Harpoons: India to pay US almost three times more than Pak

sandeepdg

being beholden to the US, in fact being America's bitch and at the mercy of its aid - is quite a bit to give up in my books vs a slight price increase.
They don't have a choice as such, they are dependent on US aid to keep their country running, and hold it together somehow.

Rage

DFI TEAM
And the reason: this whack job Antony. He is a loose canard strutting down a dangerous path. Somebody needs to make him go, and I mean, really, make him 'go'.

Rahul92

Chill guys pak will get all the scrap missiles & we get brand new missiles so obviously it costs more

JBH22

As per wiki comparable missile with Harpoon are the Sea Eagle and KH-35.
Both of these missiles however were reported as dud two years ago by the CAG however the warhead of Harpoon carries more than all the comparable missiles in its class.
I would rather see more KH-41 in service its a more deadlier missile and the best part is that its already in service why complicate logistics with the Harpoon.

3M80 Moskit - Kh-41 - SS-N-22 Sunburn

Last edited by a moderator:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Brahmos is better when we talking abt KH-41..
Btw, India do have limited no of KH-41, they were bought during the construction of Delhi class destroyers, Delhi class originally intend to use sunburn but later it proved to expensive to maintain compare to KH-35s, therefore KH-35 installed on Delhi class...

Also, Kolkata class will be using Brahmos, Its sad that those P8I can carry Brahmos but US will never allow us to install on them...

Country flag
we are using Klubs in our Kilo subs and Talwar frigates, we have Brahmos , Nirbhay and Brahmos 2 in development. Harpoons should be kept mainly for use on P8-I's, why do we need so many different platforms?? Not to mention the exocets the French are pushing for the scorpenes.

JBH22

Brahmos is better when we talking abt KH-41..
Btw, India do have limited no of KH-41, they were bought during the construction of Delhi class destroyers, Delhi class originally intend to use sunburn but later it proved to expensive to maintain compare to KH-35s, therefore KH-35 installed on Delhi class...

Also, Kolkata class will be using Brahmos, Its sad that those P8I can carry Brahmos but US will never allow us to install on them...
Brahmos is a cruise missile while the Kh-41 or Kh-35 are tactical missile so we can't substitute them AFAIK,what's the purpose of buying expensive weapons from Uncle SAM if he decides when and how to use them better find EUropean partners. Besides the P-8 is a patrol,ASW aircraft can this role be equally done by Su-34?

we are using Klubs in our Kilo subs and Talwar frigates, we have Brahmos , Nirbhay and Brahmos 2 in development. Harpoons should be kept mainly for use on P8-I's, why do we need so many different platforms?? Not to mention the exocets the French are pushing for the scorpenes.
This will add to the logistic guys nightmare but the Navy top brass i "believe" have thought about it

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Brahmos is a cruise missile while the Kh-41 or Kh-35 are tactical missile so we can't substitute them AFAIK,what's the purpose of buying expensive weapons from Uncle SAM if he decides when and how to use them better find EUropean partners. Besides the P-8 is a patrol,ASW aircraft can this role be equally done by Su-34?
Brahmos on Rajput class destroyers are anti-ship variant, KH-35 / KH-41 fall under same catagory..
The difference is KH-35 is subsonic and rage is 250kms where KH-41 is supersonic but range is 200km, Where as Brahmos have a range of +300kms and its supersonic..

SU-34 is just 4000km and its a tactical bomber, it lack various equipments which can be only mounted on big aircraft such Boeing and Airbus or ATR,...

I have high hopes for NAL transporter...

Last edited:

JBH22

Brahmos on Rajput class destroyers are anti-ship variant, KH-35 / KH-41 fall under same catagory..
The difference is KH-35 is subsonic and rage is 250kms where KH-41 is supersonic but range is 200km, Where as Brahmos have a range of +300kms and its supersonic..

SU-34 is just 4000km and its a tactical bomber, it lack various equipments which can be only mounted on big aircraft such Boeing and Airbus or ATR,...

I have high hopes for NAL transporter...

Brahmos is a joint venture between Russia and India given that Russia is a signatory to the MTCR therefore Brahmos has been specifically designed not to exceed 300kms it has a reported range of only 290km. If I'm not mistaken a supersonic Kh-41 is far deadlier than a subsonic kh-35 since it gives minimal reaction to activate countermeasures such as CIWS onboard ships and its particular suited for feat such as Operation Python or Trident that IN performed in 1971.

JBH22

I guess u r right..
So Brahmos or KH-41?
Brahmos Kh-41
300kg of high explosive vs 320kg high explosive
290km vs 100-120km
USD 2.73million vs Unknown

Combination of both in High (Bhramos) Low(Kh-41) mix.
Btw any idea why the navy still use subsonic missile does it possess any sort of advantage over supersonic ones?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Brahmos Kh-41
300kg of high explosive vs 320kg high explosive
290km vs 100-120km
USD 2.73million vs Unknown

Combination of both in High (Bhramos) Low(Kh-41) mix.
Btw any idea why the navy still use subsonic missile does it possess any sort of advantage over supersonic ones?

KH-41 was rejected coz of maintenance & Unit-cost..

Now, Brahmos is available therefore 2 rajput class ships were updated and newer talwar class and Shivalika class are using brahmos..

Brahmos cannot be installed on Delhi class coz of deign problems so they will be installed on Kolkata Class Destroyer..

KH-35 is small and Light so does the Harpoon, therefore perfect for lighter Vessels and Airborne assets..

Last edited:

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
can thebhramos be installed in those 12 p-8i that india is going to buy from the us.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
U think US allow? :)
Kunal, US doesn't have many options. For example, IAF refused to sign the CISMOA and LSA agreements on the P-8I and C-130J and instead asked them to install Indian-made sensitive equipment on board by BEL. If the US had been adamant on pressing us at that time, it would have simply lost the contract to some EADS or even Russia (maybe JV or some already existing model to be modified). Lockheed Martin and Boeing both couldn't afford to lose contracts upwards of $8 billion especially at this stage.

IAF with their new chief has been strong and vehement when it comes to no-nonsense; something which we didn't see during previous air chiefs. ACM Naik has already conveyed many times that he assuming power means business and not stuttering around. I doubt that US can push us too much around or end up losing contracts to Europeans, Russians or now into the coming decade even local players like RTA project and MRTA.

Hence if US can be pressed to install BEL-made communications equipment instead of their own, I don't think that there would be any problem for them to allow us installing BrahMos. Only thing is that NAVY will have to be a bit more like IAF: adamant and aggressive.

Remember; Lockheed Martin had great hopes from IAF and IN when it came to "may offer F-35", which all went down the drains when MOD issued an official statement that it won't concentrate on a 3rd stealth platform. That's a big blow as they were expecting an easy money from our otherwise-weak-for-US-magic politicians.

But thankfully better sense prevailed.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles