Godhra Carnage: 11 get death, 20 to serve life term

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
31 convicted in Godhra train burning case

Godhra train fire of 2002, convicting 31 people and acquitting 63 others. The verdict was pronounced by Additional Sessions Judge PR Patel, who convicted 31 people of criminal conspiracy in the train burning case.The court agreed that the conspiracy to set the coach on fire was hatched at Aman Guest House, belonging to one Razak Kurkur, and the fuel used to burn the train was also was stored there. Kurkur and another prime accused Haji Billa have been found guilty but another main accused, Maulana Umarji, has been acquitted.The court also acquitted Godhra Town Municipality chief Mohammad Abdul Rahim Kalota, Nannu Mian Chowdhary and Mohammad Ansari.

Special Public Prosecutor JM Panchal said that the court upheld that the burning of the train was a pre-planned conspiracy.

"The conspiracy theory has been accepted by the court and 31 convicted of criminal conspiracy. The motive of conspiracy was to set the train on fire. The vestibule was cut and the coach was set on fire. There can be no debate on judicial verdict. The verdict is based on oral evidence and eyewitness accounts," said Panchal.

Out of 31 convicted, the sentencing of 25 people will be taken up on Friday. A total of 134 people were chargesheeted in the case out of which 16 are absconding while 13 have been released for lack of evidence.

Defence lawyer IM Munshi said his clients would appeal against the verdict.
"We are not satisfied with the judgement. There are many contradictions. We will have to appeal in the higher court. We will wait for the quantum of punishment and then appeal in the higher court," said Munshi.

Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) welcomed the verdict in the case.

"This is the time for people to introspect who have used the issue for petty political gains. Those who were questioning this incident itself need to do some soul searching. The larger issue that attack on kar sevaks was a conspiracy has been established," said BJP leader Ravi Shankar Prasad.

The S-6 coach of Sabarmati Express was set on fire on February 27, 2002, killing 59 kar sevaks returning from Ayodhya in Uttar Pradesh. The train burning incident sparked off the Gujarat riots in which over 1,000 people were killed. The trial conducted inside the Sabarmati Central Jail began in June 2009.

niharjhatn

I can barely remember the reason they did this - what was the political motive as accused by the BJP?

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
Good to see some kind of justice being done atleast after 9 years. Our judiciary is the worst among others(according to me). In INDIA anyone who is wealthy enough or having any kind of political background can survive or sustain any kind of crime he commits. Atleast the crimes against our country or crimes which disturb communal harmony must be dealt as fast as possible. It is a shame on the political system which is not allowing the judiciary to perform their duty properly.

JBH22

RIP godhra victims hope the culprits are hanged this is their punishment

Last edited:

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
I would like to tell one thing . The congress was and is very hard when it comes to GUJRAT, NARENDRA MODI and the GODHRA riots. If we see why dosen't the congress talk about what they did in the case of the ANTI-SIKH RIOTS in 1984. These bloody and idiortic congress used the INDIAN ARMY to its advantage and killed many innocent people who were not a part of the so called sikh terrorists. The congress is the most communal party in whole of INDIA. And now they say that B.J.P. and the whole of SANGH PARIVAR is communal. The idiortic babus of the congress should see what they done in the past before pointing fingers on others. And the entire GODHRA riots was a result of the lighting of the SABARMATI EXPRESS in which some HINDU families died. This act of lighting the train was performed by the people of the other community and this was like provoking the HINDU community. People from both the communities lost their lives and it is not correct to blame MODI for these killings. I think people only think about the MUSLIM people killed and not the HINDUS. Why does the congress say that B.J.P. is communal. I think only MUSLIMS are humanbeings in this country and the HINDUS are slaves. It is disgusting. I think all HINDUS must leave this country and go somewhere else. For centuries HINDUS (according to the western world) are the native people of the INDIAN-SUB CONTINENT and MUSLIMS are from PERSIA. They have come here and attacked us and ruled us. Now they say that they are being illtreated by the HINDUS. For centuries they killed lot of HINDUS and looted the HINDUS. Even in the recent history the MUSLIMS in KASHMIR killed lot of KASHMIRI PANDITS who are the original KASHMIRIS and say KASHMIR belongs to us MUSLIMS and all the HINDUS must go out from KASHMIR. Is this what you say secular. Being tortured, looted and ruled for centuries we HINDUS are fed-up of being ruled by foreigners. I am talking about history. We HINDUS are basically very calm and very restraint towards any kind of violence. I personally feel that even killing a masqito is a sin and at certain time I don't kill the masqitos, instead i just drive them out of my room. We HINDUS never indulge in any harmul acts unless and until we are being underestimated that we don't know to fight back and we are cowards. Once when I was young one of my friend who is a MUSLIM provoked by saying that I don't have enough strength in my body and I am too weak. He repeatedly started making fun of me and one fine day I showed what strength I have and he was shocked and pleaded mercy. I am basically a BRAHMIN and I eat only vegitarian. May be I am weak, but it does not mean that I don't have strength. This is how they provoke us. I am a victim and I had to give answer to him and show that I am not a weak boy.

Last edited:

amitkriit

Now convict those who were responsible for the rioting and killing of thousands of innocent Indians after the Godhara carnage. Government and judiciary must prove that law of the land is supreme, and it will be applied without any discrimination.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I think that justice and fairplay is all a mirage in this country.

If it were not so, there would have been no riots since the start of post Independence history.

Nor would there have been the daylight robbery through scams.

pmaitra

Now convict those who were responsible for the rioting and killing of thousands of innocent Indians after the Godhara carnage. Government and judiciary must prove that law of the land is supreme, and it will be applied without any discrimination.
Good point. India must free herself of this mob culture and this tendency towards delivering vigilante justice.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Godhra carnage: 11 get death, 20 to serve life term

Eleven convicts in the Godhra train burning case were on Tuesday handed down death sentence while 20 others were given life imprisonment by a special court in the 2002 incident that left 59 karsevaks dead and triggered riots which claimed over 1,200 lives in Gujarat.

Special judge P R Patel considering the case as "rarest of rare" pronounced death penalty for 11 out of the 31 convicted in the case while 20 others were sentenced to life imprisonment.

Those who were awarded capital punishment are Bilal Ismail Abdul Majid Sujela alias Bilal Haji, Abdul Razak Mohammad Kurkur, Ramjani Binyamin Behra, Hasan Ahmed Charkha alias Lalu, Jabir Binyamin Behra, Mehboob Khalid Chanda, Salim alias Salman Yusuf Sattar Zarda, Siraj Mohammad Abdul Meda alias Bala, Irfan Abdul Majid Ganchi Kalandar alias Irfan Bhopo, Irfan Mhammad Hanifabdul Gani Pataliya and Mehbub Ahmed Yusuf Hasan alias Latiko.

JBH22

Those who were awarded capital punishment are Bilal Ismail Abdul Majid Sujela alias Bilal Haji, Abdul Razak Mohammad Kurkur, Ramjani Binyamin Behra, Hasan Ahmed Charkha alias Lalu, Jabir Binyamin Behra, Mehboob Khalid Chanda, Salim alias Salman Yusuf Sattar Zarda, Siraj Mohammad Abdul Meda alias Bala, Irfan Abdul Majid Ganchi Kalandar alias Irfan Bhopo, Irfan Mhammad Hanifabdul Gani Pataliya and Mehbub Ahmed Yusuf Hasan alias Latiko.
Mogambo khush huwa meet you at the gallows scum of the earth between will that sentence be delayed like that of Afzal guru

vishal_lionheart

Muslims and Minorities are really insecure now. The judgement is truly biased and one side, and what about politician and cops involved in rights.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Muslims and Minorities are really insecure now. The judgement is truly biased and one side, and what about politician and cops involved in rights.
Why do you think the judgement is biased? and on what basis you are saying that?.

And the case on riots post-godhra is still going on under supervision of supreme court.

pmaitra

Vishal, while I have been very vocal in criticising the Modi government for failing to protect the minorities, in this particular case I'd say justice has been done, but then that's me.

I think everyone, minority or majority, should know that the law is above all.

Tronic

Why should anyone else, but criminals, be insecure?? The people getting hanged carried out that carnage; they are getting what they deserve. It also makes tuning attention towards the perpetrators of Gujarat riots easier, since the train burning people had to be brought to justice before anything, which has now finally been done. Its good news.

Tronic

I would like to tell one thing . The congress was and is very hard when it comes to GUJRAT, NARENDRA MODI and the GODHRA riots. If we see why dosen't the congress talk about what they did in the case of the ANTI-SIKH RIOTS in 1984. These bloody and idiortic congress used the INDIAN ARMY to its advantage and killed many innocent people who were not a part of the so called sikh terrorists. The congress is the most communal party in whole of INDIA. And now they say that B.J.P. and the whole of SANGH PARIVAR is communal. The idiortic babus of the congress should see what they done in the past before pointing fingers on others. And the entire GODHRA riots was a result of the lighting of the SABARMATI EXPRESS in which some HINDU families died. This act of lighting the train was performed by the people of the other community and this was like provoking the HINDU community. People from both the communities lost their lives and it is not correct to blame MODI for these killings. I think people only think about the MUSLIM people killed and not the HINDUS. Why does the congress say that B.J.P. is communal. I think only MUSLIMS are humanbeings in this country and the HINDUS are slaves. It is disgusting. I think all HINDUS must leave this country and go somewhere else. For centuries HINDUS (according to the western world) are the native people of the INDIAN-SUB CONTINENT and MUSLIMS are from PERSIA. They have come here and attacked us and ruled us. Now they say that they are being illtreated by the HINDUS. For centuries they killed lot of HINDUS and looted the HINDUS. Even in the recent history the MUSLIMS in KASHMIR killed lot of KASHMIRI PANDITS who are the original KASHMIRIS and say KASHMIR belongs to us MUSLIMS and all the HINDUS must go out from KASHMIR. Is this what you say secular. Being tortured, looted and ruled for centuries we HINDUS are fed-up of being ruled by foreigners. I am talking about history. We HINDUS are basically very calm and very restraint towards any kind of violence. I personally feel that even killing a masqito is a sin and at certain time I don't kill the masqitos, instead i just drive them out of my room. We HINDUS never indulge in any harmul acts unless and until we are being underestimated that we don't know to fight back and we are cowards. Once when I was young one of my friend who is a MUSLIM provoked by saying that I don't have enough strength in my body and I am too weak. He repeatedly started making fun of me and one fine day I showed what strength I have and he was shocked and pleaded mercy. I am basically a BRAHMIN and I eat only vegitarian. May be I am weak, but it does not mean that I don't have strength. This is how they provoke us. I am a victim and I had to give answer to him and show that I am not a weak boy.
Muslim Hindu divide is created for the vote bank. I've been to South India and let me tell you, there is no difference between the Muslim and the Hindu there. They are as much from Persia as you. And the ones who are from Persianitic culture (I had one Muslim friend from Hyderabad who was out of the same nawab families which ruled that area), they are far more "out" than anyone else. I mean I don't see any difference in them; the guy would stop everything during ramadan months, and than be back at clubbing and drinking. Actually he was way too far gone for even me (too much of the happy green stuff lol), but meh, my generalizations have always gone the opposite way for some reason lol. Maybe could be that I grew up in a Jatt Sikh family, moderate and liberal but still with a touch of orthodoxy. And than seeing these Muslims, who by popular stereotype are supposed to be far more "katthar" (orthodox) than me, being far more out, the stereotypes swung directions. If you sit back and watch, trust me you won't see no difference. Everyone bickers over little stuff but at the end of the day, its all still the same. ;)

Last edited:

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Muslim Hindu divide is created for the vote bank. I've been to South India and let me tell you, there is no difference between the Muslim and the Hindu there. They are as much from Persia as you. And the ones who are from Persianitic culture (I had one Muslim friend from Hyderabad who was out of the same nawab families which ruled that area), they are far more "out" than anyone else. I mean I don't see any difference in them; the guy would stop everything during ramadan months, and than be back at clubbing and drinking. Actually he was way too far gone for even me (too much of the happy green stuff lol), but meh, my generalizations have always gone the opposite way for some reason lol. Maybe could be that I grew up in a Jatt Sikh family, moderate and liberal but still with a touch of orthodoxy. And than seeing these Muslims, who by popular stereotype are supposed to be far more "katthar" (orthodox) than me, being far more out, the stereotypes swung directions. If you sit back and watch, trust me you won't see no difference. Everyone bickers over little stuff but at the end of the day, its all still the same. ;)
All the young muslims i know do the same thing....it is same for hindus and everyone else aswell. they will act like saints in house and do opposite once out.

Oracle

I pray the Eucharist is served well to all those going to the gallows!

Last edited:

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Law wins again.. the dirty attempt to massacre innocent Hindu people by these fundamentalists scarred the peace and respect between the communities. I applaud that these bloody train burners get death sentences. That bloody burning only led to carnage. There is nothing for anyone to be insecure. The law took its sweet time and sentenced the judgement. It cannot be given slack just because someone is a "minority" for the ruling government's favours.

It is about the innocent and guilty not about who is minority and who is majority.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Indian Muslims are from Persia ROFLMAO.

mayfair

Indian Muslims are from Persia ROFLMAO.
I thought only Pakistanis believed that :pound:.

Back on topic, the government and the justice system must show its resolve, justness and fortitude in punishing those responsible for horrific acts during the Godhra riots- both Hindus and Muslims. This must be done to send out a message to those who indulge in such barbarism in the name of religion, caste, language or ethnicity.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles