Gilgit-Baltistan: Pakistan’s Hidden Paradise

Neo

Gilgit-Baltistan: Pakistan’s Hidden Paradise

Some stunning experiences await the traveler to one of Pakistan’s most unique regions.
By Zehra Abid
August 31, 2015

Karimabad, Hunza Valley

When the twin towers were hit on September 11, there was panic in Pakistan’s Hunza Valley. Javed Ali was sitting in the lobby of his hotel, the Hilltop, when the news came in. There were shrieks and wails all around him as people watched the attacks unfold on TV. Tourists called their friends and family back home, wanting to rush out of Pakistan, and frantic calls were made to embassies. Everyone left as soon as they could. For years afterwards, Hunza saw few tourists. Restaurant signs in Japanese and Korean have faded, but they haven’t been removed; they offer fond memories of happier times.

Now, more than 14 years later, Hunza is finally experiencing something of a tourism renaissance. In the valley’s capital Karimabad, tourists have scrambled for space this summer. Visitors slept on pavements and tents were pitched on hotel roofs. Most of these tourists were Pakistani. “Earlier, there would only be foreign tourists but after 9/11, they stopped coming. Now Pakistanis have started coming in,” one local told The Diplomat. It’s almost as if the rest of Pakistan has finally discovered this semi-autonomous region, which borders the province of Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa, Pakistan administered Kashmir to the southwest, Wakhan Corridor to Afghanistan to the northwest, China to the north, and Indian Kashmir to the southwest.

Hunza is part of the Gilgit-Baltistan region of Pakistan, home to some of the world’s greatest natural treasures. For one thing, it is here where three great mountain ranges meet – the Hindu Kush, Karakoram, and Nanga Parbat. It boasts the world’s second and ninth highest mountains, K2 and Nanga Parbat. Gilgit-Baltistan in fact features five of the world’s 14 “eight-thousanders” – mountain peaks that rise 8,000 meters or more above sea level – and has an astonishing 108 peaks that are over 7,000 meters. Below 7,000, the region has so many mountains that there is neither a definitive count nor have they all been named.

Hunza Valley defies many of the usual Pakistan stereotypes. It has a near 100 percent literacy rate, women run factories and cafes, and it remains untouched by the rise of Islamic extremism seen in other parts of the county. Locals insist that it is among the very few areas in Pakistan where women can safely travel alone at night. The people of Karimabad take pride in how liberated this region is, and continue to make determined efforts to provide employment opportunities for women.

http://thediplomat.com/2015/08/gilgit-baltistan-pakistans-hidden-paradise/

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
Sectarianism and Violence in Gilgit-Baltistan by Pakistan

Sectarianism in the Gilgit-Baltistan region of undivided State of Jammu and Kashmir (J&K), currently controlled by Pakistan, needs to be highlighted as it not only fuels mass discontent but also keeps the region boiling.

Since the region remains deprived of substantive powers and as all high ranking officials are from the Sunni sect, it is no surprise that the area has become a hub of sectarianism and that Shias are repeatedly and violently targeted.

The brunt of the radical Islamization policy of General Zia-ul-Haq in this region focused on settling outsiders in the area, impacting directly and adversely on the local people The policy of Islamization, the Afghan crisis in the 1980s, the revolution in Iran in 1979, have all had a cumulative effect on sectarian turmoil.

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
Kargil shuts down against Gilgit-Baltistan violence by Pakistan

The Shia-dominated Kargil border town in Jammu and Kashmir on Saturday observed a complete bandh in protest against the recent sectarian violence in the Gilgit-Baltistan region of northern Pakistan.

On April 3, at least 14 people were killed and over 50 others injured after violence erupted between Shia and Sunni groups in Gilgit city, the capital of the region.

Responding to a bandh call by the Anjuman-e-Jamiyatul Ulima Asna Ashriya (Islamia School Kargil) to express solidarity with the people of Gilgit-Baltistan, all shops and business establishments remained closed and vehicles kept off the roads.

People from many villages in Kargil district assembled at Islamia School Kargil, carrying black flags and placards and chanting slogans against the killings in the region.

Protesters in Kargil took out a march and raised slogans against the Pakistan government. Naib Imam Jumma of Islamia School Kargil, Hujattul Islam Sheikh Hussain Mukaddas, appealed to the Indian government to intervene and help stop the killings in the region.

Security reviewed

Meanwhile, the Army, paramilitary forces and intelligence agencies reviewed the security in the State at a meeting here, ahead of the onset of summer, when infiltration of militants increases because of the opening of natural passes. The General Officer Commanding of the Srinagar-based Chinar Corps, Lt. Gen. S.A. Hasnain, co-chaired the core group meeting with Director-General of Police Kuldeep Khoda at the Badami Bagh Cantonment, a defence spokesman said.

============================================================================

Let's counter the ISI propaganda by these Pakis on DFI.

One of the Paki even refuse to be a Paki aka @blue marlin

@Blackwater @jackprince @Sakal Gharelu Ustad @Rowdy @alphacentury @sydsnyper @anupamsurey @VIP
@Razor @brational @Bangalorean @Mad Indian @cobra commando @hit&run @maomao @TrueSpirit2
@ersakthivel @OneGrimPilgrim @Vishwarupa @Srinivas_K @maomao @VIP @pmaitra @Screambowl @LETHALFORCE @DFI_COAS @bose @sorcerer @thethinker

@Neo @Raja.pakistani @Zarvan @blue marlin

Sylex21

Yeah it is a really beautiful place that whole area of the world is. A shame there is so much terrorism and violence going on around there, especially at risk if you a foreigner in the region. I was surprised when I looked up a picture of Kargil, at just how beautiful the city actually was.

Well hopefully in another 20-50 years, the region will settle down and can become a peaceful vacation get away.

Neo

Yeah it is a really beautiful place that whole area of the world is. A shame there is so much terrorism and violence going on around there, especially at risk if you a foreigner in the region. I was surprised when I looked up a picture of Kargil, at just how beautiful the city actually was.

Well hopefully in another 20-50 years, the region will settle down and can become a peaceful vacation get away.
Google some pics of Neelum Valley if you want to see real beauty of Kashmir.
That's my favorite place.

blue marlin

[QUOTE ]Yeah it is a really beautiful place that whole area of the world is. A shame there is so much terrorism and violence going on around there, especially at risk if you a foreigner in the region. I was surprised when I looked up a picture of Kargil, at just how beautiful the city actually was.

Google some pics of Neelum Valley if you want to see real beauty of Kashmir.
That's my favorite place.[/QUOTE]
no pic lad where is the picture. i posted something on pdf check my thread there regarding the beauty of Pakistani kashmir.

Reactions: Neo

Neo

Let's not derail the thread. Kashmir is beautiful and maybe for once we can talk about her beauty.

I wonder how many DFI'ns have actually been there. I have...both sides of the border.

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
Let's counter the ISI propaganda by these Pakis on DFI.[
Or make me mod again. I'm available almost all-day long.

Let's not derail the thread. Kashmir is beautiful and maybe for once we can talk about her beauty.

I wonder how many DFI'ns have actually been there. I have...both sides of the border.
Unlike PoK, Indian-administered J&K is much safer, and larger number of tourists visit it.

I've done a Jammu-Srinagar-Leh roadtrip with a Gulmarg detour on the way back to Jammu, and the crowds from the rest of India were huge.

I then realised that Indian control over J&K is worth defending to the last bullet and the last warhead.

musalman

پاکستان زنده باد
Country flag
I like the way these Indians try to sow seed of religious sectarianism`. I use these statements to show people in Pakistan that these are the people who are trying to create religious intolerance in Pakistan. :) Thank you Ganday Pani and istenjay kay pather for helping me

Blackwater

I like the way these Indians try to sow seed of religious sectarianism`. I use these statements to show people in Pakistan that these are the people who are trying to create religious intolerance in Pakistan. :) Thank you Ganday Pani and istenjay kay pather for helping me
Iam always there to help pakis [emoji38][emoji38][emoji12]btw what is istenjay kay pather?? I only know pather ke phool staring salman Khan and ravina tondon [emoji13][emoji13][emoji13]

brational

Country flag
Keep up the good work and bring some change in Pakistan so that people in Pakistan don't expect anything from India. Please show these to your PCB chief so that he stops begging for India-Baki cricket series. you will do great service to your country if you can convince your jihadi army and brainfart govt to take back the sold portion of Kashmir from China and vacate the entire POK that belongs to India. May all ah be with you!

sorcerer

Country flag
Religions intolerance ...as if its something new!!

Look no further than the WIKIPEDIA entry on Blasphemy
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blasphemy_law_in_Pakistan#Selected_cases

Blasphemy...the Pillar of Pakistan Democracy!

Screambowl

Ghanta Senior Member?
Country flag
most of the Pakis from basically punjab region call them selves punjabis. I asked one.. where are you from India or Pak, ( i knew is paki) he said.. i am also from punjab only .. but he avoided saying I am from delhi. He knew that I am Indian lol .

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles