Guru Gary bids goodbye, time to say hello to Warne?

SHASH2K2

Guru Gary bids goodbye, time to say hello to Warne?

MUMBAI/JAIPUR: After leading Team India to a historic World Cup victory, coach Gary Kirsten bid India an emotional goodbye on Tuesday.

The affable former South African opening batsman, who also helped India reach the No. 1 Test ranking, left for home to conclude one of the happiest and most successful phases in his career and that of Indian cricket.

The soft-spoken and shy Kirsten, who took up the coach's job as a greenhorn, heaped praise on the Indian team, Sachin Tendulkar and captain M S Dhoni as he spoke to the media at the BCCI Cricket Centre.

Reading from a statement, Kirsten said, "It's been a remarkable journey over the last three years with Team India. This has been one of the most cherished experiences of my life. We set our goals as a team way back in October 2008, we wanted to become the No.1 ranked Test team in the world and win the World Cup. We have achieved both those goals and the players of both the Test team and the World Cup squad can be extremely proud of this magnificent achievement."

Meanwhile, in Jaipur, Aussie leg-spin legend and captain-cum-coach of IPL franchise Rajasthan Royals, Shane Warne, added a touch of spice and drama to Kirsten's departure. Although he did not say so in as many words, the Aussie's body language indicated that he might consider the job, if it came his way.

"I would enjoy working with the Indian team for sure," he said while replying to a question during the unveiling ceremony of Rajasthan Royals' jersey. That puts the onus solely on the BCCI whether to accept this "offer".

Warne, who is the coach-cum-skipper of the Jaipur-based team, showed shrewd cricketing acumen when he led the Royals to victory in the first edition of the IPL in 2008 against all odds. The 41-year-old Warne, who has never captained Australia, is known as much for controversies off the field as for his brilliant show on it.

After the "bitter" experience that Team India had with Greg Chappell, it would be interesting to see whether the Indian players would be willing to accept another headstrong coach.

SHASH2K2

If Warne becomes Indian coach I am sure there will be a private performance of Poonam Pandey in welcome ceremony for our coach . :D

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Get out while you are on top. So many American athletes need to learn from this man.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
Coaches are supposed to instill calmness and confidence, just try calling Warne a fatty.. :D

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
Well if warne becomes coach, Indian team will become womanizer :D

Patriot

Country flag
The worst part is the manner Gary left for South Africa. There was no body to bid him good bye at airport. It is very sad that BCCI & Indian Team lack very basic courtesy for the person who has guided them to World Cup victory.

Very disappointing to know this.

Keeping Shane Warne as Indian Team's coach will be blunder. Despite being a good player, this fellow is attention seeker & controversy monger. It will be very difficult for him to even pass one year as coach of Indian cricket team. Worst choice to make as coach.

SHASH2K2

Indian team needs someone with a calm head over the shoulders. someone who keeps low profile like John wright and Garry Kirsten. Warne will not be able to handle so many bull headed players. when you can manage with love why show attitude?

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
I don't know about how much good Gary did but he sure didn't do any damage (compared to Chappell). It seems Gary's cool and calm way fit well with the team that has a similar captain as well.

Regards,
Virendra

Blackwater

i still feel Andy flower of UK is better candidate for Indian coach.

GPM

Tihar Jail
Banned
If Chappel is a prototype, no Australian should be made coach. They will wreck Team India.

Blackwater

We need Greg Chappel as Indian coach!
After Greg Chappel episode i dont think BCCI will go for any Aussi. I still feel Andy Flower is very intelligent coach, he took UK to new level.

Oracle

After Greg Chappel episode i dont think BCCI will go for any Aussi. I still feel Andy Flower is very intelligent coach, he took UK to new level.
After what he did to the Indian team, his paycheque needs to be paid in full with interest. His becoming the coach will make sure he gets a couple of more slaps at almost every airport he lands.:rolleyes:

Blackwater

After what he did to the Indian team, his paycheque needs to be paid in full with interest. His becoming the coach will make sure he gets a couple of more slaps at almost every airport he lands.:rolleyes:
and by that time Indian team will become pakistani team.............

sandeepdg

I think it will be difficult to replace a man like Gary Kirsten. And we all know that Warne has a serious drinking and womanizing problem, no way he's becoming the coach for sure, BCCI won't accept his behavior. I wish Kirsten had stuck around for some more.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles