Good news for Train Travellers-- Hot Delicious hygienic food on Trains

sob

Mod
Country flag
Finally some good news for all those people travelling on IR and being on the mercy of the pantry or the food vendors on the station.
A Delhi based entrepreneur has started a Meals on Wheels concept for serving piping hot food, of your choice during your next train Journey.

Hat's off to Mr.Pushpinder Singh for coming up with this new venture.

Meals-On-Wheels: Your long-distance rail journey just got better | Firstpost

Long-distance train passengers thought the day would never come when they would be served fresh and tasty meals instead of the mush dished out by the Indian Railways. Finally, it has.

Ever since Delhi-based Pushpinder Singh launched his fully automated food-delivery system in December 2011, more than 6,000 passengers have been relishing the prospect of eating breakfast, lunch and dinner en route to their destinations. The mad scramble for the train window to buy greasy and grubby snacks during a brief halt is finally over. And no more making doubly sure the railway pantry has your preference of 'cuisine' down pat, only to be served something that is cold and inedible.

Order On The Go
So here's the yummy option: Delhi-based start-up Food Delivery in Trains | Food for Train Journey | Train Food Service – TravelKhana.Com allows you to book your meals online or over the phone before your journey or even on the go. When the train pulls into the station, a delivery boy arrives with your meal just as you had ordered it off the travelkhana menu. Hard to believe? Well, read on.

This magical solution is courtesy the patented technology behind the travelkhana.com platform developed by Singh, who invested a seed capital of Rs 22 lakh in the technology and a call centre to run this mind-boggling meal service.

The Food Chain

To place your order, you need to either log into the travelkhana.com site or dial their call centre. Next, provide basic personal information and your PNR Number and then check off items from a menu that offers a choice – yes, a choice! – of cuisine. If you order on the go, there's a minimum gap between placing your order and time of arrival at your destination to give the local supplier sufficient time to process and deliver your order.

Once you've ordered lunch or dinner, travelkhana.com relays your order to food plazas or restaurants in the vicinity of the station where your train will halt and a delivery boy will arrive with a warm meal at your berth or seat. And, yes, it's cash on delivery.

Revenue Model
The best part is the market is huge, adds Singh. "About 8 billion passengers travel by the Indian Railways every year. Only 434 trains of the 3,000 have a pantry car. We have already served 6,500 meals and have presence in 70 locations across Western and Northern India.

The cost of a meal ranges between Rs 50 and Rs 160 and the company maintains a profit margin of 18 percent.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Re: Good news for Train Travellers-- Hot Delicious hygienic food on Tr

Good news!

I will try it sometime :)

sob

Mod
Country flag

I remember that Bikanerwala had this arrangement at Nagpur Station for a long time. In Delhi Comesum is also offering a similar offering.

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag

My usual Jaipur-Delhi double decker is non-stop between Jaipur and Delhi :p
May be some other time.

sob

Mod
Country flag

My usual Jaipur-Delhi double decker is non-stop between Jaipur and Delhi :p
May be some other time.
How is the Train. Is it comfortable. The only problem is the timing, I believe it leaves Delhi in the afternoon.

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag

How is the Train. Is it comfortable. The only problem is the timing, I believe it leaves Delhi in the afternoon.
Only moderately comfortable but given the not so high fare, it is doable. Best thing is, it saves time.
Leaves Jaipur around 6 in the morning, reaches Gurgaon by 9:35 AM and Delhi by 10:10 AM. I get to attend my office and don't have to travel overnight.
Leaves Delhi around 5:55 PM and reaches Jaipur around 10 PM.

Reactions: sob

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag

I remember that Bikanerwala had this arrangement at Nagpur Station for a long time. In Delhi Comesum is also offering a similar offering.
I have not tried Bikanerwala but Comesum's outlet here overcrowds the platform when any long-distance train is about to leave. People go out of control to grab their packed food. I sometimes take Duronto to Mumbai & that train has no pantry! So its always better to have some options.

sob

Mod
Country flag

Only moderately comfortable but given the not so high fare, it is doable. Best thing is, it saves time.
Leaves Jaipur around 6 in the morning, reaches Gurgaon by 9:35 AM and Delhi by 10:10 AM. I get to attend my office and don't have to travel overnight.
Leaves Delhi around 5:55 PM and reaches Jaipur around 10 PM.
So for people like me who travel from Delhi it is not a good option. Maybe I will use it next time I stay overnight in Jaipur.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag

Delhi - Jaipur by road is a nightmare.

sob

Mod
Country flag

Delhi - Jaipur by road is a nightmare.
Delhi-Jaipur road is better, but the return journey is nightmare. The condition of the road from Behrore till Manesar, one feels as if we were driving on the moon's surface.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional

The cost of a meal ranges between Rs 50 and Rs 160 and the company maintains a profit margin of 18 percent.
Very commendable compared with this:

Amtrak Losing Millions Each Year on Food Sales

WASHINGTON — Amtrak lost more than $800 million on its food and beverage services over the last 10 years, largely because of waste, employee theft and lack of proper oversight, government auditors have found.

The railroad's food and beverage service has never broken even since it was required by Congress to do so in 1981. The losses were the focus of a House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee hearing on Thursday that reflected partisan views over how Amtrak should be run. Republican lawmakers suggested that food services should be privatized. Democrats questioned the need for the hearing, saying the railroad was dealing with the losses.

Joseph H. Boardman, president and chief executive of Amtrak, confirmed the losses but said the railroad was taking steps to address the problem. "We are still looking for ways to improve our cost recovery," he said.
And AMTRAK's food prices seem absurdly high.

Last edited:
Reactions: sob

Sandeep1109

Country flag
Good News for train traveler.now easy to order food in train from hotel . enjoy delicious food at your seat . it safe and reasonable

Global Defence

New threads

Articles