Ghazal maestro Jagjit Singh passes away

Galaxy

Country flag
Ghazal maestro Jagjit Singh passes away

NEW DELHI: Renowned ghazal singer Jagjit Singh, 70, passed away at 8 am in Lilavati Hospital on Monday morning.

Jagjit Singh was admitted to the Lilavati Hospital on September 23 after he suffered brain haemorrhage in suburban Bandra where a life-saving surgery was performed on him.

He is survived by his wife Chitra Singh.

Jagjit Singh was born in Sri Ganganagar, Rajasthan. He had four sisters and two brothers and he is known as Jeet by his family.

Popularly known as "The Ghazal King" he gained acclaim together with his wife, another renowned Indian ghazal singer Chitra Singh, in the 1970s and 1980s, as the first ever successful duo act (husband-wife) in the history of recorded Indian music.

Recipient of Padma Bhushan award, he has sung in several languages including Hindi, Urdu, Punjabi and Nepali.

His popular ghazals include, Meri zindagi kisi aur ki, mere naam ka koi aur hai, Apni marzi se kahan apne safar ke hum hain, Wo jo hum mein tumme qaraar tha, Patta-patta boota-boota haal hamaara jaane hai, Hoshwalo ko khabar, etc.

Jagjjit Singh has also sung for popular movies like Sarfarosh and Tarqeeb.

Ghazal maestro Jagjit Singh passes away - The Times of India

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
Oh nooooo !! :( RIP... he was my favorite ghazal singer i have almost 95% of his albums, OMG !! it's a very very bad news :(

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
RIP to him. His loss is a big one as he touched so many hearts in india and abroad with his soulful and melodious ghazals. The best Ghazal singer ever.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I was a fan of his.

RIP maestro!

Interesting question was once asked of me as to what is a geet and what is a ghazal.

Any takers?

Last edited by a moderator:

sob

Mod
Country flag
A great man will be missed by all. He was the person who made Ghazals popular with the common man.

RIP Maestro

sob

Mod
Country flag
My favourite song from Movies sung by JS

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
May rest in peace.

Will miss his gazals.

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
oh no....India has lost a precious gem. RIP.

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
i have such fond memories, every time i was to travel long distances, would make sure never to leave without his numbers.

SHASH2K2

Gazals will be less populars after his death. he was one of greatest and brightest of all Ghazal singers in India. May his soul rest in peace.

Galaxy

Country flag
My fav. song of jagjit SIngh

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
Tribute to great man:

sandeepdg

RIP, Mr.Singh !! My favorite other than Pankaj Udhas. Shash is right, ghazals will loose their popularity with his passing away. A gem of a singer !
Very tragic loss, indeed..

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles