Greatest Indian of the 20th Century

Choose one of your favourite Indian of last Century

• Total voters

Sabir

DFI TEAM
We have to remember no man is 100 % perfect when viewed by another person. Netaji, Patel , Neheru all were great leaders but all of them were great fans of Mahatma Gandhi (they are the persons who knew Gandhi more than anyone else)...yes Netaji too...even after so many disputes on ideoloy. And what Gandhi said, " Eye for an eye..will make whole world blind'......Perhaps we need 100 years more to fully realise that....

BunBunCake

Sorry if I may have disrupted the flow of this thread, but I vote for Rajagopalachari (not an option) !
Great man. Oppressed by Gandhi, and that's why Nehru became Prime Minster.

He's much smarter than Nehru. And he deserved that post. Too bad, even the great Gandhi isn't perfect.

I see many voted for Subhash Chandra Bose.
Violent man he is ;). I'm not a fan.

NSG_Blackcats

Member of The Month OCTOBER 2009
I have voted for Netaji. But I feel there are thousands of Indians who have contributed in various fields. So when compiling any list we must differentiate two things. (1). Indians who have contributed for our independence (2). Indians who have contribution after independence.

So General Sam Manekshaw and Homi jahangir bhabha must be in the second list.

threadbrowser

Voted for Manekshaw.
Only general to stand up to Indira and deliver us our sole clear cut strategic victory over Pakistan.
Not really a fan of Netaji, sure his heart was in the right place

Mod Edit : You had already used derogative word against Netaji, take this as final warning.

truthfull

see no one is perfect and no body knows future netaji was doing all this for independence of the india ,he thought that japan will win , so sought help,what ever was happening in nanking ,he was unaware,.tell me what would you say about nehrus relationship with stalin who was the greatest mass murdere of last century

truthfull

both bhagat singh and netaji were excellent patriots ,but i compild the list of most popular leaders at national level.

Sikh_warrior

Professional
Its Shaheed Sardar Bhagat Singh for me.

gave his life at 23, kissed death and then gave it a hug before giving up his life for India.

Jai Hind

as per the list in the poll, its Sam Bahadur for me and not a petty politician!

Last edited:

AJSINGH

i think we can not single out any individual
all we can do them is recognise their effort for their own country
M.K gandhi and Nehru family have been given enough publicity,( Nehru birthday is called childern day and when M.K Gandhi death anneversary is called martayr's day , i ask that is the contribution of Bhagat Singh or his associates and Netaji any less , when West Bengal was asking to declare Netaji brith anneversary as patriots day , the UPA govt quickly denied the request )
so what we all can do here is spread ( in our own little way ) the contribution of various freedom fighters apart from Gandhi ,nehru and all the Congress back freedom fighters

and Sam Manekshaw - no one like him in modern India

JAISWAL

in this list of greats all r emtitle to b great indian but except pt. nehru.
i voted for force which united india- sardar patel

truthfull

i have put nehru in this list because there are some secuklarists who wana say that nehru was was the greatest indian ,like messiah for indian democracy.

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
^^so you mean to say that your list is motivated list...Its rather made to satisfy section of some crowd rather than purely on merit of the leaders involved????

truthfull

plz ajtr your are very star member of forum you tell me first five greatets indians i means yours list.

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
i've already mentioned my list of greatest indians right in this thread plz refer previous pages...

AJSINGH

i like Netaji Bose is wining the polls that too by huge margin , also nehru did not get any vote

Sabir

DFI TEAM
To know about current generation heroes (many of them are unknown to us) please refer to the thread ' real heroes' started by nsg_blackcat.

Param

My list of greatest Indians of the 20th century_

Mahatma gandhi
Sardar vallabh bhai patel
Jawahar lal nehru
Netaji subhash chandra bose
Homi jahangir bhabha
General Sam Manekshaw

Now for those who might be wondering why put Nehru at third place _ Being a very strong ruler & leading your country to military victories are not the only criteria for greatness. Nehru's role in building a self-reliant Indian economy cannot be underestimated. Nehru's emphasis was on industrialisation, particularly of industries manufacturing heavy machinery, which was needed to help build India's steel, power, fertiliser and chemical industries. These proved critical to the future development of India. They were industries that were feeders to other industries.

India's diversity is not just religious, there are other undeniable facts like region, language & caste. Regardless of the fault lines, Nehru remains one of the most important architects of free India.India in her early years needed a tolerant, liberal leader who was respected all over the country. Nehru safegaurded India's diversity and did not impose anything like the Pak Punjabis across the border. Although Patel was powerful in the Congress Party and enjoyed far more of the respect and support of party bureaucrats than Nehru did, he could not match Nehru's popularity with the masses.

SHASH2K2

I would love to see Indira Gandhi instead of his father . Subhas chandra bose is undisputed greatest Indian of century.2nd would be swami Vivekanand and 3rd will be Mahatma Gandhi .

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
While both MK Gandhi and SC Bose are great Indians, yet, if one takes into account the effect such an Indian has had on humanity and its way of thinking, it is MK Gandhi who leads.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles