Has foruming helped you in your personal and professional lives?

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
I was just wondering if anyone else feels that being on this forum and may be others has helped in professional and personal lives?
One thing that has changed in me is appreciating variety of opinion and respecting everyone for his opinion. Having an open mind and being ready to take in variety of ideas.
Also it has increased my patience i would say thanks to the mod job. It has made me a better "listener" and absorb what the other person is trying to convey and use it to further refine my own thinking.

What esp helped me esp from my WAB days is to think really hard before you say something as any fanboy stuff would lead to a grand rebuke from the ever present MPs and it made you think about all contrary views. This has helped me in my business for sure.

Wonder if anyone else has similar thoughts?

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
Yep. It has served as an extension of my social circle. Forums are a more productive way to interact with people over the internet than social-networking sites. I participate in (and moderate) a variety of forums including defence, technology, science/medicine, nonsense, and even railways.

JBH22

This forum gives me a convenient to talk to people who share the same passion about weapons,geopolitics no forums means no way to share my views or learn from others since none of my friends share the same interest its always about alcohol and chicks when we meet.

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
DFI is the place that I visit as frequent as my mailbox or facebook .. may be even more frequently.
It helps peel off the propoganda or bias and get to the real news, whats happening where and who says what about it.
It also helps to balance one's perception and opinion towards geopolitics when differing views are so vigorously tested and debated out here.
Lastly, the shoutbox - when nothing else to do you can always put your lazy bum there and start blaberring about any damn thing :p

Regards,
Virendra

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
Dunno about this particular forum, but 'foruming' in general has definitely changed my political views i.e From a liberal airhead, to a right winger !

Not sure if it's a good or bad thing :confused:

Oracle

From being I am right, to being I might be wrong.
From being obnoxious, to being 'Let's read the post first'
From being saying, to being 'listening'

This forum, DFI has helped me in a lot of ways. It has helped me cure depression and realize it's what I believe I can do. I would have given full credit to DFI alone, but to members in here, who inspite of being guardians of DFI, helped me understand things. If I speak from my heart, these guys my own age and younger than me have taught me much more than I could ever learn. Guys like AV, LF, Yusuf, Ray Sir, RT, DD, TR, Singh, manc, Saya, Shash and so many more. I owe you guys.

Special thanks to Yusuf as he heard me most of the times. And instead of the ban, and so many warnings here I am. Trying to change, each day.

P.S. Daaru peena thoda kam ho gaya :D

Last edited:

SHASH2K2

I was a lurker in many months in defence forums as I was very much interested in knowing where my country stand in terms of preparedness. DFI is the first forum where I started posting my opinion . Initially I was very shy and use to think a lot before saying anything else . That was actual me. I was shy and reserve person . But not anymore . I am a lot more confident while talking to people and its due to sharing vast amount of knowledge with people here . I learn something almost everyday . This knowledge about world has given me self confident and I am a much better person than I was . SO foruming helped me a lot .

SURB

Well not really,but the people to people contact has increased a bit in the virtual world too......and that's what i love.No more serious changes in the personality or my behavior.I'm sticking to were i was earlier.One reason probably is that i'm not that old at foruming,just couple of years or so...... and i'm not that regular either.:)

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
Good thread.

Yes, foruming has helped me. I can express myself and communicate my thoughts much better than before. I can frame arguments and participate in discussions, present my point of view much better than before, thanks to foruming.

pmaitra

From being I am right, to being I might be wrong.
From being obnoxious, to being 'Let's read the post first'
From being saying, to being 'listening'
I second that. I think this is the best part of being in a forum.

Also, thanks to the insistence of seniors, especially Ray Sir, I have learnt to back up my comments with links and references. That also adds more weight to what I am saying.

Sabir

DFI TEAM
Believe me...joinning DFI caused me to quit my job. My old pals here know the reason........... :D

amitkriit

Actually too much of anything is dangerous. Virtual world must not become number one priority in any case. And no participation in forums did not have any visible positive effects over my professional life, but it increases my outlook, my knowledge, so I believe personally I have certainly benefited.

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
No, not really.

I like DFI because it is a tolerant forum that is mostly free of trolls and with lots of unique opinions and interesting discussions. That's why I post here more than any other forum.

However, the Internet in general is a breeding place for racists, bigots, and people of various prejudices who are too insecure to reveal who they are in real life, and must resort to the Internet as a result. For this reason, I try to limit my online interaction, and focus on "real" interactions.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Well i love to share my Ideas, Their are not many who understand my Ideas in professional life.. :D

Most Importantly i join DFI coz we have many of us around here unlike on International forums..

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
After joining DFI i felt happy to see people accepting the real facts and sharing each others point of view and accepting the point if and only it is good and correct and also the friendly nature of the DFI members. This does work out in our day-to-day life. No one bothers to speak the truth and get off easily with a lie. But here truth depends on facts and proves which are acceptable by everyone. My mind is peacefull and i enjoy when i enter DFI. I feel HAPPY.
" HI FIVE" for all the DFI members and especially the "¢ Administrators "¢ Global Moderators "¢ Global Moderators, they are doing a good job

Rage

DFI TEAM
Shit! I just realized I had to send you information about Stahlpreisen! LoL.

I'm so sorry, Yusuf. I've just been awesomely busy these last few weeks and when I come onto the forum, work is the last thing that's on my mind.

Give me until tonight and I'll send it to you.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Ok rage. I was going to ask you today about it as they have I creased prices further now citing raw material shortage due to tsunami in japan.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles