HAL Advanced Light Helicopter Dhruv

Rahul Singh

Country flag
Of course they did and that's why they have the obvious similarities, which are based on the German design (and as you probably know, not the only indigenous development that was based on German designs). The whole development was based on MBB's "design" experience and know how, to develop an own varient, just as Shakti engine is a jointly developed varient of a Safran engine too and that's the advantage we needed to start of in that field and which is why the helicopter segment is a success.
Source???????????????????????????

Last edited:

Rahul Singh

Country flag
Meanwhile my source (straight from Horse's Mouth).

I don't think a lead designer or a design partner or a TOT supplier would ever be referred to as a Consultant.

While I do not deny MBB's inputs in the overall design of ALH as a consultant. The fact remains that most of the suggested concepts were unproven which were later proven by HAL on its own.

So ALH is neither based on a proven design (despite the similarity in appearance) supplied in ready-made by MBB nor a designed in India entirely by MBB.

ALH.jpg

Last edited:

Sancho

I don't think a lead designer or a design partner or a TOT supplier would ever be referred to as a Consultant.
So your only point is the wording?

Just read this and the following posts:
http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/...ght-helicopter-dhruv.3144/page-37#post-831724

Also contrary to Dassault in LCA, MBB was not hired for the design only, but also as a "consultant" for the development and testing stage, that's why the contract was for such a long time and not like Airbus consultancy in LCAs test or NLCA's re-design stages, that were only for short periods.

binayak95

Country flag
Sieh dir den Tweet von @HALHQBLR an:
This is BS.. The Dhruv won't get any civilian orders at all.

Tell me the day HAL agrees to pvt partners for military variants. That won't ever happen, because then HAL might have to become competitive.

Sancho

This is BS.. The Dhruv won't get any civilian orders at all.

Tell me the day HAL agrees to pvt partners for military variants. That won't ever happen, because then HAL might have to become competitive.
Actually it's better this way, than to do it on their own. Civil operators might have more trust in Dhruv if they are sold and supported by TATA for example.
If they find a good partner it's a smart move, but it won't be easy and what I have read so far, getting the needed civil aviation approvals might be tricky too, before it actually can be sold or exported abroad.

Rahul Singh

Country flag
So your only point is the wording?

Just read this and the following posts:
http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/...ght-helicopter-dhruv.3144/page-37#post-831724

Also contrary to Dassault in LCA, MBB was not hired for the design only, but also as a "consultant" for the development and testing stage, that's why the contract was for such a long time and not like Airbus consultancy in LCAs test or NLCA's re-design stages, that were only for short periods.
Not 'only' but suffice for the matter.

A consultant and a Design Partner are two different things. The source I mentioned in my earlier post clearly called it a Consultant. So says a lot about MBB's involvement in the project. Furthermore, MBB did not even complete its intended role in ALH project. Did not stayed for even for half of it. And this is where I emphasize more.

So as it turns out you posted a link that repeats what I have spoken earlier many time with a video that I have posted many times. And all the while you have come with no source to support your claim that ALH is based on MBB's blueprints.

Carry on!

Rahul Singh

Country flag
Key differences between BK-117 and ALH DHRUV

Hinged vs HIngless

1727 kg vs 2502 kg empty weight

3350 kg vs 5500 kg MTOW

15000 ft vs 20000 ft ceiling

etc.

After the departure of MBB even before completion of the first phase of flight testing, it was HAL that made improvements and design changes ultimately till getting it certified on its own. So the credit goes to HAL for certifying and proving many of the unproven concepts that were introduced in ALH. That is the reason HAL neither pays a royalty to MBB nor claims any other status other than that of an OEM.

Sancho

Not 'only' but suffice for the matter.

A consultant and a Design Partner are two different things.
As explained, not when you are hired for the design AND the development and testIng. Either way, the point was that the design was based on MBB design base and there is no doubt about that.

proud_indian

Country flag
India expands Dhruv cockpit upgrade
01 MAY, 2018
SOURCE: FLIGHTGLOBAL.COM
BY: ARIE EGOZI
TEL AVIV

Israel Aerospace Industries' Lahav division has received a follow-on contract to continue an avionics upgrade on the Indian armed forces' Hindustan Aeronautics Dhruv advanced light helicopters.

An initial award covered work on 50 of the twin-engined rotorcraft, with the latest deal concerning a further 150 examples. Work is already under way.

Benjamin Cohen, vice-president and general manager of the Lahav division, says the follow-on contract includes Dhruvs that are used for both land-based and maritime missions.

Cohen says modification kits are produced in Israel, before being shipped to India. "The upgrade kits are made according to the mission of the helicopter," he notes.

Elements of the enhancement package include installing a full glass cockpit with a moving map display. These features are part of an integrated architecture display system, which Lahav says is aimed at optimising the operational performance of the helicopter and its pilots.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/india-expands-dhruv-cockpit-upgrade-448215/

proud_indian

Country flag
Anyone!

Why couldn't we upgrade the above mentioned avionics and displays ourselves? Why are the companies like Samtel, HALBIT, BEL here for?

Samsung J7

Anyone!

Why couldn't we upgrade the above mentioned avionics and displays ourselves? Why are the companies like Samtel, HALBIT, BEL here for?
Our indigenous content in Dhruv is less than 50%. Engine, avionics, self protection and other all important equipments r imported

aarav

जय परशुराम‍।
Country flag
The shakti engine is license manufactured in India , these avionics are mission based mostly for attack Rudra copters , don't peddle misinformation calling 50% Dhruv subsystem imported , coming to Dhruv mk4 indigenous content has increased tremendously ,we don't make this special mission based avionics because it is cheaper to buy and by far Israel has the best avionics and radars that's why most of our information warfare system is Israeli ,there is not 1 system which has 100% indigenous content Gripen case in point

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles