India was aggressor in 1962, not China : India, News - India Today

Now we know why Henderson Brooks report was classified even after half a century. I don't know what to think. Our own Indian government created an imaginary enemy so that we can expand our borders. What a lot of us have suspected, especially after reading so many articles about the 1962 war that implicated India as the aggressor, but our very own report suggesting the same just made me speechless. Made my nearly a lifetime hatred towards China so senseless.....almost like a fool. We were the thief. I wonder how many classified secrets are there in our government vault. The government played us like a puppet.
I feel your pain, brother.

Our countries' history could have been so different. So much better, with so much less bloodshed. Not just for our countries, but for Pakistan too. The Sino-India War was never celebrated in China, because everyone knew it was a massive diplomatic failure, and not a military success.

What is done is done. But it's never too late to rectify this historical tragedy. Let's hope our perspective leaders have the moral courage as well as the wisdom to salvage Sino-Indian relations.

It would indeed be nice to be able to say Hindi-Chini Bhai-Bhai again.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Very Fascinating Account :

FASCINATION WITHOUT END - Neville Maxwell's India war

Fascination without end

Neville Maxwell, the author of India's China War, the prophet of India's dissolution, indefatigable stalker of Jawaharlal Nehru's shade, evangelizing crusader for Mao Zedong's social engineering 'gifts', has returned to his old hunting ground. The subject of his conversation with a mass circulation English language Indian newspaper reporter was the three-volume Henderson Brooks report commissioned by the government of India to investigate the causes of the Indian army's shortcomings in the 1962 conflict with China, the failures in the civilian-military relationship. Lieutenant General Henderson Brooks, by all accounts, provided a meticulously detailed account of what went wrong and why. This is second guessing, because successive governments in Delhi and the bureaucracy have chosen perversely to keep this important document closed to public scrutiny for reasons unbeknownst to man or beast. Maxwell, more fortunate in his endeavours as the London Times correspondent in Delhi, was the recipient of a leaked copy, which he put to profitable use in his magnum opus. Why he should have chosen this of all moments to put out selected extracts from Henderson Brooks on his web after 50 years of studied indifference remains, in Churchill's memorable words, "a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma". It may well be that Maxwell bears a corrosive resentment at being forgotten, remembering that he was once a media celebrity in the West and in China, much quoted as a fount of wisdom on a fraught subject on which there were opinions aplenty with knowledge, like gold dust, a scarce resource. A further reason behind such unseasonal openness is India's general election and the possibility that the revival of a controversy, long dormant, would set the cat among the pigeons in the campaign, a catalyst in regime change perhaps. When his interlocutor put a question on his timing to Maxwell, his coy response apparently was: "Honestly, the election never crossed my mind as bearing on my decision. I don't follow Indian politics nowadays." There are many at home and abroad who don't either, but the international media, in Australia especially, where Maxwell now resides, refer to the coming event during humankind's waking and sleeping hours. It strains credulity that Maxwell as a former media man wasn't in the loop.

Be that as it may, the appearance of his book was little short of a sensation. Nehru's India was in the dock, with Mao's China more sinned against than sinning. The second part of Maxwell's work, the war itself, was culled from Henderson Brooks — the opening half an apologia for Chinese rule in Tibet — and was based on a number of undemanding secondary texts. The absence of archival research is starkly evident. India's China War had a fortuitous birth. The United States of America's blood-soaked Vietnam adventure was in full swing and American popularity with the broad public in the United Kingdom and in Europe had plumbed the depths. Student protests reached fever pitch, as young men and women thronged the streets of London, Paris, Frankfurt and Rome, denouncing the imperialist and colonial world order. In the mainstream, the English historian, A.J.P. Taylor, and Left-leaning politicians and writers, struck by the folly of the US's China policy, its stubborn refusal to restore China's lawful birth right in the United Nations, namely, a seat there as one of the world's big five, became paid-up members of the new club of true believers, from the Great Leap Forward and the People's Communes, to the Great Proletarian Cultural Revolution. Tantalizingly, American diplomacy was on the cusp of a diplomatic revolution: the Nixon administration's historic rapprochement with China and a new chapter of constructive engagement and mutual understanding. The subtext to this epochal development was the commitment of both parties to the containment of the Soviet Union.

India's China War blended well with the general mood. China became the flavour of the season, and the author an inebriating brand for the emergent chinoiserie. Apart from the Liberal-Left, therefore, Maxwell's book of revelations went down well with much of the British political class and their American peers. There was more than a touch of schadenfreude in their grim satisfaction that China — also a foe of the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics — had delivered the uppity Nehru and the obstreperous natives a bloody nose and taught them on their true place in the world.

A second reason for Maxwell's outreach was his bleak view of India: its vaunted democracy, he claimed, was a sham that would wither in the fullness of time. His last dispatch from Delhi in May 1967 contained the dire prediction that the Indian general election of that year would be the country's last before the expected military takeover. This was especially pleasing to raj aficionados in the English shires.This was what they had been saying for years: the Oriental character and ethos were deeply at odds with the mores of representative government; that, being essentially a British imperial construct, India was destined to go the way of the Balkans. Maxwell's views on the subject are best read in his extensive review article in the New York Review of Books, March 23, 1972.

And so to a circular return to the Henderson Brooks report that sent so many in the Indian media into a frightful tizzy. Conflicting positions on mountain tops, in deep valleys, along spurs and the like, were subjected to minute, Lilliputian scrutiny, the absurdity subsumed by Maxwell's bombastic proclamation to his interviewer: "Nehru, not Chinese, declared 1962 war." Neither Nehru, nor the Chinese did anything so dramatic. The conflict was too limited in scope to warrant a declaration. It was a game — granted not very wise or sensible on India's part — that went badly wrong for India. The decision to establish penny packet forward military posts along the contentious Himalayan border — which in themselves could have led to nothing more than an expected incident or two, followed by further Sino-Indian talks. The seeds of the Sino-Indian conflict and the conflict itself arose from larger geostrategic issues. The breakdown of the Sino-Soviet relationship was one — the non-communist world convinced that it was no more than an ideological dispute when it was much more — hobbled Indian diplomacy. Nehru believed, mistakenly, that Moscow would rein in Beijing, when it had lost the power to do so. As China's suspicions of a deepening Indo-Soviet relationship grew, Sino-Indian relations were drawn into the gravitational field of Sino-Soviet relations. In attacking India, Mao sought also to humiliate the Soviet leadership under Nikita Khrushchev. The dispatch to Moscow of the wreckage of an Indian helicopter brought down by Chinese fire was Mao's way of thumbing his nose at the Russians.

A source worthy of scholarly attention is the fourth volume of the collected documents of the Cultural Revolution, compiled and edited by the eminent Harvard historian of China, Roderick MacFarquhar. A notable entry is the advice of certain veterans in the Chinese foreign ministry, who counselled, unsuccessfully, against precipitate military action by Beijing, warning of its negative consequences for the Sino-Indian relationship in the longer term. At the heart of the fraught Sino-Indian relationship, as a Chinese statement pointed out in the aftermath of the 1962 conflict, was Tibet. Tibetan unrest and the Dalai Lama's flight to India in April 1959, where he was greeted warmly by Nehru and the Indian nation at large, and granted asylum was seen as an affront by Beijing. The demon of Han paranoia about China's rebellious ethnic minorities found ready release and has been abroad ever since. Were His Holiness the Dalai Lama and the Tibetan refugee community in India forcibly returned to China, you can bet your bottom dollar that the Sino-Indian territorial dispute would be settled in no time at all. Was China's conflict with India a passing aberration on Beijing's part. Not likely. Vietnam, once as "close to China as lips and teeth", was assailed in February 1979, with Deng Xiaoping promising that "China would teach Hanoi a lesson just as it had taught India a lesson in 1962". India had indeed learnt its lesson, with a rudely awakened Nehru confessing to his Parliament that "we have been living in an artificial world of our own creation". His daughter, Indira Gandhi, well understood that, for Indian diplomacy to be effective India's military had to be brought up to speed. She undertook a successful war in 1971 against Pakistan — a close ally of the United States and China — and knocked down Nixon and Mao from their exalted perch.

Neville Maxwell could have explored and addressed these themes if he were so inclined. He is fixated and diminished by the remains of his endless India war.

The author has written Tibet on the Imperial Chessboard: The Making of British Policy Towards Lhasa, 1899-1925

Last edited:

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Re: India was aggressor in 1962, not China Read more at: http://indi

Shyam Saran: 1962 - The view from Beijing

Shyam Saran: 1962 - The view from Beijing | Business Standard

Revelations in the Henderson Brooks Report should be examined in the light of archival material that is now available on Chinese perceptions and decision-making leading up to the conflict

The release of a substantial section of the top-secret Henderson Brooks Report on the 1962 India-China border war by Neville Maxwell has re-ignited the debate over why India suffered a humiliating defeat then and whether lessons have been learnt even now, given China's relentless march towards superpower status. The refusal of successive governments in Delhi to make the report public has only made such periodic and selective leaks all the more damaging and distracting. The country's interests would be better served by releasing the full report with a commentary that identifies the lessons that have been learnt and the remedial steps taken to ensure that we do not fall into a similar and, perhaps even bigger, disaster again.

A reading of the document, now widely available on the internet, does not reveal any fresh, earth-shaking revelations or insights. Much of the report has been leaked in bits and pieces over the years and supplemented by considerable details supplied by other actors involved in this unfortunate saga. The main conclusions of earlier analyses remain valid:

n Right up to the point when China launched a major offensive, both the political and the Indian Army top brass were convinced that military engagement at the contested border would never go beyond small-scale skirmishes and limited operations. There was no expectation and hence preparation for dealing with a large-scale assault, despite mounting evidence to the contrary
(as if Indian military has intelligence wherewithal !)

n The so-called Forward Policy was a political initiative and not a military operation, designed to strengthen Indian territorial claims and forestall further Chinese ingress. China had been putting in place its own version of a forward policy through the relentless advance into the unoccupied border zones separating the two countries. This had intensified after the Tibet revolt and the Dalai Lama's escape to India in 1959. That same year, the first serious incidents of Chinese aggression took place, one in Longju in the eastern sector and the other at Galwan in the western sector. Chinese territorial assertiveness continued thereafter, accompanied by a significant build-up of both logistics and forces. It was only in November 1961 that the Forward Policy was adopted in response but without corresponding means in men and material to respond to a serious military attack, the capabilities for which were being steadily built up on the Chinese side. The ill-considered probing missions and the setting up of additional and mostly isolated and indefensible posts were, therefore, more in the nature of "showing the flag" operations rather than military manoeuvres.

The revelations in the Henderson Brooks Report should be examined in the light of considerable archival material that is now available on Chinese perceptions and decision-making on India-China relations leading up to the breakout of hostilities on October 20, 1962.

The first important point to note is that the India-China border dispute took on an altogether different dimension in Chinese perceptions as a result of the Tibet revolt of 1959 and the subsequent grant of refuge by India to the Dalai Lama and a large number of Tibetans, who were escaping a violent Chinese crackdown. Indian statements and actions on the border were increasingly interpreted as aimed at undermining Chinese control over Tibet. Even contemporary Chinese studies of the 1962 conflict, such as those by Xu Yan and Wang Hongwei, make this point repeatedly, accusing Nehru of trying to "convert Tibet into a buffer zone" and to "instigate Tibet to leave China". In 1964, while speaking to a visiting Nepali delegation, Mao Zedong said the major problem between India and China was not the McMahon Line but Tibet, which Indians considered to be theirs.

A second conclusion to emerge from the archives is the key role played by Mao himself in the events leading up to the war. The failure of the Great Leap Forward and three years of economic distress and famine between 1959 and 1961 had forced Mao to retreat to the "second line of leadership", yielding place to pragmatists such as Liu Shaoqi, Deng Xiaoping and Peng Zhen. By the summer of 1962, however, Mao was already in the process of regaining his control over the levers of power, using the People's Liberation Army under a new commander, Marshal Lin Piao, as his ally. From the summer of 1962, it was Mao who was personally issuing directives on the evolving military situation on the India-China border. It was his decision in August 1962, to launch a full-scale military assault on Indian forces and to "liquidate the invading Indian army".

Interestingly, it now transpires that this decision was a contested one. A Chinese TV feature on the 1962 war, broadcast in January 2005, reveals that there were differences of opinion among the leadership with some arguing that it would be unwise to make an enemy out of India just when China was confronting both domestic and external challenges. However, according to the broadcast, these elements were denounced as "right opportunists" and the military offensive went ahead.

It is also clear now that China made a careful assessment of the regional and international situation before undertaking these military operations. There were fears in China that the US may help the Chiang Kai-shek regime in Taiwan launch attacks on China across the Taiwan Straits. These were laid to rest when China's ambassador to Warsaw, Wang Bingnan, was able to get a categorical assurance from his American counterpart that the US had no intention of supporting any Taiwanese offensive against China by taking advantage of Sino-Indian tensions. In his memoirs, Wang claims that this assurance played an important part in enabling the decision to attack India later in the year.

Similarly, fears that the Soviet Union would play a negative role on the Sino-India dispute were laid to rest as Moscow sought to obtain Chinese support in the looming Cuban missile crisis, which would burst into the open around the same time as the India-China war. This also distracted the major powers from taking full cognisance of what was happening on a remote border somewhere in Asia.

Just as the Chinese military offensive came as a rude surprise, so did the subsequent Chinese decision to withdraw from the territories it occupied as a result of the 1962 operations with some exceptions particularly in the Western sector. The Indian leadership fully believed that the withdrawal was probably due to approaching winter and extended supply lines and that a renewed offensive was likely during the summer the following year. This explains the sense of panic that prevailed in those days evident in Jawaharlal Nehru's desperate letter to US President John F Kennedy, which surfaced recently. Chinese archives, however, suggest that it was always Mao's plan that Chinese forces should withdraw after delivering a knockout blow on the Indians. The objective was not territorial. It was to forestall any threat to Chinese consolidation in Tibet, while bringing a chastened India to the negotiating table to acquiesce in a Chinese package proposal for settling the border. Neither objective was achieved in any real sense.

In 1980, the two countries resumed a bilateral dialogue on the border after a gap of two decades. In the initial phase the Chinese terms for settlement were the same as in 1960, i.e. that China would retain Aksai Chin in the West but would generally settle along the alignment corresponding to the McMahon Line, though it would never accept the legitimacy of that line. In his interview to the editor of Vikrant in 1982, Deng Xiaoping explicitly put forward the "package proposal" as the basis for a border settlement, arguing that in keeping the area currently in its occupation in the east, India was getting a very good deal. After all, he suggested, Nehru himself had described Aksai Chin as a desert where "not a blade of grass grows".

Last edited:

DBF1954

Thanks for pointing out and commenting on these two interesting articles.

The Henderson Brooks Report is only one half of the story, and Neville Maxwell is only quoting when it fits in with what he believes. In many cases the Indian Army did not know why and what hit them. Therefore for the other half the detailed Chinese Army records are the basic knowledge to judge what happened. Only after a battle is analyzed in detail are conclusions possible. The conclusions in the HB Report or by Maxwell are outdated.

One such report is published in China in 1964 as 中印边境自卫反击作战战例选编 (Selected Writings on the Self-Defense Fighting on the Chinese-Indian Border) and was published by 中国人民解放军总参谋部 (General Staff of the PLA) and classified as 秘密 (Top Secret).

A total of 36 examples of fighting are documented each with a map as well as with unit numbers, troop strength and how each attack was planed. Comparing such details with the HB report we can document where he was wrong. In my opinion he wasn't wrong because he had a political agenda but because the Indian Army didn't know better at that time.

Every single of the 36 examples shows the Chinese attacking and the Indian defending, retreating or capitulating. That documents very well who was the aggressor and who was attacked. Another example is the medical preparations for the conflict: The Chinese Army would prepare 2500 beds in military hospitals just opposite Arunachal Pradesh with 925 doctors and nurses as staff before the attack. They knew what would happen and prepared accordingly. Events in India or elsewhere could no more change the master plan. It helped that the Cuban missile crisis took place at the same time but once the decision to attack was made the war would start according to the original schedule.

In the end the fact that such a report is still a State Secret in India in the year 2014 leaves us thinking if the politicians have any better knowledge of China now than back in 1962?

Last edited:

mikhail

Country flag
Re: India BJP targets ruling party over China war report

Half a century after the war, Indians are still not prepared for the truth, that is why this report has to be buried.

Interesting to know that how frightened people could be with truth after being feed with lies and getting used to them.

What impact on Indian society could it have if the report was fully published?

Sent from my HUAWEI T8951 using Tapatalk 2
Just tell me one thing,why on earth did your "mighty" PLA suddenly declared an unilateral ceasefire and retreated all the way back to Tibet except for the Aksai Chin area which was basically a no man's land even before the start of the war considering the fact that it was your country that had the upper hand at that time and your army was closing in on Dispur(Admin. capital of Assam).The real reason is that when your Corp commanders got the news that the Indian Army had re grouped totally and was preparing to launch a full scale counter-attack along with the Indian Air Force,they became sh*t scared and started acting like headless chicken and gave hasty orders to your army to retreat all the way back to Tibet!!
Truth really hurts sometime isn't it:lol::wave:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles