Greg Chappell attacks Indian culture and cricket team

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
The title is misleading. It probably makes you feel Chappell has said something inflammatory or provocative. But this time he has spoken the truth.

ADELAIDE: In a vicious attack on Indian culture and Indian cricket team of which he was the coach, Greg Chappell has said that the side lacked leaders because parents, school teachers and coaches made all the decisions in the Indian system.

"The (Indian) culture is very different, it's not a team culture. They lack leaders in the team because they are not trained to be leaders. From an early age, their parents make all the decisions, their schoolteachers make their decisions, their cricket coaches make the decisions," Chappell said.

"The culture of India is such that, if you put your head above the parapet someone will shoot it. Knock your head off. So they learn to keep their head down and not take responsibility.

"The Poms (British) taught them really well to keep their head down. For if someone was deemed to be responsible, they'd get punished. So the Indians have learned to avoid responsibility. So before taking responsibility for any decisions, they prefer not to," Chappell was quoted as saying during a promotional event for his book 'Fierce Focus'.

Chappell said Indian captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni was an exception to that rule but even he seems to have lost to the system.

"Dhoni is one of the most impressive young men that I have ever worked with. When he came into that Indian team, you just knew that he was a leader in the making. He was definitely someone who could make decisions, and he didn't mind putting his head above the parapet, and didn't mind putting the bigger players in their place. I think he is the best thing to have happened to Indian cricket in recent times," he said.

Chappell, who was the coach of Indian team for two turbulent years from 2005 to 2007, reckoned that excessive cricket has now started taking a toll on Dhoni.

"But looking at him on this tour - I didn't meet or speak to him at all - but just watching the body language and just watching him on the field, it wasn't the MS Dhoni that I knew. I think Indian cricket has worn him down as well.

"Especially, captaining all three formats, and India plays about 50 per cent more cricket than Australia does. And Dhoni played four years, captaining three years while being wicketkeeper and their key batman - one of the best chasers of a target that I've ever seen," he said.

The former Australian captain also said that the Indians appeared disinterested in Test cricket during the just-concluded disastrous tour Down Under.

"It was obvious from the start of the tour that the Indians weren't really interested in Test cricket," Chappell said.

"After the Australians showed that they were going to be a formidable foe, I was very disappointed with the Indians. And having worked with many of them and having been in the dressing room with them, Test cricket was too hard for most of them. They can only make a lot of money playing 20-over cricket. Fifty-over cricket they can sort of put up with.

"Test cricket for a lot of, not only India, a lot of subcontinent teams, I think it's pretty tough. And the challenge for Test cricket is, without the sort of grounding that we (Australians) had as kids, Test cricket is too hard. It's very demanding mentally, physically and emotionally," he added.

Chappell also felt that Virender Sehwag's captaincy ambition hurt the team.

"Sehwag thought he should be captain after (Anil) Kumble, so there is a bit of a collision there," he said.

"I think Dhoni is getting to a point where Test cricket is getting too hard for him, and the undercurrent around the dressing room cannot help," Chappell concluded.

He was also of the view that Test cricket needed a strong India.

"I think Australia and England will always look at Test cricket and try and preserve it. South Africa to a lesser degree. Up until this summer I thought India as well. We probably had four major Test-playing countries, and the others would play Test cricket spasmodically," Chappell concluded.

The Times of India on Mobile

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
I admit there is an element of truth to what he says. But I think the generation that is currently growing up will be much better. Chappell has dealt with mainly the 90s generation.

Tolaha

"I think Australia and England will always look at Test cricket and try and preserve it. South Africa to a lesser degree. Up until this summer I thought India as well. We probably had four major Test-playing countries, and the others would play Test cricket spasmodically," Chappell concluded.

ICC rankings for Tests

Team Rating Rank

England --- 118 --- 1
South Africa --- 117 --- 2
India --- 111 --- 3
Australia --- 111 --- 4

My reply to Greg: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:

pmaitra

"The (Indian) culture is very different, it's not a team culture. They lack leaders in the team because they are not trained to be leaders. From an early age, their parents make all the decisions, their schoolteachers make their decisions, their cricket coaches make the decisions," Chappell said.

"The culture of India is such that, if you put your head above the parapet someone will shoot it. Knock your head off. So they learn to keep their head down and not take responsibility.

"The Poms (British) taught them really well to keep their head down. For if someone was deemed to be responsible, they'd get punished. So the Indians have learned to avoid responsibility. So before taking responsibility for any decisions, they prefer not to," Chappell was quoted as saying during a promotional event for his book 'Fierce Focus'.
Cannot disagree with anything he has said so far.

Chappell said Indian captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni was an exception to that rule but even he seems to have lost to the system.
Sure, as long as Dhoni does not challenge Gregg, he will be fine.

Chappell is a man with a dual personality. He would surely like people to raise their heads but if that head is raised against him, he will be the forst one to knock it out. The Ganguly-Chappell spat is a fine example.

Tolaha

Going by the Poms, Aussies are criminals.

Tolaha

Test cricket too hard for Indians... can only make money in 20-20: Greg - Indian Express

Excerpts:

He singled out Virender Sehwag for special mention, calling him a "derelict" who was breaking up the team in his desire to be captain.

During a freewheeling chat with co-author Malcolm Knox, Chappell said he had warned Indian cricket administrators of an oncoming downfall back in 2007 while he was still coach. However, he said, the BCCI believed it was more important to retain the highest run-getter in Test cricket (Sachin Tendulkar) than being the best team in the world.

Talking about the recent India tour of Australia, he said: "It was obvious from the start that the Indians weren't really interested in Test cricket. But having worked with many of them and having been in their dressing room, I knew that Test cricket was too hard for most of them... They can only make a lot of money playing 20-over cricket. Fifty-over cricket they can sort of put up with. Test cricket is pretty tough for them. Without the kind of grounding that we (Australians) had as kids, Test cricket is too hard for them."

The former Aussie captain was then asked by Knox if Zaheer Khan's injuries and Sehwag's fitness and over-all attitude were a concern even during his coaching days. "Don't forget to throw in attitude of Zaheer as well," Chappell replied.

According to Chappell, while the administrators wanted him to discipline the players, "the difficulty for me as the coach was that Sehwag just sat there and said, 'Greg, they're not going to drop me. So why would I work harder than I'm working now?'."

The only player for whom Chappell had kind words was M S Dhoni. Asked if any Indian captain would declare the innings when batting on 329 not out like Michael Clarke in Sydney earlier this year, Chappell claimed that the Indian skipper would. "Dhoni is one of the most impressive young men that I have ever worked with. Very confident, very un-Indian in that regard."

However, he added, the rift between Dhoni and Sehwag was having a toll on the captain. "The system has worn Dhoni down too. Just looking at him on this tour, it wasn't the M S Dhoni I knew... The undercurrent around the dressing room cannot be of help," said Chappell.

With the exception of Rahul Dravid and Anil Kumble, he went on to add, for most of the Indian players, the major concern was staying in the team. "Because the financial implications of being an Indian cricketer were considerable."

The problem, according to Chappell, wasn't just in the corridors of Indian cricket, but with Indian culture. "The culture is very different, it's not a team culture. They lack leaders in the team because they are not trained to be leaders. From an early age, their parents make all the decisions, then their school teachers, then their cricket coaches."

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Chappel is an idiot as it is!

mayfair

Ignore the attention seeking troll...he has been a failure as coach everywhere and must find something to justify his shortcomings or distract from them..

Global Defence

New threads

Articles