Govt to stop buying INSAS rifles from Ordnance Factory Tiruchirappalli

JBH22

Re: Govt to stop buying INSAS rifles from Ordnance Factory Tiruchirapp

I have a different take.

Govt. should encourage private companies to set up factories in India, and the OFB factories should compete with these private factories. I am totally against selling OFB factories, because, we need to expose them to competition and give them the opportunity to improve. Even if they can't, then we can think of selling them off.
By not privatising them you are adding more burden and even though the MoD pays them hard bucks it cannot expect client-seller relationship add to that inherent inefficiencies in PSU.

Also why the hell are they trying to produce so called "local" guns which appear to be coming straight from 1970s better get transfer of tech like for AK103 and produce the damn thing at lower cost.

Problem is that also they cannot do INSAS price is high so i would prefer we take the western model defence industry privatise only non-performing dinosaurs.

pmaitra

By not privatising them you are adding more burden and even though the MoD pays them hard bucks it cannot expect client-seller relationship add to that inherent inefficiencies in PSU.

Also why the hell are they trying to produce so called "local" guns which appear to be coming straight from 1970s better get transfer of tech like for AK103 and produce the damn thing at lower cost.

Problem is that also they cannot do INSAS price is high so i would prefer we take the western model defence industry privatise only non-performing dinosaurs.
Please explain more about these three things you mentioned:
  • What is different from 1970's rifles and today's rifles? Where does INSAS fit in?
  • Why is INSAS significantly more expensive?
  • Do you think the Rifle Factories are not performing? AFAIK, they churned out INSAS rifles at record speed, working day and night, during Kargil War.

Country flag

Why does it take so long to refuse a weapon? Decades go by for development only to be refused a
Big waste of time,money and manpower killing projects faster would be a good move that the government
Can make without costing anything.

Last edited:

acetophenol

Country flag
  • What is different from 1970's rifles and today's rifles? Where does INSAS fit in?
  • Do you think the Rifle Factories are not performing? AFAIK, they churned out INSAS rifles at record speed, working day and night, during Kargil War.
Majority finds peace in talking bad about Indian organisations like OFB,DRDO,HAL etc. They simply don't care for the wide spectrum of succesful products they have made.
INSAS Rifle is reliable and accurate.

JBH22

INSAS though is a good rifle its not something that armed forces will carry on in the next decade.
My point is that defence production excluding Strategic Missiles should be privatise or at worst partly privatise.:cool2:

Btw reading articles that no one is interested by TAR is disappointing.

p2prada

For the kind of specs IA is asking I doubt even foreign manufacturers will be able to deliver.

Anyway purchase from outside includes licensed manufacturing of most of the weapons in India.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag

well F-INSAS rifle is ready, it is awaiting trial, so no point in going for foreign rifle at this stage.
Guys please understand that India has most demanding equipment as it has all the extrime enviroments. INSAS so far as per the mandate of IA has performed well, it does have scope for upgrade and deep upgrade for military, para military and for SWAT. It will take almost 5-10 years for adopting F-INSAS accross Indian army.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

Talk to me about that, I am all listening..

I'm sure you are aware that the INSAS rifle has suffered from many design and quality problems. It is probably not good enough to get the job done now.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

TAR 7.62MM is going for Paramilitary :

======================
======================

Indian Army going to use New Rifle and that may manufacture in HMT..

drkrn

"Nearly 70% of our staff are involved in small rifle manufacturing. Rest of us are engaged in other arms like under barrel grenade launchers (UBGL). By stopping the manufacture of small rifles, our staff could suffer financial loss as they will not get overtime duty and other benefits," he added.

Ordnance factory staff fear job insecurity - Times Of India

the ultimate a*****es :facepalm:.
a bunch of people with this mentality is enough to make an organization useless
the government should disinvest all the defense establishments as soon as possible

drkrn

I have a different take.

Govt. should encourage private companies to set up factories in India, and the OFB factories should compete with these private factories. I am totally against selling OFB factories, because, we need to expose them to competition and give them the opportunity to improve. Even if they can't, then we can think of selling them off.
do you think our govt sectors will compete with private players:rofl:
quite handful.even of navaratna bsnl is suffering losses.they are only concerned for their salaries never about organisation

drkrn

Majority finds peace in talking bad about Indian organisations like OFB,DRDO,HAL etc. They simply don't care for the wide spectrum of succesful products they have made.
INSAS Rifle is reliable and accurate.
insas is not at all reliable.i once spoke with an ex army havaldar (if i remember it correct).
he said one bullet from ak-47 is better than 6-7 bullets from insas.
army is not happy with insas

cobra commando

Tharki regiment
Country flag

Ahhhh.. we just Love !!! Phoren Maal,just can't get enough of them..can we :tsk:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

Let me en-light you, Havaldar didn't know the purpose of both rounds, And used early version of INSAS..

7.62m43 AK rounds have lesser range but more stopping power, Where as 5.56mm are high velocity bullets in longer ranges have better penetration capability..

insas is not at all reliable.i once spoke with an ex army havaldar (if i remember it correct).
he said one bullet from ak-47 is better than 6-7 bullets from insas.
army is not happy with insas

JBH22

well F-INSAS rifle is ready, it is awaiting trial, so no point in going for foreign rifle at this stage.
Guys please understand that India has most demanding equipment as it has all the extrime enviroments. INSAS so far as per the mandate of IA has performed well, it does have scope for upgrade and deep upgrade for military, para military and for SWAT. It will take almost 5-10 years for adopting F-INSAS accross Indian army.
Don't forget to add the confusion part in military procurement.

Coming back on topic while army will not procure the TAR and paramilitary going on for TAR-21 or for less expensive AK, then what's the purpose of OFB in designing this rifle.

To be fair to OFB when the first pic of this rifle was out i though that atleast we had something that could be indigenous and gain wide acceptance but alas

mikhail

Country flag

Don't forget to add the confusion part in military procurement.

Coming back on topic while army will not procure the TAR and paramilitary going on for TAR-21 or for less expensive AK, then what's the purpose of OFB in designing this rifle.

To be fair to OFB when the first pic of this rifle was out i though that atleast we had something that could be indigenous and gain wide acceptance but alas
but according to Kunal sir those TARs will be going to the Paramilitary forces as there is a huge demand for assault rifles in the paramilitary and in the police forces.so i think it's actually a good idea to arm our CRPF and state police forces with TAR and INSAS as they will have better weapons to fight against the extremists and maoists and IA will have its multi calibre next generation Assault Rifle!

JBH22

but according to Kunal sir those TARs will be going to the Paramilitary forces as there is a huge demand for assault rifles in the paramilitary and in the police forces.so i think it's actually a good idea to arm our CRPF and state police forces with TAR and INSAS as they will have better weapons to fight against the extremists and maoists and IA will have its multi calibre next generation Assault Rifle!
Paramilitary forces are going to Israeli TAR-21 CRPF has been going for that.
I don't know abt BSF or CISF but i would like that they choose TAR.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

Only Elite Cobra Force using X-95 & TAR-21, Rest are using AKM & SLR / FN-FAL ..

This TAR may replace both SLR AKM Even INSAS as it share the best of all these Rifles ..

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag

CISF has SLR, AK 47, INSAS and MP-5 when they are deployed for Delhi Metro security.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles