great news-Bhim a self-propelled howitzer back on track after 9 years

sam29

Country flag
Indian Army will breathe a sigh of relief, after 9 years India has finally communicated to South African state owned Denel aerospace and defence technology conglomerate that they are no longer under Blacklist and can again participate in Indian tenders .

India Back in 2005 had imposed Ban on Denel after allegation of corruption emerged on sale of NTW 20 anti-materiel rifles to India. Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) after 8 years of Investigation failed to prove corruption charges against the South African state-owned aerospace and defence technology conglomerate.

Last year in September, CBI closed the case against Denel Company and claimed it had failed to uncover any "credible evidence" of corruption in the procurement. Senior CBI officials in 2012 had also visited south africa to speak with Individuals involved in the deal, but could not find sufficient evidence into alleged wrongdoing by Denel .

Denel has supplied 400 NTW 20/14.5 anti-materiel rifles and Indian army under the original deal was to procure 300 more anti-materiel rifles directly from Denel and 300 more was supposed to be locally produced . Due Ban on Denel Indian army was not able to procure spares and required 14.5×114 mm and 20x82mm ammunitions for the the anti-materiel rifles.

Bhim a self-propelled howitzer consists of the Denel T6 turret, mounted on Arjun MBT chassis was developed and tested successfully and was also cleared for production, but after Ban on Denel Bhim project was put on back burner . DRDO in 2007 again send Request for proposal (RFP) but only Samsung Techwin responded to the proposal with their K-9 gun, Project was left with single vendor proposal, hence another RPF was re-issued after considerable break to make sure that RPF attracts more proposal .

Indian army had requirement of 400 mounted 155-mm /52 howitzer, out of which 200 could be based on Arjun chassis and another 200 to be mounted on modified TATRA trucks.

Last edited:

LastProphet

Re: great news-Bhim a self-propelled howitzer back on track after 9 ye

Ya they should be... But I am not so conversant with options here...I think mods can do it...!!!

N ya it's good news....let's hope we get BHIM... I really like this beast....!!!!

EXPERT

Re: great news-Bhim a self-propelled howitzer back on track after 9 ye

I don't think the contract will again get resumed, there may be some upgradations in contract as our policies are changed from last 2005.
Now Danel has to partner with an Indian firm and do the remaining work on Bhim.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles