Gujarat govt issues Rs 2,979-cr work order to L&T for Statue of Unity

Sourav Kumar

Yeah really . There is no deny denying his importance . But he would not have been impressed with such grand monuments .
I am not denying Ballav Patel's hard work. I am just amused that people might even think that without Patel, India would have been "540 odd little nations worth nothing".

Sourav Kumar

Since Patel's statue has been made (I am all for that) and puja-arati-aradhana of Patel has started, let me be the spoil-sport here.

I do not rate Patel that high. (And educated Hindu Bengalis with my bent of mind who are a very small minority in WB as of now would never rate Patel that high). Patel was part of the establishment in Congress under the chhatrachhaya of Papatma Gandhi. He was as much part of the "abedan-nibedan" (humble submission of lawyerly application/begging to the british) gang that Congress was at that time. It is another matter that during transition of power Papi Gandhi preferred Nehru over Patel most probably because the British wanted Nehru.

There are some interesting points about relationship between Patel and Subhash Bose. These things are generally not discussed. Neither in history books, nor in this forum (from what i have seen).

"Only if one ignores the evidence of history. For Vallabhbhai Patel’s relationship with Subhas Bose was shot through with tension. It rapidly deteriorated after the death of Vallabhbhai’s elder brother, Vithalbhai, in 1933. Bose had nursed Vithalbhai during his last illness. In his will, the elder Patel left three-fourths of his estate to Bose, to be used ‘preferably for publicity work on behalf of India’s cause in other countries’. Vallabhbhai now cast aspersions on the authenticity of the will. A long legal battle ensued, which ended in a triumph for Vallabhbhai, with Vithalbhai’s next of kin getting the money instead of Subhas.

Five years later, Vallabhbhai opposed Gandhi’s decision to propose Bose’s name for the presidency of the Congress. Gandhi over-ruled his objection, and Bose became president anyway. In 1939, when Bose sought a second term, Patel opposed him again. In a public statement, he warned Bose that even if he were elected, his policies would be vetted and if required vetoed by the working committee (peopled by Patel loyalists)."

https://www.hindustantimes.com/colu...el-and-bose/story-qctC1zkNRCNc6eF024x4EO.html
(I know Ramachandra Guha is not the ideal source but these are facts- I know them from other sources as well)

So, Patel was not a saint. He was part of the Gandhi-Nehru gang though he had his own aspirations within the gang. This gang did not let Indians know when Azad Hind Fauz had set foot on NE border of India and they did not ask Indians to revolt against the British because they hoped that they would be handed over the power by British.

Coming to unification of India... Huh... India was divided my friends, it was not unified in 1947. Patel did his hard work to negotiate with princely kingdoms to be part of India. That's it. He had to do. Credit must go to him for that but we must remember that we were very unfortunate (maybe deservingly) to have a PM like Nehru. Coming back to taking care of Nizam, yes, that was a big achievement given the secular nature of Gandhi-Nehru gang. But that looks an achievement only when you look at that from the comparative uselessness/ self-serving sold-out attitude of Gandhi-Nehru. Any independent country with least amount of self-respect with an army (and navy and air force that had revolted against the british) would have just asked army/police to settle the things. Patel did just that but only after much negotiation with Nehru.

So much for Patel.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Since Patel's statue has been made (I am all for that) and puja-arati-aradhana of Patel has started, let me be the spoil-sport here.

I do not rate Patel that high. (And educated Hindu Bengalis with my bent of mind who are a very small minority in WB as of now would never rate Patel that high). Patel was part of the establishment in Congress under the chhatrachhaya of Papatma Gandhi. He was as much part of the "abedan-nibedan" (humble submission of lawyerly application/begging to the british) gang that Congress was at that time. It is another matter that during transition of power Papi Gandhi preferred Nehru over Patel most probably because the British wanted Nehru.

There are some interesting points about relationship between Patel and Subhash Bose. These things are generally not discussed. Neither in history books, nor in this forum (from what i have seen).

"Only if one ignores the evidence of history. For Vallabhbhai Patel’s relationship with Subhas Bose was shot through with tension. It rapidly deteriorated after the death of Vallabhbhai’s elder brother, Vithalbhai, in 1933. Bose had nursed Vithalbhai during his last illness. In his will, the elder Patel left three-fourths of his estate to Bose, to be used ‘preferably for publicity work on behalf of India’s cause in other countries’. Vallabhbhai now cast aspersions on the authenticity of the will. A long legal battle ensued, which ended in a triumph for Vallabhbhai, with Vithalbhai’s next of kin getting the money instead of Subhas.

Five years later, Vallabhbhai opposed Gandhi’s decision to propose Bose’s name for the presidency of the Congress. Gandhi over-ruled his objection, and Bose became president anyway. In 1939, when Bose sought a second term, Patel opposed him again. In a public statement, he warned Bose that even if he were elected, his policies would be vetted and if required vetoed by the working committee (peopled by Patel loyalists)."

https://www.hindustantimes.com/colu...el-and-bose/story-qctC1zkNRCNc6eF024x4EO.html
(I know Ramachandra Guha is not the ideal source but these are facts- I know them from other sources as well)

So, Patel was not a saint. He was part of the Gandhi-Nehru gang though he had his own aspirations within the gang. This gang did not let Indians know when Azad Hind Fauz had set foot on NE border of India and they did not ask Indians to revolt against the British because they hoped that they would be handed over the power by British.

Coming to unification of India... Huh... India was divided my friends, it was not unified in 1947. Patel did his hard work to negotiate with princely kingdoms to be part of India. That's it. He had to do. Credit must go to him for that but we must remember that we were very unfortunate (maybe deservingly) to have a PM like Nehru. Coming back to taking care of Nizam, yes, that was a big achievement given the secular nature of Gandhi-Nehru gang. But that looks an achievement only when you look at that from the comparative uselessness/ self-serving sold-out attitude of Gandhi-Nehru. Any independent country with least amount of self-respect with an army (and navy and air force that had revolted against the british) would have just asked army/police to settle the things. Patel did just that but only after much negotiation with Nehru.

So much for Patel.
Perhaps patel was chosen, not because of his virtues/contribution . But rather to break the Gandhi Nehru monopoly .

It has triggered a race to build statues/monuments for non Gandhi and non Nehru personalities.

It is a 3000 crore statement.

Human mind subconsciously recognises strong messaging.

Gujjus alone will make the tourist spot profitable, don’t worry about it.

Sourav Kumar

Perhaps patel was chosen, not because of his virtues/contribution . But rather to break the Gandhi Nehru monopoly .

It has triggered a race to build statues/monuments for non Gandhi and non Nehru personalities.

It is a 3000 crore statement.

Human mind subconsciously recognises strong messaging.

Gujjus alone will make the tourist spot profitable, don’t worry about it.
I never worried for Patel my entire life and I would worry for his tourist spot? Why, I may even visit it! But I worry about history of India.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
I never worried for Patel my entire life and I would worry for his tourist spot? Why, I may even visit it! But I worry about history of India.
Is history anything but a narrative?

Just enjoy the show , if it is not impacting you directly.

No point worrying about the things you cannot control.

Maja MA!!!!!

Sourav Kumar

Is history anything but a narrative?

Just enjoy the show , if it is not impacting you directly.

No point worrying about the things you cannot control.

Maja MA!!!!!
Really? LOL

Please enter a message with at least 30 characters.

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Country flag
Did Patel have more contribution than that of Nehru or Gandhi in unifying India. May be or not. Did he have more contribution in the independence movement. May be or not. Yet, he was but one of the coterie that got rid of Subhash, undermined the nationalist movement in favour of Self-rule and actually preserved the British interest. Yet, he perhaps was more pragmatic of the group and understood the value a more powerful Indian republic would have. He might not have been an Anglophile like Nehru and Gandhi.

However, we need to be pragmatic. Unfortunately, our masses have been fed cool aid of the great Indian National Congress' struggles for independence. The Gandhis and Nehrus, the perverts have been whitewashed and placed on pedestals. To break that aura of sainthood of the perverts, Patel is the perfect hammer to bring down. It will build a counternarrative and already it shows in the mind of people. Nehru and Gandhi aren't anymore the holy paragons of virtue they have been made out to be throughout the 6 decades of brainwahsing. The Patel debate itself dug up enough worms and skeletons that piqued people's interest and made a larger group to dig more deeper. Yes, Patel's statue is doing more good than bad, and that is why the stooges and sychophants are in a tizzy to save their masters' lairs.

Sourav Kumar

It's just psychological warfare.
BJP decided to dedicate the statue to Vallabhai because it helped his image.
I'm sure someday they will build a infrastructure dedicated to Subash Chandra Bose if necessary.
I understand BJP's strategy and they should do more of it. For example they could celebrate Lal Bahadur Shatri Jayanti (Just like secular govt of Karnataka celebrates Tipu Jayanti) and make it clear to people that since true patriots and efficient good people are not celebrated by Congress, BJP has taken it upon themselves to celebrate them because these patriots/ leaders were great Indians above all.

And thus BJP should balance it out! Otherwise just as we see that many uninformed people consider Papatma Gandhi as a saint in India, same way after 20-30 years many young men would learn to worship Patel as a saint if BJP goes all gung-ho after Patel and only Patel.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
I would definitely like to visit world's tallest statues specially when it's in my country and Indian counterpart of Statues of Liberty & Spring Buddha.
Most important, I won't even feel a pinch of guilt while my heart is admiring it and dreaming of setting it as the symbol of India's representation (and not that damned Taj Mahal) or Gandhi-Nehru's portraits because this person actually had a role in serving India.

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Country flag
I understand BJP's strategy and they should do more of it. For example they could celebrate Lal Bahadur Shatri Jayanti (Just like secular govt of Karnataka celebrates Tipu Jayanti) and make it clear to people that since true patriots and efficient good people are not celebrated by Congress, BJP has taken it upon themselves to celebrate them because these patriots/ leaders were great Indians above all.

And thus BJP should balance it out! Otherwise just as we see that many uninformed people consider Papatma Gandhi as a saint in India, same way after 20-30 years many young men would learn to worship Patel as a saint if BJP goes all gung-ho after Patel and only Patel.
Oh, balance is already on the making. Don't forget the Shivaji statue coming up at Mumbai.

Haldiram

Country flag
Patel was part of the establishment in Congress under the chhatrachhaya of Papatma Gandhi. He was as much part of the "abedan-nibedan" (humble submission of lawyerly application/begging to the british) gang that Congress was at that time.
Point taken.

Patel was a man of the Congress establishment, no doubt, but he was no sycophant and did not believe in appeasement.

Sourav Kumar

I'm sure someday they will build a infrastructure dedicated to Subash Chandra Bose if necessary.
Today I learnt new things about interrelationship of Gandhi-Nehru-Patel gang, Subhash Bose, Hindu Mahasabha (the ancestor of RSS/BJP) and Muslim League (and other Muslim parties). My eyes opened further. Someday I might as well utilize that knowledge. For today, let us enjoy the statue and tourist spot of Patel. As far as Netaji is concerned, he never cared for his own statue. So it is not "necessary" for him. If it is "necessary" for other people, sure they can build one!

indus

Living in Post Truth
Country flag
Today I learnt new things about interrelationship of Gandhi-Nehru-Patel gang, Subhash Bose, Hindu Mahasabha (the ancestor of RSS/BJP) and Muslim League (and other Muslim parties). My eyes opened further. Someday I might as well utilize that knowledge. For today, let us enjoy the statue and tourist spot of Patel. As far as Netaji is concerned, he never cared for his own statue. So it is not "necessary" for him. If it is "necessary" for other people, sure they can build one!
If its open source, share with us all too. We would also be like to be enlightened.

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz
Yes sir it's very true I agree with u.
Vallabahi may have had his fair share of disagreement with Nehru but the very same is true with Modi and Atal Ji as well
After 2002 Atal ji pressured Modi to resign.
Atal ji didn't have much confidence in Modi, but Modi prevail in the end and Atal ji had to acknowledge him.
What I want to say is human beings will always he different, your may not agree with everything I say and vice versa.
That is the beauty of human mind otherwise we all may just be Robots following same order.
At the end of the day they both were two faces of same coin.
I pray for the best for both these noble souls may they cast aside their difference and watch their India prosper form above.

I agree we aren't gonna demonize Gandhi or any thing but we sure are gonna glorify other freedom fighter who have equal contribution if not more.

Here is some of them whom I can say right off the bat.
Shunahsh Chandra Bose.
Bhagat Singh.
Lala Lajpat Rai
Chandrashekar Ajad
Rani Lakshmi Bai
Mangal Pandey.
Bal Ganagadhar Tilak
Lal Bahadur Shastri.
Shukadev Thapar.
Etc etc.

More than anything we need to reform our education system.
North was breached a long time ago since 1100 but South was mostly free till late 1500 and was a bastation of Hindi Kingdoms.
I hardly find any chapters regarding them in ICSE or CBSE.

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz
Please share with us, we can listen to everything u have to say.
I don't think anyone here likes Vallabhai Patel over Shubash Chandra Bose. Maharana Pratap over Shivaji. Chandragupta over Chola kings.
One was incomplete without the other.

Haldiram

Country flag
G.D Bakshi has said in a speech just last week that there is a proposal to install a statue of Bose in Delhi.

We have already named the airport at Andaman as Veer Savarkar airport; We're not completely spineless. :clap2:

Last edited:

Craigs

Country flag
Yeah really . There is no deny denying his importance . But he would not have been impressed with such grand monuments .
Do you do seance? Did you really summon Patel and ask him? If not then stop promoting your opinion as belonging to him.

sorcerer

Country flag
Statue of Unity surpasses daily average footfall at Statue of Liberty
Press Trust of India
2 minutes
In just over a year of its unveiling, the Statue of Unity has surpassed the footfall at the 133-year-old Statue of Liberty in the US, with an average of over 15,000 tourists visiting the monument in Gujarat daily.

“With 74 per cent increase over the daily average of the first year, that is, November 1, 2018 to October 31, 2019, daily average of 15,036 is now registered in the first month of this second year.

“This has further increased to 22,430 on weekend days. The Statue of Liberty of New York, United States, attracts around 10,000 visitors a day!” a statement by Sardar Sarovar Narmada Nigam Ltd said.

The Statue of Unity is a statue of Vallabhbhai Patel, the first home minister of the country. With a height of 182 metres, it is the world’s tallest statue.

It is located near the Sardar Sarovar Dam on the river Narmada in Kevadiya colony in Gujarat.

Designed by Indian sculptor Ram V Sutar, the project was first announced in 2010, and was finally unveiled on October 31 last year by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.

In the statement, Sardar Sarovar Narmada Nigam Ltd credited the rise in footfall at the monument to the addition of several new tourist attractions such as jungle safari, children’s nutrition park, cactus garden, butterfly garden, ekta nursery, dino trail, river rafting, boating, alongside multiple budget accommodation options.

“These additional tourist attractions have led to a sharp increase in the daily tourists’ footfall during November 2019,” it said.

It also added that a total of 30,90,723 tourists have visited Kevadia till November 30 this year, generating a total income of Rs 85.57 crore. PTI TRS SMN

Skyh3ck

Indians are hypocrite and self hating ... I see many Indians going Europe and USA for tourism but very few would like to go for domestic tourism in india.

People will pay lakhs of rupees to go and see Statute of Liberty but those same people will ignore Statute of Unity

Global Defence

New threads

Articles