Have we forgotten Singur ?

ppgj

Agriculture can be considered an industry but a sick industry I should say atleast in India. If we can utilise the fertile land we have we would never to think about food security. We are top producers of many products but check the productivity ( Protuction per acre) it is nowhere near the developed countries. In some cases even Bangladesh and Thailand can put us in shame.
agreed. but GOI has taken the ariculture sector seriously. if you see the last budget presented by the ever likable bengali- pranabda, you would know attention though late is being given. only your state govt has to join the proces wholeheartedly.
Now consider the 'job security'. Can you expand agricultural lands to provide job for coming generations?
sabir, you are mistaking. i am not saying only agri based. it can change from region to region according to the local logistics.

corpus

agreed. but GOI has taken the ariculture sector seriously. if you see the last budget presented by the ever likable bengali- pranabda, you would know attention though late is being given. only your state govt has to join the proces wholeheartedly.

sabir, you are mistaking. i am not saying only agri based. it can change from region to region according to the local logistics.
WB is an extremely fertile state where more than 90% of the land is arable. there are very few areas where land for industry can be given up without taking up arable land

Sabir

DFI TEAM

That is exactly I am also saying. If we can improve our productivity level there would not be any problem (Experts say India can feed the whole world) and with agro-based industry, logistic, relailing, trading etc it will absorbe good number of people. I am just trying to point out our need is more than that (as per population density in West Bengal)

Now coming to the topic if you consider total land that gave way to brick fields ( Land owners prefer to lease them as the amount the recieve is much more than agricultural income) in last two decades, several Factories like Tata would have been accomodated. Our activist are just not aware of that. Or protesting against brick fields does not give much milage.

ppgj

WB is an extremely fertile state where more than 90% of the land is arable. there are very few areas where land for industry can be given up without taking up arable land
good point. but cars are not the only solution. there is a whole lot of industries which do not need 1000s of acres. IT for one. problem with bengal is not what to chose from, it is the everyday strikes at the drop of a hat that push away the investors. same with kerala. what is common in both- RED

Sabir

DFI TEAM
good point. but cars are not the only solution. there is a whole lot of industries which do not need 1000s of acres. IT for one. problem with bengal is not what to chose from, it is the everyday strikes at the drop of a hat that push away the investors. same with kerala. what is common in both- RED
Last year there was around 10 on Singur issue. They were not called by the Reds certainly. But you can say they have learnt it from the Red.

ppgj

That is exactly I am also saying. If we can improve our productivity level there would not be any problem (Experts say India can feed the whole world) and with agro-based industry, logistic, relailing, trading etc it will absorbe good number of people. I am just trying to point out our need is more than that (as per population density in West Bengal)
agree with you completely.

Now coming to the topic if you consider total land that gave way to brick fields ( Land owners prefer to lease them as the amount the recieve is much more than agricultural income) in last two decades, several Factories like Tata would have been accomodated. Our activist are just not aware of that. Or protesting against brick fields does not give much milage.
honestly i don't know the nitty- gritty of the local politics. food for thought.

ppgj

Last year there was around 10 on Singur issue. They were not called by the Reds certainly. But you can say they have learnt it from the Red.
sabir i made that point in a broader sense of the state of west bengal.

Sabir

DFI TEAM
sabir i made that point in a broader sense of the state of west bengal.
That is embedded in the population here I think. Just see how Jyoti Basu continued for two and half decades (killing all prospects for WB), the first man after him tried to do something became a monstar.

ppgj

also it is the ideological dogma that the communists have which goes against the profit looking capitalist private firms.

Rage

DFI TEAM
also it is the ideological dogma that the communists have which goes against the profit looking capitalist private firms.

But if anything, the ideologically communist government of West Bengal is seeking to foster and promote industry rather than scuttle it. It is the 'Grassroots' Congress, or the Trinamool Congress of Mamata Bannerjee, that is ideologically opposed to Special Economic Zones and industrialization at the cost of farmers and land labourers.

I though, like this new policy of 'co-opting' Bannerjee. By making her railway minister, it will give her something else to focus on, rather than mobilize the masses to get in the West Bengal government's way of industrialization. And her previous exploits in the same portfolio under the aegis of the National Democratic Alliance also qualify her for the task. In all, she introduced 19 new trains in the 2000–2001 fiscal year, and to her longlasting credit, the (IRCTC) - the Indian Railways Catering and Tourism Corporation is her brainchild. She was also a thick proponent for the Trans-Asian Railway and India's role in it, and for rail links between Bangladesh and Nepal. In all, I'd say she did pretty well in her capacity.

She's also announced new trains between Siliguri and Digha and the coastal belt in WB in an attempt to boost tourism in the state, and has proposed a rail-coach factory at Singur on the same land that was early acquired by TATA for the 'Nano's, in a seeming attempt to vindicate herself.

ppgj

But if anything, the ideologically communist government of West Bengal is seeking to foster and promote industry rather than scuttle it.
it is only buddhadeb, the chief minister who wants adopt that thinking following in a way the chinese model. rest including their politburo at the centre does not support him.

sky

Mamata offers to compensate Tatas for land at Singur--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kolkata, Sep 9 (PTI) Railway Minister Mamata Banerjee tonight said she was prepared to compensate the Tatas for the 1000 acre that had been leased out to them for the now-defunt Nano factory at Singur.

"I will pay for the 1000 acre of land," Banerjee said on Tata Motors' chairman Ratan Tata's recent statement that the Tatas were prepared to return the land at Singur if it was adequately compensated for the investment made.

Banerjee said she had already held talks with Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee and a railway coach factory would come up on 600 acre and the remaining 400 acre would be returned to farmers who had been unwilling to part with it.

She said the Railways would lease out land to private entrepreneurs to set up industries in a joint venture model.

Is it me or is is an abuse of her position as a goi minister,using her job as minister for railways to sort out the mess she made.I'm sure lot's of other towns in india would love to have a railway coach factory in there state,creating job's. Come to think of it didn't wb get a lot of investment made by indian railway's this year.And you don't need the right to information act on this either?

Rage

DFI TEAM
it is only buddhadeb, the chief minister who wants adopt that thinking following in a way the chinese model. rest including their politburo at the centre does not support him.

But he wields enough clout to crack the party whip and make his minions toe the line.

Sabir

DFI TEAM
Is it me or is is an abuse of her position as a goi minister,using her job as minister for railways to sort out the mess she made.I'm sure lot's of other towns in india would love to have a railway coach factory in there state,creating job's. Come to think of it didn't wb get a lot of investment made by indian railway's this year.And you don't need the right to information act on this either?
It is nothing but her Political stunt. If she is agreed with 600 acres then what wrong with rest 400. Either this side or that side. She tries to get as much possible political gain from the dispute (what she did well , atleast temporarily). I am sure tomorrow she may fire any officer if he points out the rail wagon project is not feasible in Singur again next day you can she her resigning after fighting with her ally in trivial issue.

ppgj

But he wields enough clout to crack the party whip and make his minions toe the line.
i doubt it though. it will take ages for the rest to think ahead. even the CM is tied behind his back but since he was chosen by jyoti basu himself, he is surviving. if only jyoti basu can take the initiative we can hope something positive.

Sabir

DFI TEAM
i doubt it though. it will take ages for the rest to think ahead. even the CM is tied behind his back but since he was chosen by jyoti basu himself, he is surviving. if only jyoti basu can take the initiative we can hope something positive.
Jyoti Basu will take initiative? :stinker:What he was doing for two and half decades?

Rage

DFI TEAM
Jyoti Basu will take initiative? :stinker:What he was doing for two and half decades?

He is not ideologically disinclined towards it though. The unique political exigencies and dynamics of West Bengal government have led him to cause so much hobnobbing with private industrialists. See this for example:

West Bengal's Jyoti Basu: a ... - Google Books

NSG_Blackcats

Member of The Month OCTOBER 2009
Indian public has a very short memory. Here people forget everything very fast and move on. The present CM of WB trying his best to create a conducive atmosphere for investment. But CPM is not Congress. CPM is a cadre based party and not a one man/women show. Budhadev cannot force CPM to toe his line.

But issue like Singur is not last one in India. It is just the beginning. Government and private companies are going to face many challenges for land acquisition in India. Reliance is facing problem for its proposed SEZ in Maharashtra, POSCO, TATA is facing it in Orissa. We need to revisit at our policy of land acquisition otherwise these kind of situation will continue.

ppgj

Indian public has a very short memory. Here people forget everything very fast and move on. The present CM of WB trying his best to create a conducive atmosphere for investment. But CPM is not Congress. CPM is a cadre based party and not a one man/women show. Budhadev cannot force CPM to toe his line.

But issue like Singur is not last one in India. It is just the beginning. Government and private companies are going to face many challenges for land acquisition in India. Reliance is facing problem for its proposed SEZ in Maharashtra, POSCO, TATA is facing it in Orissa. We need to revisit at our policy of land acquisition otherwise these kind of situation will continue.
spot on nsg. this is what i intended as you can see in my first post in the thread. i don't know whether you agree to the content though.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles