Happy Durgapuja to everybody & Images

pmaitra

Ganesh is worshipped everytime..Infact before praying to any Lord we have to pray to Ganesh. That's the custom here.

But praying to Lord Muruga on Navratri..A new thing I am hearing....

Actually in Tamil Nadu, only Brahmins celebrate the full span of 10 days with all the Kolu stuff.

For the others its mainly the last two days that is the most auspicious and celebrated. 9 th day is Saraswathi Pujai/Ayudha Pujai (books/weapons/tools are worshipped) and the 10 th day is Vijayadasami.
By 'forget yourself,' I meant Kartik. :D You didn't get my drift.

pmaitra

akla cholo akla cholo akla cholo re .... na na na ( forget words after that) my mother ould be so dissapointed in her bengali son..
Jay,

This song above has nothing to do with Durga Puja.

The relevant song is:

Aji Bangladesher hriday hote kokhon aponi
Tumi ei aparup rupe bahir hole Janani
Ogo Maa tomai dekhe dekhe akhi na phire
Tomar duar aji khule gechhe sonar Mandire
Ogo Maaa ...

-Tagore.

P.S.: I do appreciate you remembering the song you mentioned though.

Tronic

Durga is one of the many forms of Parvati, the wife of Lord Shiva. The other most popular form in Eastern India is Kali.

Her children are: daughters Lakshmi and Saraswati, sons Ganesh and Kartik.
I think Kali must be famous with Punjab's Hindus? I have not heard of Parvati or Durga, but I have heard of Kali. There is a famous temple in Patiala based on Kali.

Her opponent from the beginning of the festival to the end (Mahalaya to Vijaya Dashami) is Mahishasura. She, on her visit to her paternal home, is engaged in a ferocious fight with Mahishasura and finally defeats him on Vijaya Dashami; hence, it is a day of Victory or Vijay of good over evil.

The deities worshipped during this 10 day festival are:
  • Durga
  • Shiva
  • Ganesh
  • Kartik
  • Lakshmi
  • Saraswati
  • Mahishasura
  • Other paraphernalia, such as, but not limited to, her weapons, her and her children's modes of trasportation (vahana) and Ganesh's wife, the banana tree.
You can find more details:
Durga Puja - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Thanks for this! Didn't know it actually goes for 10 days!

pmaitra

I think Kali must be famous with Punjab's Hindus? I have not heard of Parvati or Durga, but I have heard of Kali. There is a famous temple in Patiala based on Kali.

Thanks for this! Didn't know it actually goes for 10 days!
Punjabi Hindus are Hindus after all and yes, we have a lot in common with them as much as we have a lot in common with South Indians (see post #40 by Karthic Sri).

P.S.: My roommate is a Punjabi Hindu 'Nangia.'

pmaitra

How many bongs will be in a drunken stupor today??
Plenty.

Few might get drowned while Visarjan, many will smash their heads and end up dead riding motorcycles drunk and then there is prasad from Lord Shiva i.e. weed!

I have to add, there can be club-vs-club fights during visarjan procession, that often end up with guys from different clubs taking out their pipe-guns, swords and hurling country-made bombs at each other. This used to be frequent when I was younger, but lately, it rarely happens, but it happens.

Last edited:

Pintu

Durga Puja in Ramkrishna Mission, Belur Math :

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles