Hate crime: Two Sikhs attacked in US, one dead

Oracle

R.I.P.

Well they were attacked because of there carelessness. Walking alone on streets in the evening with kurta pajama and pagri with open dari is nothing but asking for trouble in a country like USA
Carelessness is the reason, yes.

In suburbs, there exist small gangs who are into shoplifting, bar brawls, and petty crimes. For a new recruit to prove allegiance, he/she has to prove it by doing something the rest of the gang members want. It is also one of the reasons why Sikhs or South Asians get targeted in the West, for they are perceived as easy targets who would not resist. Racism sometimes is not the issue at all.

i think so too - some of the taliban where turbans similar to the sikhs and many americans especialy in out of towen areas like where this happened are less informed .....it's even worse if there is litle or no dialogue between communities which is lileky in these areas and so people donet know what these turbaned folks are up to . ....it's a sorry state of affairs

partial solution ;- the sikh community in the usa should take out newspaper adverts to keep the general public informed who they are and that they are not to be confuesd with taliban - etc etc .
I think Sardars and Talibans wear turbans differently. Maybe Sikh_Warrior Sir can help. OTOH, an average Joe who cannot distinguish between a sikh and a Taliban would rubbish newspaper ads, if they read newspapers in the first place.

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Islamic turbans

Afghan way

Amama (Turban) Kaisay Banda Jayey

Last edited by a moderator:

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
I think Sardars and Talibans wear turbans differently. Maybe Sikh_Warrior Sir can help. OTOH, an average Joe who cannot distinguish between a sikh and a Taliban would rubbish newspaper ads, if they read newspapers in the first place.
I think a similar incident happened few days after 9/11 as well. Even then it was a sikh and his turban. Regardless of whether someone is mistook for a Talib or not; why would you attack someone merely on basis of his costume and looks?
We don't do that to foreigners roaming around here in their own outfits. OTOH, we don't wear our own traditional outfits anymore, those who do are counted in extremist categories right away. Sad.

Regards,
Virendra

AOE

I'd note that posters here should keep in mind that the article did state that no conclusive evidence has shown that this is a hate crime, but leans towards the idea. Execute/throw the murderers in prison who shot these elderly Sikhs, but don't assume that just because the article hints at racism that it automatically is the case. After all, journalists have been known to bend the truth or create shock value just to sell an article. I see this nearly all the time I hear about some white American kills someone from <insert other ethnic or cultural group> and people automatically assume it was racist, yet sometimes it isn't. We don't even know who the killer is yet and what the motives were.

Oracle

I think a similar incident happened few days after 9/11 as well. Even then it was a sikh and his turban. Regardless of whether someone is mistook for a Talib or not; why would you attack someone merely on basis of his costume and looks?
We don't do that to foreigners roaming around here in their own outfits. OTOH, we don't wear our own traditional outfits anymore, those who do are counted in extremist categories right away. Sad.

Regards,
Virendra
When did I attack a Sikh? Are you okay?

You need to read this again:

In suburbs, there exist small gangs who are into shoplifting, bar brawls, and petty crimes. For a new recruit to prove allegiance, he/she has to prove it by doing something the rest of the gang members want. It is also one of the reasons why Sikhs or South Asians get targeted in the West, for they are perceived as easy targets who would not resist. Racism sometimes is not the issue at all.

And please. Foreigners are not only attacked, but even raped in India. And as I have said, racism is not the issue at all sometimes.

This piece came out in ToI today. It happened on Friday. Two foreigners molested on Candolim beach

Last edited:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles