Hate Bollywood for not making these war movies

Superdefender

It is the fault of audience at one side and story writer, director, producer etc. on the other hand. Our people (most of them) pamper movie like Chennai express, Dabbang, Rowdy Rathod, etc. Good vfx movies are made (like Ra.one) but with no story. Not a single movie is made correctly in which all parameters are correct (good story, good visual, good vfx, good acting, good direction). Can our movie makers make a masterclass like "The Shawshank Redemption" and "Pulp Fiction" which requires no vfx? I have serious doubts.

HeinzGud

Country flag
It is the fault of audience at one side and story writer, director, producer etc. on the other hand. Our people (most of them) pamper movie like Chennai express, Dabbang, Rowdy Rathod, etc. Good vfx movies are made (like Ra.one) but with no story. Not a single movie is made correctly in which all parameters are correct (good story, good visual, good vfx, good acting, good direction). Can our movie makers make a masterclass like "The Shawshank Redemption" and "Pulp Fiction" which requires no vfx? I have serious doubts.
Shawshank redemption also bombed the box office. Good movies rarely make out with the audiences. Though there are some exceptions.

kr9

Country flag
They did:---:biggrin2:

'Swades'
'Kahaani'
'A Wednesday' :- a first in that it features no 'song and dance' in the entire duration of the film.
'Peepli Live'

But they are few and also not entirely devoid of the 'Bollywood gene'. But that is to be expected (but maybe not recommended).
Also, we need more movies about the DRDO, ISRO etc who certainly have some achievements under their belt.. That would help if our engineers are to take some pride in Indian science and stop looking west for innovation.

PS: For a start, I'll take a war movie where our soldiers don't charge in a tight group of 50 towards the enemy position and actually use some real life tactics.
:doh:
A little attention to detail and research (use actual weapons and maybe stop giving the paratrooper badge to every tom, dick and harry in the film) .

Superdefender

They did:---:biggrin2:

'Swades'
'Kahaani'
'A Wednesday' :- a first in that it features no 'song and dance' in the entire duration of the film.
'Peepli Live'

But they are few and also not entirely devoid of the 'Bollywood gene'. But that is to be expected (but maybe not recommended).
Also, we need more movies about the DRDO, ISRO etc who certainly have some achievements under their belt.. That would help if our engineers are to take some pride in Indian science and stop looking west for innovation.

PS: For a start, I'll take a war movie where our soldiers don't charge in a tight group of 50 towards the enemy position and actually use some real life tactics.
:doh:
A little attention to detail and research (use actual weapons and maybe stop giving the paratrooper badge to every tom, dick and harry in the film) .
If you want tactics, then you need serious innovative mind. I like tactics used in Naruto Shippuden. Even HW can't do that.

Rajaraja Chola

Country flag
Nah.. I don't vote for Madras cafe to be a historically accurate movie. Though it is mostly correct on contemporary scenes but sometimes I have felt that it focused on the events of 2009 rather than what actually happened in 1986-1989 period.
Nope. It started from 1987 and ended in 2009 massacre. No movie is historically accurate. Nobody knows what happened except RAW, CIA, MI6 and Sri Lankan intelligence.
It did give a balanced view of Sinhala dominalism and LTTE's ruthless standalone attitude.

Rajaraja Chola

Country flag
What do you mean by "not matured enough"?

IMHO it is the directors and storywriters and producers that are not daring enough.
It is the movie industry aka B'wood that hasn't matured enough, I think.
Its not going to. Most of the hollywood war movies focuses immensely on the political reasons behind it.
Now lets take an movie on the Kargil War. How can u complete that movie without considering the intelligence failures, political backstabbing, or delayed decisions and then the heriocs of our soldiers? City audience will understand it. But the rural ones? Not at all.

I have seen a lots of war movies getting flopped. The ones having less masalas usually flops. Like the Madras Cafe.

HeinzGud

Country flag
Nope. It started from 1987 and ended in 2009 massacre. No movie is historically accurate. Nobody knows what happened except RAW, CIA, MI6 and Sri Lankan intelligence.
It did give a balanced view of Sinhala dominalism and LTTE's ruthless standalone attitude.
Yeah massacre done by the LTTE. But finally LTTE menace is over and Tamil people are free.

Sinhala is always dominant in the island. That's not going to change.

Rajaraja Chola

Country flag
Yeah massacre done by the LTTE. But finally LTTE menace is over and Tamil people are free.

Sinhala is always dominant in the island. That's not going to change.
Lol. What about the 2009 massacre of 40000 people? (By conservative UN estimates, the minimum value)?
Killing of kids, raping of women's? Pls dont claim to have holier than thou attitude here. The whole world saw what SL did. And it was the central govt which protected SL from external and internal pressure.

HeinzGud

Country flag
Lol. What about the 2009 massacre of 40000 people? (By conservative UN estimates, the minimum value)?
Killing of kids, raping of women's? Pls dont claim to have holier than thou attitude here. The whole world saw what SL did. And it was the central govt which protected SL from external and internal pressure.
UN has not disclosed how they came to that conclusion of the figure 40,000. Ad hoc calculation should not to be put forward by a reputed institution like UN. In-fact SL gov. estimate is around 8000.

LTTE did that. Not SL army. SL army fought with LTTE to save those people in LTTE clutches.

I ask you if there were 40000 killed, where are the mass graves of the so called massacred victims?

Navnit Kundu

Pika Hu Akbarrr!!
In Mumbai Film industry lion's share goes to the main lead actors and actresses. Nothing is spared for technicians, script-writers etc. One cannot purchase a horse at the price of a donkey.
If you look at some of the (read: most of the) commercial Bolly movies, I'm pretty sure the producer would've got a better story had they paid 10k Rupees to a struggling arts graduate/dropout than letting people like Farah Khan come up with Tees Maar Khan. There's really no excuse for bad content, it's just bad craftsmanship. There are a lot of indie movies that are made in a small budget and they are really good. All the people who do watch them, end up showering praises. The reason they don't make much money is not a result of bad taste, rather a function of a small marketing budget.

I have to disagree with @Superdefender. The reason commercial films become huge is not because viewers have bad taste, but because commercial movie makers undertake promotion on a commercial basis. It's the same tactic used by any marketer who knows he is selling a dud product. Too many people watching a bad movie is not an indicator of their taste because every single one of the viewer is watching it for the first time and they don't know it's a bad movie before they watch it. The only source they have to base their judgement on is the marketing promos which are ironically very well made. Combine that with a strategically placed release slot (Diwali, Eid, national holiday, college fests) and you can sell a lot of tickets to wandering minds looking for some timepass. The good quality, low budget indie movies cannot match the bidding amounts for these prime slots which Bollywood giants can so their viewership ends up taking a hit. It's crony capitalism, nothing else. Neither the indie movie makers not viewers are to blame. The moviemakers who have made it big have been successful in monopolizing the market and kill all competition.

To the viewer's credit, out of all those commercially successful Bollywood movies, none of them got critical acclaim from the viewers. All of the viewers fell for the marketing hype, went to see it and came out disappointed. This disappointment isn't apparent if you simply evaluate the amount of money the movie has earned. Commercial success is not a valid indicator of critical acclaim. It just means that the producer was successful in fleecing money out of a large number of people.

Bollywood trailers are like one of those cheesy click-bait titles floating around the internet "Man tries to cuddle a kitten, what happens next will just melt your heart..."

Last edited:

Rajaraja Chola

Country flag
UN has not disclosed how they came to that conclusion of the figure 40,000. Ad hoc calculation should not to be put forward by a reputed institution like UN. In-fact SL gov. estimate is around 8000.

LTTE did that. Not SL army. SL army fought with LTTE to save those people in LTTE clutches.

I ask you if there were 40000 killed, where are the mass graves of the so called massacred victims?
I think people in war zone killed themselves. That is better.
Even own SL govt LLRC report is not out.
Vidoes of kids killed, women's raped are out. For UN investigation to be done, u should let them inside.

Again high estimate goes till 80-100k. But I am going by lowest estimation of genocide done by Sinhalas.
Go. Even Fonseka admitted lots of killings took place during last phases of war.
International community has all the proof. Go fight them. Even now its India that is protecting SL at international forums. Being close to SL, and emotionally bonded to SL, US expects India to take the lead in prosecuting SL. But India does not.
Lucky

SKC

Country flag
Lakshya is not underrated. Over the year it has reached Cult status and grt following among the youth.

Navnit Kundu

Pika Hu Akbarrr!!
Lakshya is not underrated. Over the year it has reached Cult status and grt following among the youth.
This is both good and bad. Good because youngsters are appreciating it, bad because there was no war-movie made after that so youngsters are stuck with that same movie for more than a decade now. Every time there is a documentary or news report about the military, news channels are forced to use tunes form Lakshya for lack of any other alternatives. Now they have started using Hans Zimmer tracks.

HeinzGud

Country flag
I think people in war zone killed themselves. That is better.
Even own SL govt LLRC report is not out.
Vidoes of kids killed, women's raped are out. For UN investigation to be done, u should let them inside.

Again high estimate goes till 80-100k. But I am going by lowest estimation of genocide done by Sinhalas.
Go. Even Fonseka admitted lots of killings took place during last phases of war.
International community has all the proof. Go fight them. Even now its India that is protecting SL at international forums. Being close to SL, and emotionally bonded to SL, US expects India to take the lead in prosecuting SL. But India does not.
Lucky
LLRC report was out several years ago. You should be aware of these facts. Any tom, dick and harry can produce propaganda movies. They should not be taken as evidence in international forums and institutions.

As I said before people comes up with figures they seems fit. But that's not the actual figure of the deceased. Fonseka is political rival of Rajapaksha now. He's spilling lies to garner votes and sympathy. So he's words should not be taken literally.

India doesn't take a hard-line attitude towards Sri Lankan issue because India has face a similar type of situation in Kashmir. If India support prosecution in Sri Lanka, they have to allow something similar in Kashmir. Indian policy makers are shrewd than most here.

AnantS

Country flag
Empower Nationalist filmmakers, remove communist keedey, paki apologist, d money from bollywood. You will have multiple Haqeeqat like movies. More local mohd rafi, sehgal, kishore kumar etc like talent will get a chance to entre into bollywood. As added bonus, there will be less auto tuned Paki singers in Bollywood.

I always liked KK over Atif. But the former simply vanished. Such a waste of talent.

AnantS

Country flag
This is both good and bad. Good because youngsters are appreciating it, bad because there was no war-movie made after that so youngsters are stuck with that same movie for more than a decade now. Every time there is a documentary or news report about the military, news channels are forced to use tunes form Lakshya for lack of any other alternatives. Now they have started using Hans Zimmer tracks.
Lakshya Succeeded because LOC failed. Lakshya simply filled vacuum created due to LOC failure. It was trying to become a melodrama and documentary simultaneously. LOC would have been hit if it had been slick and made into parts to cover all heroes. Somehow I felt, in order to glamorize few(actors), they failed to show team effort of soldiers.

OR Please bring in Param Veer Chakra kind of tele serial, using latest vfx techniques. People will surely love it.

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
Lakshya Succeeded because LOC failed. Lakshya simply filled vacuum created due to LOC failure. It was trying to become a melodrama and documentary simultaneously. LOC would have been hit if it had been slick and made into parts to cover all heroes. Somehow I felt, in order to glamorize few(actors), they failed to show team effort of soldiers.

OR Please bring in Param Veer Chakra kind of tele serial, using latest vfx techniques. People will surely love it.
There was this series on DD at some point of time. I am not sure they covered all PVCs.

Navnit Kundu

Pika Hu Akbarrr!!
Or at least record footage of military exercises like IronFist in full HD instead of 360p.

Even if they provide raw footage of the various training exercises that our army does then hobbyists can make videos like this and put it on Youtube :

It seems like the Information and Broadcasting ministry has set the bar very low for itself. What's the use of putting an army man like Rathore at the helm of I&B if he's not getting anything done. Neither are there any new war movies coming out, nor has the anti-India media been forced to tone their rhetoric down.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles