Govt to stop buying INSAS rifles from Ordnance Factory Tiruchirappalli

mikhail

Country flag
Re: Govt to stop buying INSAS rifles from Ordnance Factory Tiruchirapp

CISF has SLR, AK 47, INSAS and MP-5 when they are deployed for Delhi Metro security.

Only Elite Cobra Force using X-95 & TAR-21, Rest are using AKM & SLR / FN-FAL ..

This TAR may replace both SLR AKM Even INSAS as it share the best of all these Rifles ..
sir do you know when this plan to introduce TAR in the CAPF is going to materialise?i mean is it going to happen in early 2013 or will they have to wait for another couple of years for TAR?thanks in advance.

Spindrift

The question is not about how good or bad the INSAS is. this has more to do with the overall performance of IOF and the quality of the products churned out by them...
they can not even make a decent pistol...

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

There is no mention about it on open public source..

If found will post here..

sir do you know when this plan to introduce TAR in the CAPF is going to materialise?i mean is it going to happen in early 2013 or will they have to wait for another couple of years for TAR?thanks in advance.
Hmm..

May be a commando..

BSF Soldier with a X-95

:hmm:

Killswitch

Country flag

FN FAL, INSAS, AK's, TAVORS, MP5's, MP7's, sterling smgs, even Lee enfields....

The salad bowl of small arms among the armed police, paras, soldiers and commandos is INSANE.

A properly made smg, carbine, rifle, LMG, and sniper rifle in 6.8mm would solve 90% of small arms problems. Standardized training, ammo, parts, etc.

India's planners are either non existent or ON CRACK.

pmaitra

FN FAL, INSAS, AK's, TAVORS, MP5's, MP7's, sterling smgs, even Lee enfields....

The salad bowl of small arms among the armed police, paras, soldiers and commandos is INSANE.

A properly made smg, carbine, rifle, LMG, and sniper rifle in 6.8mm would solve 90% of small arms problems. Standardized training, ammo, parts, etc.

India's planners are either non existent or ON CRACK.
I wouldn't have thought that was likely a year ago. Today, I do.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
I wouldn't have thought that was likely a year ago. Today, I do.
Problem is IAS mind set, they think they know all and they are most smartest India has produce. Second is the fact that one dont know what other is doing, last but not least is corruption, many of them wants to make quick money. End result we are screwed big time.
Mara Bharat Mahaan.

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
Sir i have not fallen for looks but rifles like the tavor , hk416, g36 look cool and they do their job well too
So does the Akms,Pkm,Ak74 too.All these western and Eastern weapons has their own pros and cons and they couldn't
be replaced by each other.

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
Btw reading articles that no one is interested by TAR is disappointing.
Instead of rechambering a massive FNFAL with M43 rounds OFB could have made improvements over VZ58s or could have gone over further refinement on OFB 7.62 rifle.

cobra commando

Tharki regiment
Country flag

There is no mention about it on open public source..

If found will post here..

Hmm..

May be a commando..
Yep, correct Boss, he's from the elite 'Creek Crocodile Commando' unit of the BSF.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

It may not be massive, I wonder it may be same size of an Insas..

Instead of rechambering a massive FNFAL with M43 rounds OFB could have made improvements over VZ58s or could have gone over further refinement on OFB 7.62 rifle.

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
It may not be massive, I wonder it may be same size of an Insas..
I just find it to be more lengthier than insas from the pic though.After all an empty slr weights 4.4kg if am correct that's why I assumes that scaled down version to fire 7.62X39 with a long barrel enough to fire at an effective range of 400 mts will any way weight upto 4 kgs with out ammunition. A fully loaded insas too weights 3.9kg
which is also bulky in present day standards . But a Vz58 weights only 3.4kgs fully loaded and fires without a problem.That's why I said Drdo could have absorbed something from Vz while designing the TAR or in the Finsas.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

It had to be the GSQR which based on FAL design coz most paramilitary and police use SLR / FN FAL ..

It would be better for them to understand the system quickly..

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
It had to be the GSQR which based on FAL design coz most paramilitary and police use SLR / FN FAL ..

It would be better for them to understand the system quickly..
I don't think its that much hard for a common soldier who is educated atleast till plus 2 to understand the system of a new small arm quickly unless it is AN92.If that would have been a matter of concern govt would not had more complex weapons like X95 or TAR21 or berettas.
Any way coming to the topic why couldn't the police forces switched to INSAS or SLRs or OFB Ak clones instead
Of the existing .303s ,so that the OFB will get a boost up.
Also why OFB is not considering selling out INSAS,TAR,slr and Ak clones in international civilian gun market as the arsenal,Norinco and ishmaz all others from east Europe had done?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

Have ever striped and re-assemble an AR ? unless you do so you can never know how it is..

3o3 is used vastly coz in Police force they clean there arms only when new commander arrives or there is firing, 3o3 is easy to clean after years in dust and it fires just fine..

INSAS is sold to Nepal & Bhutan and may be some are to Oman Police force other than that i dont know..

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag

Have ever striped and re-assemble an AR ? unless you do so you can never know how it is..

3o3 is used vastly coz in Police force they clean there arms only when new commander arrives or there is firing, 3o3 is easy to clean after years in dust and it fires just fine..

Man i didn't said anyhing like try any alien stufff while making a new gun.Juust said they could have gone for a model based on Vz58 which is better compared to FAl,plus that weapon is not an object from mars to our forces.Paras are using it .After all there is a first time for everything.
Coming to the reason behind keeping .303s ,we had seen the good effecs of not cleaning and practicing of small arms by the police perrsonel during mumbai attacks.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

VZ-58 is a good rifle but few knows about it..

Besides the arms lobby is mostly in control..

mikhail

Country flag

Man i didn't said anyhing like try any alien stufff while making a new gun.Juust said they could have gone for a model based on Vz58 which is better compared to FAl,plus that weapon is not an object from mars to our forces.Paras are using it .After all there is a first time for everything.
Coming to the reason behind keeping .303s ,we had seen the good effecs of not cleaning and practicing of small arms by the police perrsonel during mumbai attacks.
mate i have fired live .303 rounds from lee enfield rifle during my N.C.C. training and from what i have understood is that though they are bulky and over weight they are highly accurate(i managed to hit the target a few times but i couldn't do so with a .22 bore rifle) and the .303 rounds are highly lethal.moreover as the gun laws in India are quite stringent so the lee enfield or the Ishapore rifle is more than enough for most of our police forces.just take the example of W.B.here in kolkata most of the civil police and a signifinant no. of armed policemen are armed with those rifles and they really don't ahve any problem with that other than the fact that its a bolt action rifle and it takes a bit longer to reload and fire comparing with the SLR(one of my friends who is a police officer told me that).but in case of those states which are experiencing violent insurgencies like J&K,Assam,Chattisgarh,Jharkhand,Manipur etc the police forces must be armed with an automatic AR instead of those Ishapore rifles(and i think most of them are indeed armed with either automatic ARs like AKs or INSAS or semi-automatc SLR).so i don't see any real problem regarding the usage of Ishapore rifle by the civil police at least:rolleyes:

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag

mate i have fired live .303 rounds from lee enfield rifle during my N.C.C. training and from what i have understood is that though they are bulky and over weight they are highly accurate(i managed to hit the target a few times but i couldn't do so with a .22 bore rifle) and the .303 rounds are highly lethal.moreover as the gun laws in India are quite stringent so the lee enfield or the Ishapore rifle is more than enough for most of our police forces.just take the example of W.B.here in kolkata most of the civil police and a signifinant no. of armed policemen are armed with those rifles and they really don't ahve any problem with that other than the fact that its a bolt action rifle and it takes a bit longer to reload and fire comparing with the SLR(one of my friends who is a police officer told me that).but in case of those states which are experiencing violent insurgencies like J&K,Assam,Chattisgarh,Jharkhand,Manipur etc the police forces must be armed with an automatic AR instead of those Ishapore rifles(and i think most of them are indeed armed with either automatic ARs like AKs or INSAS or semi-automatc SLR).so i don't see any real problem regarding the usage of Ishapore rifle by the civil police at least:rolleyes:
dude i knew that those 90% of police persons will not use a weapon except in ranges or in the eve of death of any so called dignitory:laugh:
what i was telling about to switch 303s with the insas ,ak or SLR was not in favor of the ordinary policemen,but for the OFB.:p

pmaitra

@ALBY, you look good holding that Bren Clone. Good avatar. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles