HAL Light Utility Helicopter (LUH) and Light Observation Helicopter (LOH)

abingdonboy

Country flag
There is a Chetak replacement market across IN and ICG. At this time I think there is a good chance that Ka-226 will fulfill that role given Kamov's traditional presence in this space. Arguably Ka-226 is a better choice than LUH:
The Ka-226 is not a naval helo and the IN is not considering it. The NLUH will be the Panther IMO.

I'd be pretty happy to see the Ka-226T deal collapse at this point, it is only being pursued because of politics now. With the HAL LUH not far off I'd rather see the HAL LUH have 400 orders from day one and a further 200 later (total IAF/IA LUH requirement is for about 600 units).

LCH: No naval requirement but I do hope to see it in service with at least small numbers. For example, operate a couple of INS Vikramaditya for:

- sanitization and force protection in littorals
- Assist with small scale special ops by MARCOS.
- protect against drones
LCH will never operate off a carrier, if they are going to operate from a ship it will be a LHD/LPD. IF/when the IN has its own marine infantry force then 100% a naval LCH should be developed for use on the LHD/LPD ships.

abingdonboy

Country flag
Agreed again. It is a strict "may be"...didn't want to leave out any possibilities so I included it. Yes I did have the Naval Infantry forces in mind...but even then it's likely they could even go with the heavier Apache AH-64Es when they come to that point. No guarantee they'll buy N-LCH even then.
If/when the Naval infantry are ready then the LCH should be explored as I expect by then it will have been far more matured and will feature a signifcant amount of upgrades over what it currently has. I still don't see the Naval infantry force being ready for another 10-12 years so there is plenty of time.

salute

The new engine with 20% higher kW power output is called Shakti-1U.

It's an improvement over the previous Shakti-1H1 that powers both Dhruv and LCH. Both these engines are based on the Turbomeca Ardiden design. HAL only produces them under license.

http://www.turbomeca.com/helicopter-engines/1000-2000-shp/ardiden

http://www.turbomeca.com/engine-partnerships/partnerships/shakti

While thousands of crores were spent on developing turbofan engines, no-one in the MoD or HAL fraternity thought that it would be a wise idea to invest in R&D for turboshaft engines for helicopters....which are relatively less complex, and have a huge market - much bigger than for jet engines. If this were a private company, things would be very different.

As of this part in your comment :

"This will be a big blow to the French company that currently supplies those engines"

Not at all....infact they're gonna get a big boost in revenue from India.
maybe their thinking was to make jet engines first,because that tech is a such a hurdle for india to make jet aircraft,

its the a such a big hurdle for india to become independent at making jets,

while helicopters engine is relatively cheap to buy and relatively cheap to create that tech,

this is the same thinking of them which was also at making missiles tech,
they gonna for making icbm first even before short range or medium range missiles,

yeah its a little different thing because icbms are about deterrence of the country,the ultimate weapon,
and air defence at different ranges is different thing,
but maybe this deterrence made india to do other defence negotiations easier,

even if jet engines is a smaller market than helicopter engines but it is more premium for defence industry to become established industry of aerospace tech.

gslv markIII

Country flag
The HTSE project has just started. It'll be quite a while before its ready for production. Till then it's the Shakti-1U that will drive the chopper game forward.
Yup,even that 25 KN turbofan would require quite a long time.

Abhi9

Country flag
SELF DELETE..............................................................

Last edited:

Bahamut

Hey guys I find this on Janes
Powered by a single Shakti 1U turboshaft engine - a derivative of the Shakti (Arididen 1H1) engine developed jointly by HAL and France's Turbomeca - the LUH has a two-man crew and an operating range of 350 km. It is intended to be capable of carrying a 500 kg payload at sea level and 75 kg at its operational ceiling of 6,000 m.

Is it true as the performance in high altitude is not what army will need.
Link:http://www.janes.com/article/54146/hal-pushing-for-luh-first-flight-in-december

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
An armed version would have little utility in Indian service not with the Rudra, LCH and Apache being inducted. An armed variant would be good to boost the LUH's export credentials though.
Can't we deliver the punch very cost effectively in low intensity conflict such as against some insurgent group? I think that a single seated version with a powerful gun and some rocket can make a good amount of damage.

abingdonboy

Country flag
Can't we deliver the punch very cost effectively in low intensity conflict such as against some insurgent group? I think that a single seated version with a powerful gun and some rocket can make a good amount of damage.
1) There is no utility for such a helo in Indian service
2) Gunships generally are twin seaters- 1 pilot flies, the other "fights", it would be unlikely you could have a single seat version especially given the LUH's design.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles