Help & Advise needed for Air Rifle..

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
I have recently joined a Club but the facility have very poor Air Rifles mostly faulty ..

I intend to buy one for myself for fun & practice..

--------------------------------------------------------------

Following things i am not very sure about:

1. Do i need to make license ?

2. Can i import Air gun from outside ?

3. Are there any good Air Gun maker in India ? ( Regardless of its cost )

4. Are there optics available for .22 Air guns ?

Thanks in Advance..

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I have an Indian made Air Rifle.

No licence required.

My Air Rifle is not an expensive one.

The problem with most Indian air rifle that I saw before buying, is that there is no zeroing facility.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
I think because scopes for air guns need to withstand "reverse recoil" they are made differently from other types.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION CONCERNING MOUNTING SCOPES ON BREAK BARREL AIR RIFLES
Break-barrel rifles can be inherently inaccurate when used with a scope. This is because of the design; constantly breaking the barrel can cause droop and the barrel can get loose over time. You never replace the barrel in the exact same spot as it was before. It can be microscopic, but with minute of arc in mind it can make a difference at long ranges.

The way to see this is with using the open sights, because they are attached to the part of the barrel that moves you will have consistent accuracy with those sights. When you mount a scope, it is sighted in relevance to the position of the barrel. Should the position of that barrel stray or loosen over-time, it can cause all kinds of accuracy problems when using the scope. This problem is unavoidable with this style of air gun.

We recommend a fixed-barrel spring pneumatic rather than the break barrel style if you are serious about using a scope on an air gun. With a fixed-barrel, you cock the gun with a lever usually positioned on the side or underneath the barrel. You get the power of a spring pneumatic with the added assurance of accuracy knowing you never have to move the barrel. This will make it much easier to sight and keep a scope sighted in.
Air Rifle Scopes- An Overview - AirgunDepot.com
Choosing the right air rifle scope can be a daunting task. There are dozens to choose from and all of them have different features to offer you. To make things easier, lets examine the basics of airgun scopes. Essentially, a scope simply magnifies an image you are targeting and puts you on the same visual plane as the object. It does this by using a series of lenses inside the scope to bend the light that enters so that it magnifies the image. An air rifle scope is special because it can withstand the unique vibration and double recoil of an air rifle. NEVER PUT A FIREARM SCOPE ON AN AIR RIFLE. Now, the reason people enjoy having scopes on their air rifles is because it will help you achieve the pinpoint accuracy that air rifles are known for. So, let's take a look at the two different kinds of scopes starting with fixed air rifle scopes.
Air Rifle Scopes- An Overview - AirgunDepot.com

Decklander

You are aiming wrong. Always keep your sight up. You are keeping it on target and undershooting. A good fighter pilot always keeps it on top is very old saying. Next time keep your sight aiming at the top of the bulls eye and you will hit it bang in center.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
I have recently joined a Club but the facility have very poor Air Rifles mostly faulty ..

I intend to buy one for myself for fun & practice..

--------------------------------------------------------------

Following things i am not very sure about:

1. Do i need to make license ?

2. Can i import Air gun from outside ?

3. Are there any good Air Gun maker in India ? ( Regardless of its cost )

Thanks in Advance..

If you have membership of your local rifle association and have taken part in a few competitions, then you can import 0.22 calibre rifles. Look up indiansforguns.com

You would be best of buying 2nd hand imported air gun, ofb makes a few gas powered ones but they arent great.

Accessories depend on the make.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
^^
I'm reloading berr's tmj's, 230 gr w/ Win 231 5.0 gr's. Sig C3. They feed fine and shoot nice and soft. But when I hit the target, it is tearing oblong holes in the paper instead of nice round ones. Maybe the bullet is tumbling in the air? I plan to try them in a different gun to see if the same thing happens, but it's got me perplexed. What could be the cause? I measured the bullets and they are exactly .451, as advertised.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Make sure your targets have a good backing like cardboard and are against the backing, lack of a good backing or damp conditions can cause the target to tear.
Make sure whether it's paper tearing or tumbling before you start chasing your tail trying to troubleshoot tumbling issues if there is none.
Reloads = oblong holes in target - 1911Forum

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
The Rifle cost me +9000, The range is 10ms..

I got it from Aimco Enterprise at esplanade only, Very reliable and friendly people..

Is it from 10m? Nice grouping!

I used to score 76-80 in 10 shots from 10m with an OFB .117 break barrel.

How much did it cost?

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
68! nice... how long are you practicing?

Using palm rest or finger rest on foregrip?
The ones in the outer circle are from the pistol.

I took up the rifle after many years.

The hell is a palm rest ?

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Palm grip

pmaitra

@Kunal Biswas,

How does it feel switching over from INSAS to Air-Rifle?

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles