Govt launches free anti-virus software for PCs, mobile phones

Indibomber

well depends if MSE is able to scale up well. Maybe it doesnt, thats why Trend Micro on cloud.
I hope so but they acquired this product in 2005 and it had been in works for 12 years. Even HAL is doing a better job on Tejas than MS on this product.

The Last Stand

Country flag
Are you sure you want to use ANY AV at all? in this era of open app architectures where the user himself grants permission to apps, how can an antivirus save us? The flashlight app, for example, seeks permission to read, write, modify our SMSes. Not many people know that. There are many apps which sneak in a lot of permissions while we accept it blindly. No anti virus will be able to detect such breaches because we ourselves gave permission to it. It is not a 'virus' per se.

This whole idea of virus versus anti-virus is BS. Just use a linux/unix system and you will be fine. If it is not feasible, then simply buy a portable laptop for financial transactions and keep the desktop for all other non sensitive purposes and format it every 3 months.
App permissions are for phones. Here we're talking about PC.

Is it financially okay for most people to have two separate systems? Most would get a single laptop and be done with it.

Also, yes, one could use Linux/Unix, but that would take out a lot of commercial applications we may need (some simply do not have open source alternatives that are as good, or anywhere close) and take away the option of 90% of games made today.

Sure, I could download Linux, search and find open source alternatives for everything I can, and make do with inferior stuff if I sorely need something professional, and format every 3 months, keep away from gaming.

And would I find the computer enjoyable to use, or indeed, very usable?

pringles

App permissions are for phones. Here we're talking about PC.

Is it financially okay for most people to have two separate systems? Most would get a single laptop and be done with it.

Also, yes, one could use Linux/Unix, but that would take out a lot of commercial applications we may need (some simply do not have open source alternatives that are as good, or anywhere close) and take away the option of 90% of games made today.

Sure, I could download Linux, search and find open source alternatives for everything I can, and make do with inferior stuff if I sorely need something professional, and format every 3 months, keep away from gaming.

And would I find the computer enjoyable to use, or indeed, very usable?
Humanity has invented such a thing called VMWare. It allows the running of Windows applications inside a virtual environment on a Linux OS.

AnantS

Country flag
I hope so but they acquired this product in 2005 and it had been in works for 12 years. Even HAL is doing a better job on Tejas than MS on this product.
MSE has been good for pc. I have tried diffrent flavors of free viruses in past avg, norton etc. MSE has been best.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles