Govt names Dalbir Singh Suhag as next army chief

Neil

Country flag
The Defence Ministry on Monday decided to go ahead with the process of appointing the next Army Chief, recommending the name of Vice Chief of Army Staff Lt Gen Dalbir Singh Suhag for the top post.

The Defence Ministry sent its recommendation to the Appointments Committee of Cabinet (ACC) shortly after receiving the go—ahead from the Election Commission, to which the matter had been referred in view of the Model Code of Conduct, highly placed sources told PTI.

The sources said the recommendation had only the name of 59-year-old Lt Gen Suhag, who is the senior-most among the Lt Generals.

It is now for the ACC, headed by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, to take a call on the recommendation.

Army Chief Gen Bikram Singh will retire on July 31 and as per the tradition, the government announces the name of services chiefs two months before the tenure of the incumbent comes to an end.

The appointment of the next Army Chief had got mired in a controversy as the BJP is strictly opposing it, questioning the "hurry" and insisting that the matter be left to the next government as there is still time left.

Earlier in the day, the EC sent a communication to the Defence Ministry giving the go—ahead.

The EC cited its March 27 order which makes it clear that appointments, promotions, tenders and procurements of defence forces are not covered under the Model Code of Conduct in the ongoing elections as well as any other election in the future, sources said.

The EC, responding to a reference made by the Defence Ministry, said if the government wants, it can proceed with the process to appoint the next Chief of Army Staff, the sources added.

Govt names Dalbir Singh Suhag as next army chief - The Hindu

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

i just hope politics is kept the hell out of army.

Congratulations to the new COAS- god give u strength and wisdom to take care of 1.2 Million women/men.

Last edited:

Glint

Country flag
I kinda like Gen Bikram Singh too much to take this news as a good one.
But again, its just my opinion

Blackwater

need to see remarks from @Ray sir??

sir please shed some light

Last edited by a moderator:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
need to see remarks from @Ray sir??

sir please shed some light
The manner in which the military is getting politicised scares me.

The politicians should leave the military to decide its own fate and policies that they have no clue about.

And it is time to get better material in the leadership class than what is intake catering for.

Kaalapani

Tihar Jail
Banned

The politicians should leave the military to decide its own fate and policies that they have no clue about.

And it is time to get better material in the leadership class than what is intake catering for.
kejriwal is even attacking army. it is very dangerous.

abhi_the _gr8_maratha

Country flag

sir ,in democracy people elected members are superior to the one who are elected by merit
that's why army, ias, ips etc are inferior to member of parliament

Kaalapani

Tihar Jail
Banned
Kejriwal, Pooshan, and others are mere fools.

They have no clue about the military.
They are not fools but commies.In communist system Party processes army and Home departments.

People are unable to grasp this.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
@Ray sir I hope the Singh vs Singh clash in the Army ranks have been sorted ?

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
sir ,in democracy people elected members are superior to the one who are elected by merit
that's why army, ias, ips etc are inferior to member of parliament
The Military, IAS, IPS are not inferior. They are subordinate to the Govt.

Unless we change our criteria as to who can be the elected, we will continue to be saddled with cretins who have no clue of governance or what is their duty as leading lights of the citizenry.

Blackwater

Sir why congress is in such a hurry to announce suhag? Can next govt cancel suhag appointment ?

@Ray sir

Kaalapani

Tihar Jail
Banned
Sir why congress is in such a hurry to announce suhag? Can next govt cancel suhag appointment ?

@Ray sir
no they cant but if General V.K Singh becomes Defence minister he is screwed.

Free Karma

In the papers I read that the current term ends in July, was it really urgent to appoint someone? They couldve left it to the new govt...why the rush?

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
i just hope politics is kept the hell out of army.

Congratulations to the new COAS- god give u strength and wisdom to take care of 1.2 Million women/men.
Politics seeped into the army long long back, nothing new. Go back to what general VK Singh said the day he took over the command as the Army chief, his very words were that the Army chaps keep off the government offices where they are busy having their ACRs worked out by pampering the bureaucracy and the politicians. There comes a time when the Delhi cantonment transfer is the most sort after, because you develop much needed political and bureaucratic networking to help further your career. Its too messed up, too much political interference, General Suhag is just an extension of the same system, just as General Bikram Singh is.

Immanuel

Country flag
Heard many good things about Gen. Suhag, true tactician, a soldier's soldier, a hardened elite infantry man, understands SF and the stuff that makes good SF operators. I for one am glad he is COAS, he understands the threats we face better than many. I hope V.K Singh and gen Suhag can squash their beef.

Compersion

Country flag
I would be a little shock if Manmohan Singh allowed that to happen. If Suhag is appointed it will be by the next administration.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Army Chief General VK Singh slaps show cause notice on Lt General Dalbir Singh Suhag

Barely a week before his retirement, Army Chief General V.K. Singh has sent a show cause notice to Lt General Dalbir Singh Suhag, who is tipped to be the next chief of Army staff in 2014 after Lt Gen Bikram Singh retires.

However, a show cause notice from the Army chief to Lt Gen Suhag could flip things around again with the latter, currently the General Officer Commanding (GOC) 3 Corps, in the dock for alleged abdication of responsibility.

The move is seen as unprecedented and could alter the line of succession in the top rung. The show cause notice accuses Lt Gen Suhag of unprofessional and lackadaisical conduct in the handling of an intelligence operation. The Army chief has given Lt Gen Suhag a week to respond to the notice.

In case a censure is passed against Lt Gen Suhag, it could block his elevation to the post of Army commander. That might trigger a crisis of sorts in the Army.

The Army chief has also taken action against the commanding officer and initiated proceedings against the brigadier general staff of the corps for not showing urgency in dealing with violation of procedures during anti-insurgency operation.

The charges of dereliction of duty against the corps commander include not taking adequate action against the accused personnel of the intelligence unit in two earlier complaints.

Defence experts said that the Army chief was being vindictive by his action, especially because he gave just a week to the officer under question to reply to the notice.

Lt Gen (retired) Raj Kadyan said, "I don't think it is a very well thought out action. It is unfair that the reply period for the show cause notice is only seven days. Generally, the reply period is 30 days. So this raises the suspicion that the officer has been targeted for unreasonable reasons."

Another expert Major General (retired) Ashok Mehta said, "The Army chief is trying to be vindictive in his last five days in office. This is a case of straight forward interference into the chain of commands of the eastern army commander. The Army chief is trying to ensure that the core commander does not become an Army commander."

Read more at: Army Chief General VK Singh slaps show cause notice on Lt General Dalbir Singh Suhag : North, News - India Today
======================================

Its the other way around ..

Heard many good things about Gen. Suhag, true tactician, a soldier's soldier, a hardened elite infantry man, understands SF and the stuff that makes good SF operators. I for one am glad he is COAS, he understands the threats we face better than many. I hope V.K Singh and gen Suhag can squash their beef.

rohit b3

Country flag
Where does Kejriwal and AAP come into all of this?

If they successfully manage to do what they are trying to do, i.e clean the roots off corruption, all aspects of life will get easier. Including the Military. ...Lesser delays in indignous projects, more funds to the military(as they wont be eaten up), No kickbacks on foreign deals,etc.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles