HAL Light Utility Helicopter (LUH) and Light Observation Helicopter (LOH)

abingdonboy

Country flag
Pretty. Hate being spoilsport but cautious optimism should be the approach. Going by lch example there are going to be many years before loh enters service
Fair enough but let's not be overly critical- no helo goes from first flight to certified and in service overnight, it takes many years.

The HAL LUH is going to change the face of India's rotary wing aviation sector both military and civilian. The HAL LUH could easily have 1000 orders just in India by 2030 and don't think HAL doesn't appreciate the potential, the plant they are creating for the LUH will have an installed capacity of 60 LUH/year.

abingdonboy

Country flag
HAL needs some expert services on interior design, fit and finish. A great product if not packaged well, will lose limelight. We just need to add good aesthetics and showcase to world our manufacturing capabilities.
This is just a mock up, the real thing will be as good as any similar Western product. HAL follows near identical safety/certification practicies as the West (N.America and Europe), the ALH is a quality product, the LUH and LCH won't be any different.

Flame Thrower

During BRICS 2016 Summit, we have made lot of deals with Russia and one of them is 200 Kamov 226 LUH.

Doesn't this deal kill our HAL LUH/LOH!?

What are the parameters where K-226 excel our LUH.

Gurus please shed some light on this.

P.s. I think S-400 came with lot of strings attached.

Last edited:

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
During BRICS 2016, we have linked lot of deals with Russia, and one of them is 200 Kamov 226 LUH....

So is it to say good bye HAL's LUH/LOH!?

How K-226 is better than our LUH.....

Gurus, please shed some light
It does not have the tail rotor but has tow rotors one above other rotating in opposite direction to manage (Nullify)the force in a particular direction generated out of rotation.. This will save about 15% of energy used in tail rotor and we may better utilize the energy for lifting the chopper than managing the torque generated by upper rotor. So in normal chopper power is distributed 85% in upper rotor and 15% in tail rotor (Which is useless yet necessary to keep chopper stable). In this double rotor design, we may use full power in lifting the chopper.

Last edited:

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
Russian choppers like KA 52 alligator use this sort of technique and that is why they lifts a great weight compared to comparable chopper of US and Europe.

Flame Thrower

Both lift same amount of weight then why not for LCH, in future we can upgrade it.

Plus, it gives a boost for Make in India.

200 choppers! It is a lot of money close to $ billion and hal gets more business, can invest more money in R&D.

Numbers make prices go down, helps to export light helos at low cost all over the world

Now my only concern is whether LUH is facing any major problems which are to effects its induction by 2018!?

Last edited:

Bahamut

During BRICS 2016 Summit, we have made lot of deals with Russia and one of them is 200 Kamov 226 LUH.

No, Ka 226 is a double engine copper while LUH is single engine.
Think of it like the Cheetah and Chetal copper team.
Ka 226 has modular design which might help in future copper design.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Before going further, Check out specs between KA 226 and Dhruv not LUH ..

No, Ka 226 is a double engine copper while LUH is single engine.Think of it like the Cheetah and Chetal copper team.Ka 226 has modular design which might help in future copper design.

Bahamut

Before going further, Check out specs between KA 226 and Dhruv not LUH ..
LUH/LOH
General characteristics

• Crew: 2
  • Capacity: up to 6 passengers
  • Empty weight: 1,910[7] kg (4,211 lb)
  • Max takeoff weight: 3,150[7] kg (6,945 lb)
  • Powerplant: 1 × HAL/Turbomeca Shakti 1U turboshaft engine, 1,272 kW (1,706 hp)
Performance

• Cruising speed: 220 km/h (137 mph; 119 kn)
  • Never exceed speed: 250 km/h (155 mph; 135 kn)
  • Range: 350 km (217 mi; 189 nmi)
  • Service ceiling: 6,500 m (21,325 ft)
  • Rate of climb: 7.5 m/s (1,480 ft/min)
  • Fuel consumption: 0.69 kg/km (2.4 lb/mi)
  • Thrust/weight: 5.6
  • Ka226
  • General characteristics
    • Crew: 1-2
    • Passengers: 7
    • Cargo: 1,050 kg internally, or 1,100 kg on an external sling
    • Length: 8.1 m (25 ft 7 in)
    • Main rotor diameter: 2× 13 m (42 ft 8 in)
    • Height: 4.15 m (13 ft 7 in)
    • Gross weight: 3800 kg (8379 lb)
    • Powerplant: 2 × Turbomeca Arrius 2G1, 435 kW (580 hp) each
    Performance
    • Maximum speed: 250 km/h (155 mph)
    • Cruising speed: 220 km/h (137 mph)
    • Range: 600 km (373 miles)
    • Service ceiling: 6200 m (20300 ft)
    • Hover ceiling: 4600 m (15088 ft)

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag

No, IAF is going to operate a mix.

Flame Thrower

Ok, but here is the question.....

If I have my bike and my cousins bike, i would prefer to use my bike.

When we have equally capable helo LUH as k-226, then we should buy LUH unless

1. K-226 provides additional advantages than LUH.
OR​
2. LUH encountered a serious problem and may take more time and may not be available by early 20's.
OR​
3. We are forced to buy Kamov as it is tied up with S-400.

So folks, the reason could be any of the above. I know it is not 1 and can only hope it is not 2

PD_Solo

The only one
Country flag

OR​
2. LUH encountered a serious problem and may take more time and may not be available by early 20's.
OR​

So folks, the reason could be any of the above. I know it is not 1 and can only hope it is not 2
Now some of the features that make Kamov Ka-226T so special.

The Ka-226T is a powerful, light multirole helicopter that, in addition to meeting high safety standards, boasts incredibly precise hovering ability, excellent manoeuvrability and is very easy to fly. Improved performance characteristics of the Ka-226T include eco-friendly features, efficiency, modern avionics and additional flight safety solutions – making this one of the best models in its class.

The Ka-226T is powered by 580 h.p. FADEC-equipped Arrius 2G1 engines by Turbomeca which enables the helicopter to land or take-off safely if one engine fails.The coaxial main rotor system and absence of a tail rotor not only makes it safer on the ground and in the air, but also makes it possible to use the Ka-226T in spaces with scant room for manoeuver, as the fuselage does not extend beyond the area swept by the rotors.The Ka-226 can operate day and night, in regular and adverse weather conditions, over land or expanses of water, and also in high winds.It is operation in temperatures ranging from -50°С до +50°С with a relative humidity of 100%, and does not need to be kept in a hangar.

The Ka-226T helicopter boasts a modular design and can be delivered in a variety of modifications.

The passenger model can comfortably set up to seven people.The transport model can carry one tonne within the fuselage or on an external sling and cargo platform can be installed to carry oversize goods.The Ka-226T has two kinds of medical uses – medevac and intensive care. Medevac helicopters are equipped with stretchers to carry the injured, oxygen cylinders, and the requisite medical equipment. There are fold-away seats for medical staff. When used to provide intensive-care treatment, the Ka-226T can accommodate one patient and two medical staff.As a police vehicle, the Ka-226T can transport up to six people and is excellently suited to law enforcement activities such as: ensuring law and order, patrolling areas, identifying and tracking criminals, and managing the traffic police.The search-and-rescue version of the Ka-226 can operate in difficult climates and in a range of different environments, including mountainous areas. High hover precision makes it possible to get injured people on board safely.

PD_Solo

The only one
Country flag

OR​
OR​

Here are some other reasons that may have prompted the MoD decision in favor of Ka-226T

Being twin engine (Tubromeca Arrius 2G1), the Ka-226T is safer than the single engine (Turbomeca Arriel-2) AS550 C3.Ka-226T's Turbomecca Arrius 2G1 engines are manufactured by France's Safran. HAL and Safran have an existing technical tie-up; they jointly developed the Shakti engine for HAL's Dhruv Light Utility Helicopter (LUH) and Light Combat Helicopter (LCH). The Shakti is a derivative of Safran's Turbomecca TM333-2B engine.The Arrius 2G1, which is customized for the Ka-226, can reportedly use multiple grades of fuel without performance penalty. The Ka-226T engines can reportedly be restarted in 35 seconds; the AS550 C3 engine needs 45 seconds.Ka-226T rotor blades can be folded back towards the tail boom, facilitating compact storage and easy transportation.Ka-226T autopilot features four axis stabilization facilitating hovering, which is not case with AS550 C3.The Ka-226T is bigger and heavier featuring more cargo space and 40 percent heavier payload (1160 kg vs 760 kg)A helicopter with contra-rotating rotors is more stable in gusty winds such as those encountered in mountainous regions.The use of contra-rotating rotors reduces rotor diameter, which facilitates higher max speeds.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag

OR​
OR​

Main reason I.guess is promotion of Make in India which has been happening since last 2 years of this government. Good fot domestic industry.

Flame Thrower

@PD_Solo

Thanks for detailed info on K-226. By your details, I understood that K-226 goes for Kashmir and glacier area to replace Cheetah, Chetak and Cheetal models. LUH can be used by our forces rest of the places other than Kashmir.

Chinmoy

Country flag
@PD_Solo

Thanks for detailed info on K-226. By your details, I understood that K-226 goes for Kashmir and glacier area to replace Cheetah, Chetak and Cheetal models. LUH can be used by our forces rest of the places other than Kashmir.
Along with all these, Ka-226 range is near double then LUH. LUH is more of a troop carrier whereas Ka-226 could be modified as troop as well as freight carrier. It would supplement heavy lifters.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles