HAL Prachand - Light Combat Helicopter (LCH)

patriots

Defense lover
Country flag
Ia will be the happiest with lch...
As it won't depend on iaf for attack helo

abingdonboy

Country flag
Still confused where its defence suite is.
THIS!!! This is how all PSUs should behave... :india:

(Frankly HAL should have done this for Tejas too, maybe they did... Heard about Mark 1A metal cutting already begun)
It’s possibly far too expensive to begin making the MK1A without an advanced payment from IAF although I’m sure work is going on getting ready for the anticipated order.

I hope they use better camo on both IAF and IA LCH's. Black camo doesn't make sense example:- Army's Rudra.
This one was best... Don't know why the replaced it with the grey-black polygons!
Army will get black ones, IAF will have Tipnis grey ones, that is the reality. These paint jobs are done by HAL mostly to be eye catching at airshows, they have nothing to do with the user preferences or plans.

Last edited:

porky_kicker

Country flag
Forget about the stickers and all

EE1XrKhX4AA7hrj.jpeg

If I were you I would be wondering why the heck HAL has started building up LCHs considering till now no CMDS , RWR , MAWS , DIRCMS etc have been integrated on LCH. ( no official word or evidence for the same )

This requires airframe modifications and thus extensive tests in wind tunnels and in-flight to ensure minimum aerodynamic interactions and best possible coverage etc.

Except for DIRCMS everything is available from Rudra , still no forethought on installing the same.

LCH will be a sitting duck to SAMs and MANPADs without all these.

Half baked approach like this from morons incharge puts indigenous products in danger of rejection.

I am waiting for the inevitable drama on LCH to unfold in the future.

Last edited:

power_monger

Country flag

View attachment 38728

If I were you I would be wondering why the heck HAL has started building up LCHs considering till now no CMDS , RWR , MAWS , DIRCMS etc have been integrated on LCH. ( no official word or evidence for the same )

This requires airframe modifications and thus extensive tests in wind tunnels and in-flight to ensure minimum aerodynamic interactions and best possible coverage etc.

Except for DIRCMS everything is available from Rudra , still no forethought on installing the same.

Half baked approach like this from morons incharge puts indigenous products in danger of rejection.

"The LCH is fitted with self protection suite consisting of radar/laser missile warning systems and countermeasures dispensing system."

"The LCH is protected via an extensive electronic warfare suite which is provided by the South African division of Saab Group; this suite comprises various defensive elements to guard against several different threats, these include a radar warning receiver (RWR), laser warning receiver (LWR) and a missile approach warning (MAW) system.[4]" ----- as per wiki

This is what I have read in many articles.

Last edited:

abingdonboy

Country flag

View attachment 38728

You can see the receivers and dispensers on the mock up, but still into LSP nothing. I just dont get it.
All of the above are off the shelf products that are all already in service in India and most of them on the Rudra. There’s very little need to re-validate their performance on the LCH that has almost identical sub-systems to the Rudra. If this was a priority you’d have seen all the TDs after TD1 with such accessories but the fact is the only things you’d need to find out for the LCH over and above the Rudra in respect to these counter measures is mass and balance/CoG information and field of detection. All such things can be figured out using simulations.

Saying the LCH is half baked because you haven’t seen a TD with such systems is perhaps the most ridiculous thing I’ve seen said in this subject and you know much better @porky_kicker than that. You really think the IA/IAF would accept into service anything less than the very best operational hardware from the indigenous industry??

Let’s not be drama queens, these are trivial details that are inevitably already addressed.

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag
All of the above are off the shelf products that are all already in service in India and most of them on the Rudra. There’s very little need to re-validate their performance on the LCH that has almost identical sub-systems to the Rudra. If this was a priority you’d have seen all the TDs after TD1 with such accessories but the fact is the only things you’d need to find out for the LCH over and above the Rudra in respect to these counter measures is mass and balance/CoG information and field of detection. All such things can be figured out using simulations.

Saying the LCH is half baked because you haven’t seen a TD with such systems is perhaps the most ridiculous thing I’ve seen said in this subject and you know much better @porky_kicker than that. You really think the IA/IAF would accept into service anything less than the very best operational hardware from the indigenous industry??

Let’s not be drama queens, these are trivial details that are inevitably already addressed.

I am pretty sure it's important to find the optimal location to puts these receivers - this warrants testing. And possible airframe changes. Sure it's on the Rudra, Dhruv, completely different airframes though. They also tested the same rockets, chin mounted gun, etc. on the Rudra as well.

Hell, we have seen so many structural changes on the LCH from the weapon stubs, the engine housing, how the cockpit doors open, addition of more armor plating, recently having the exhausts pointing upward, even addition of fairings on the chin mounted gun due to the testing, trialing phase. The airframe with the defence suite should've been tested from the get-go.

Sorry, if wing stubs can be looked into and redesigned optimal countermeasures should have too.

Last edited:

porky_kicker

Country flag

You should read what I wrote again sir.

I said " half baked approach " of HAL and I definitely did not say half baked LCH as you implied.

And coming to the subject matter stimulations are not the end all solution , they are means to a solution but still require real life validation.

Let's take the example of LCH and its stub wings , inspite of validation by countless stimulations , the designers had to reconfigure / redesign the stub wings twice if my memory serves me well , both times after pilot inputs and study of flight performances real time in flight in operational conditions.

LCH is a aerodynamically sleek platform expected to fly at rarified atmosphere at very high altitudes , this alone imposes a strict margin on aerodynamic modifications however small on its fuselage unlike the ones we see in Rudra ie the large box like structures containing the RWR , MAWS etc.

Unless ones actual flies the LCH fitted with its intended suite of sensor and accompanying external appendages one cannot be sure of problems arising from the same inspite of running hundreds of stimulations. Real life validation is required for it to be certified and cleared for production.

The boxy sensor suite configuration as present in Rudra IMO is unsuitable for LCH , because as far as I am concerned for a aerodynamically sleek aircraft like LCH , near flush / near conform sensor configuration will be needed.

I am no expert nor claim to be one but these are not trivial details.

Anyways let's see , time will only tell

Last edited:

lover

Country flag
LCH is in under production now, so guyzz what should be the name of this hellicopter ?? any suggestions?

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
LCH is in under production now, so guyzz what should be the name of this hellicopter ?? any suggestions?
HAL Garuda, because of flight ceiling with weapon load..

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles