matek i wdów jęki;
Hej baczność! cel!
I w Å‚eb lub serce pal!

Hej trÄ…b, hej trÄ…b,
strzeleckÄ… trÄ…bkÄ… w dal.
A kłuj, a rąb,
i w Å‚eb lub serce pal.

Damian

@W.G.Ewald are you actually interested in Polish history? Maybe you even have some of your ancestors from Poland? Which would not be something uncommon AFAIK, a lot of us emigrated to US.

Last edited by a moderator:

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
@W.G.Ewald are you actually interested in Polish history? Maybe you even have some of your ancestors from Poland? Which would not be something uncommon AFAIK, a lot of us emigrated to US.
My first wife's grandmother, Lily, was Polish. She married a Slovak guy named Michael Hostak, I did not know her maiden name. So my older son is 1/8 Polish.

My supervisor at the last USAR job I had was of Polish heritage, and he told me a lot about Polish history. He was especially proud of Towarzysz husarski tradition.

Oh, and my grandfather was an uhlan in the Imperial German army, and we know the Poles were the first ulani in Napoleon's time. Well, maybe the Poles got the idea from the Turks?

Tolaha

That kinda makes @W.G.Ewald's ancestors to be from Germany, the same country that @Damian loves and adores! A happy coincidence! :heh:

Damian

My first wife's grandmother, Lily, was Polish.
Ah, so her name in Polish would be Liliana or Lidia most likely.

My supervisor at the last USAR job I had was of Polish heritage, and he told me a lot about Polish history. He was especially proud of Towarzysz husarski tradition.
Well, I can't imagine a Pole who would not be proud from our Winged Hussars. ;)

Oh, and my grandfather was an uhlan in the Imperial German army, and we know the Poles were the first ulani in Napoleon's time. Well, maybe the Poles got the idea from the Turks?
A yeah, this is interesting matter. AFAIK Winged Hussars concept born from combination of our own ideas and from Balkans, I believe some of the first Hussars were from there actually. So perhaps Uhlans as light cavalry might come from there, however I suspect that Cossacks might also have impact. Pity I actually don't have books about this matter right now, perhaps after session in AON academy, I will be able to find some time to dig through their big library.

W.G.Ewald

Professional

Damian

Good movie! I might reconsider to watch it again.

However, I must admitt that probably best movies were done during commie times in Poland... such a paradox.

Oh did you watched "Ogniem i Mieczem" (With Sword and Fire)?

W.G.Ewald

Professional

W.G.Ewald

Professional

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
My first wife's grandmother, Lily, was Polish. She married a Slovak guy named Michael Hostak, I did not know her maiden name. So my older son is 1/8 Polish.

Czesc :D

Perhaps I can also say I am related to Poland in some ways.

desicanuk

Czesc :D

Perhaps I can also say I am related to Poland in some ways.
As do lots of North Indians. I found out that I belong to Haplogroup R1a1.This probably is also the case with most North Indians. M17,the defining marker of haplogroup R1a1 arose about 10-15,000 years ago to a man born in Ukraine or Southern Russia.His descendents - to-days Indo-Europeans eventually spread out as far afield as Northen India and Iceland.To-day almost 40% of the men living from the Czech Republic to Siberia and South throught Central Asia ,Eastern Iran,and North India carry the M17 marker.Go figure!!

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
As do lots of North Indians. I found out that I belong to Haplogroup R1a1.This probably is also the case with most North Indians. M17,the defining marker of haplogroup R1a1 arose about 10-15,000 years ago to a man born in Ukraine or Southern Russia.His descendents - to-days Indo-Europeans eventually spread out as far afield as Northen India and Iceland.To-day almost 40% of the men living from the Czech Republic to Siberia and South throught Central Asia ,Eastern Iran,and North India carry the M17 marker.Go figure!!
im middle-eastern-central-asian
similar to iranian or afghan mixture,
im white but without euro-blood, thanks (thank gawd ) .! :rofl:
and i dont need no haplo R1a1 or M17 to prove myself
just see mah A1's for my phD project-papers and how i handle an M!6 !
just kiddin about that thanks ! ) :laugh:

Last edited:

Damian

Yeah, one of the heroes of American revolution, however Kazimierz Pułaski (Casimir Pulaski) I believe played a more significant role by creating continental army cavalry. I think that George Washington was impressed by his horse riding capabilities.

As for Hussars. One of more interesting things is that their uniforms and fighting technique in movies is a bit falsed, because of two reasons. It is actually cheaper to use a single style uniform for actors, in reality each Hussar have his own, unique uniform. The second thing is that in reality their formations were much, much larger, but movie budgets and space nececary to show their formations in real scale, are just not avaiable for movie makers.

Last edited:

W.G.Ewald

Professional
Yeah, one of the heroes of American revolution, however Kazimierz Pułaski (Casimir Pulaski) I believe played a more significant role by creating continental army cavalry. I think that George Washington was impressed by his horse riding capabilities.

As for Hussars. One of more interesting things is that their uniforms and fighting technique in movies is a bit falsed, because of two reasons. It is actually cheaper to use a single style uniform for actors, in reality each Hussar have his own, unique uniform. The second thing is that in reality their formations were much, much larger, but movie budgets and space nececary to show their formations in real scale, are just not avaiable for movie makers.
We named a bridge after Pulaski.

Pulaski Skyway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Probably the best movie for cavalry formations:

Damian

Good movie indeed, old movies have something in them, without all these CGI effects.

However as observation, British cavalry in this movie fight in rather loose formation. Our Hussars fighter in a very thight formation, good comparrision would be battering ram. In fact their horses needed a very special training, and Hussars also trained in a very specific way to master their charges.

Historicians says that Hussars allways fullfiled their tasks, not matters if battle was won or lost.

W.G.Ewald

Professional
Good movie indeed, old movies have something in them, without all these CGI effects.

However as observation, British cavalry in this movie fight in rather loose formation. Our Hussars fighter in a very thight formation, good comparrision would be battering ram. In fact their horses needed a very special training, and Hussars also trained in a very specific way to master their charges.

Historicians says that Hussars allways fullfiled their tasks, not matters if battle was won or lost.
Hussar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hussars were notoriously impetuous, and Napoleon was quoted as stating that he would be surprised for a hussar to live beyond the age of 30 due to their tendency to become reckless in battle, exposing their weaknesses in frontal assaults.

Damian

We had a proverb in Poland "Uhlan fantasy", but I believe more proper should be "Hussar fantasy". These were real men, that were never in fear.

However Napoleon was actually wrong, casualties among Hussars were very small during battles.

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
LOL I was not talking about "R1a1" etc stuff.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles