Haman10 from Iran

ladder

Country flag
persian was the main language of ancient north west india.

there are 1000 of Persian words in our Hindi,punjabi language which we use in everyday life without realizing they are Persian.

for example

sabzi
dost
dushman
duniya
assmaan
zameen
darwaza
Paaji Urdu draws heavily from Persian language vocabulary.

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate

there are 1000 of Persian words in our Hindi,punjabi language which we use in everyday life without realizing they are Persian.

for example

kitab - pustak
sabzi - sabzi
dost - mitra
dushman - shatru
duniya - jag
assmaan - gagan
zameen - dharti
darwaza - darwaza
Those are all Urdu words. Shuddh Hindi transliteration provided above. ;)

IBSA

Country flag
Hindi and Urdu are twin languages, coz they have the same origin, the Hindustani language. But urdu has more words from persian/arabic while hindi more words from sanskrit.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Hindi is derived from Sanskrit, So does Bengali and many other languages ..

Urdu is the language of invaders, Which is now mixed with our Hindi, Hence today we speak mixed Hindi ..

kseeker

Retired
Hindi is derived from Sanskrit, So does Bengali and many other languages ..

Urdu is the language of invaders, Which is now mixed with our Hindi, Hence today we speak mixed Hindi ..
Origin of Urdu

The word Urdu is derived from the same Turkic word ordu (army) that has given English horde.

From the establishment of the Delhi Sultanate and the Mughal Empire until the British Raj, Hindustani, written in the Urdu script, was the language of both Hindus and Muslims. The language was variously known as Hindi, Hindavi and Dehlavi. The communal nature of the language lasted until it replaced Persian as the official language in 1837 and was made co-official, along with English. This triggered a Hindu backlash in northwestern India, which argued that the language should be written in the native Devanagari script. Thus a new literary register, called "Hindi", replaced traditional Hindustani as the official language of Bihar in 1881, establishing a sectarian divide of "Urdu" for Muslims and "Hindi" for Hindus, a divide that was formalized with the division of India and Pakistan after independence (though there are Hindu poets who continue to write in Urdu to this day[citation needed]). At independence, Pakistan established a highly Persianized literary standard of Urdu as its national language.

Although there have been attempts to "purify" Urdu and Hindi by purging them of, respectively, their Sanskrit and Persian loan words, and new vocabulary draws primarily from Persian and Arabic for Urdu and from Sanskrit for Hindi, this has primarily affected academic and literary vocabulary, and both national standards remain heavily influenced by both Persian and Sanskrit.English has exerted a heavy influence on both as a co-official language.

Urdu - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Blackwater

no, those were persian words,urdu and hindi adopted it. BTW how many so called hindi words u described is used in our daily talks??

@ Haman 10

can u add more persian words which are adopted by hindi and urdu

Last edited:

Srinivas_K

Country flag
Persian influence on Hindi is not a considerable one, It is bollywood that uses urdu words in songs and all , and so it looks like Persian has an influence on Hindi.

Where as sanskrit and Avestan influence is more on Persian language.

mikhail

Country flag
hi everybody !! i'm haman10 from iran ! VERY glad to be among u (sorry i couldnt make a new thread in introduction section )

i realized i know a lot of your members here ..... from other forums .....

back to topic , any relations with our indian brothers is always welcome

our relations had boosted a hell lot of amount in recent years and india have shown that it can be a very trustful partner for iran .

our nations have relations for thousands of years ..... those days we were the only countries in the region ;)
a warm welcome to D.F.I. mate:namaste:i am extremely sorry for this belated welcome.now i may seem to be an unknown person to you in this forum but we have had a series of discussion on PDF about the Iranian dynasties ruling over medieval Bengal.so i am extremely glad to have an Iranian member like you amongst us in this forum.hope we can learn a lot about each other's country and our glorious ancient civilizations:thumb:

mikhail

Country flag
@Srinivas_K

mate besides you , swagger and indian-lion are also banned !!

that forum is fvcked up !
the main problem about PDF is that the moderators of that forum(i am talking about the pakis and chinese ones) are very narrow minded and they usually don't entertain any unbiased view coming from the Indians but what i find sad is that even after all these bias attitude shown by the pakis Indians are the largest group of members there.:frusty:

Last edited by a moderator:

pmaitra

for example

kitab - pustak
sabzi - sabzi
dost - mitra
dushman - shatru
duniya - jag
assmaan - gagan
zameen - dharti
darwaza - dwar
I have added one in blue. ;)

IBSA

Country flag

for example

kitab
sabzi
dost
dushman
duniya
assmaan
zameen
darwaza
I add another

ab - pani - water.

Free Karma

Ap (water) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think there are several words for water in sanskrit like: jalam, neer ...
I think neer would be Tamil/southern language origin no? Thaneer->Neer.

Jalam to me seems to be the original sanskrit word, you find a lot of pujaris still using Jalam, but other people use thaneer.

interesting topic, perhaps deserves a separate thread?

Last edited:

Srinivas_K

Country flag
True, but we dont use word aab daily in our language. We use paani which is not persian.

Pls suggest those persian words which we use daily in Our language
Persian influence on hindi is very less, one finds very few words.

Thousands of years ago Iranian tribes used avesthan as their language and Indian tribes used Sanskrit. There is a chance of existence of a language from which both a avesthan and Sanskrit are derived. This is just a theory.

When Islamic show invasions began that's when Persian influence in India started to spread, that to Persian is not a commoners language confined to kings courts.

Last edited:

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
I think neer would be Tamil/southern language origin no? Thaneer->Neer.

Jalam to me seems to be the original sanskrit word, you find a lot of pujaris still using Jalam, but other people use thaneer.
Yeah, I know thanneer and neer are used in Tamil and other Dravidian languages too. Tamil is probably the oldest language in India and yes you would hear thanneer (thanni) more commonly used in Tamil households, but I'm not sure from where the word originated.
For example consider this: there is a Greek god called Nereus (a sea God) who fathered Nerites (also a male sea god) and Nereids (water nymphs). Of course it doesn't prove anything but just something to think about.
So I'm not sure what the relation between proto-dravidian and proto-indo-european languages are.

interesting topic, perhaps deserves a separate thread?
Sure is. Hope the mods are listening. But the problem is we don't have any linguists and I sure as hell ain't one.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles