Government unhappy with US response to troubles of Indian diplomats

JAYRAM

2 STRIKE CORPS
TNN | Jun 23, 201

NEW DELHI: Reacting to the forced labour suit brought against Indian consul general in New York Prabhu Dayal, the government here protested against what it called the targeting of the country's diplomats in the US, subtly cautioning that it could sour public opinion and have repercussions for ties.

Trashing as "motivated and baseless" the charge that Dayal forced his Indian domestic help to work like a slave, the foreign ministry said, "We are disappointed and deeply concerned that Indian diplomats and their family members should be targeted in such a manner in a friendly country like the US."

It added, "Such actions impede the ability of the individuals in question to discharge their official responsibilities as well as cause untold mental harassment and anguish. These incidents cannot be dismissed lightly."

Sounding a subtle note of caution, the ministry said, "The treatment being meted out to Indian diplomats or their family members has resulted in negative public perceptions in India with attendant implications."

While the suit against Dayal, described by the ministry as "a senior diplomat of impeccable personal and professional integrity", has been filed in a Manhattan federal court, the strong statement is seen as reflecting the assessment of the government that US authorities have not been helpful to the diplomats facing harassment. In an earlier instance, Krittika Biswas, daughter of an Indian diplomat in New York, was imprisoned for a day on a charge which was found to be baseless.

The government is appreciative of the fact that US judiciary is fiercely independent and brooks little interference from the executive, but its grouse is that US government's approach on such issues has been excessively legalistic and does not take into account the needs and privileges diplomats have.

Krishna Bharadwaj, Dayal's domestic assistant, has accused the diplomat of treating her like a slave and harassing her sexually.

Refuting the charge in his communication to the government here, Dayal pointed out that Bharadwaj had worked for him in Morocco when he was posted as India's ambassador. She "willingly and voluntarily" accompanied the diplomat when he moved to New York in February 2009 to take up his current assignment.

Dayal also pointed out that Bharadwaj was paid as per the arrangement with her – Rs 14,000 per month was credited into her bank account in India while the rest of the amount was paid to her in US dollars in cash.

Dayal said Bharadwaj disappeared in the US when he wanted to relieve her, and concocted the charge when he moved for the revocation of her official passport.

Government unhappy with US response to troubles of Indian diplomats - The Times of India

Adux

Country flag
Time to haul some American dipolmat into some local Police station.

sob

Mod
Country flag
The charges could be true also. Keeping in mind the way some people treat their domestic help ( recently there was a case in Gurgaon where the servant a young kid was filmed getting kicked around by the lady of the house).

Also we had a similar case in UK where the Diplomat's wife had brought similar serious charges against her spouse and the IHC had similar arguments.

death.by.chocolate

Professional
Country flag
Time to haul some American dipolmat into some local Police station.
I doubt GoI has the cojones, if it did happen, I'd love to be a fly on the wall when your pusi-llanimous leader gets that midnight call from an angry Hillary.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
I doubt GoI has the cojones, if it did happen, I'd love to be a fly on the wall when your pusi-llanimous leader gets that midnight call from an angry Hillary.
I'd tell her to stick it where the sun doesn't shine but people like me or adux aren't running this country.

death.by.chocolate

Professional
Country flag
I'd tell her to stick it where the sun doesn't shine but people like me or adux aren't running this country.
Unlikely, but perhaps the next Indian female to lead your nation will possess the fortitude Indian men demonstrably lack. After all Indian women seem to be made of 'sterner stuff' , Mrs. Gandhi I hear was a women of great resolve, not to be confused with the Italian Mrs. Gandhi; who now runs things in India :rolleyes:

Reactions: sob

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Interestingly, if you are domestic help brought in to the US, you have to leave the US when your employer's tenure is over.

As a forced labour case, you will be given asylum and can hang around, and if I am not mistaken, also get your family over!

sandeepdg

The charges could be true also. Keeping in mind the way some people treat their domestic help ( recently there was a case in Gurgaon where the servant a young kid was filmed getting kicked around by the lady of the house).

Also we had a similar case in UK where the Diplomat's wife had brought similar serious charges against her spouse and the IHC had similar arguments.
Yeah, considering these recent incidents, I think it is very much possible that the charges brought against the Consul General are true. Heck, such incidents are a routine back home, and nobody bothers about it. But, US is not India, which some people forget, and then end paying a heavy price for their stupid actions.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
The Counsel General's maid was no spring chicken.

And if the Counsel General in a city like New York does a sexual advance on such aged people, he should be not be legally tried and instead locked up in a sanatorium! He is mentally deranged!! And given the Govt success in diplomacy, it might even be true!

The moral of the story - Have the horrid looking ancient harridan as your maid.

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
Unlikely, but perhaps the next Indian female to lead your nation will possess the fortitude Indian men demonstrably lack. After all Indian women seem to be made of 'sterner stuff' , Mrs. Gandhi I hear was a women of great resolve, not to be confused with the Italian Mrs. Gandhi; who now runs things in India :rolleyes:
dont undermine the current mrs gandhi, she is high on determination as well and the resolve with her is to make her kid baby india's PM one day and she and her coterie will one day make the unbelievable happen :D

GPM

Tihar Jail
Banned
Huh. There are two ways. One is TIT FOR TAT.

Another is declare Indian diplomats a minority in USA and invoke the latest violence bill, when it becomes a law. Then the American officials can be prosecuted without bail and their propertis can be attached and confiscated. NAC refers.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles