Ghatak Assault Rifle in Person ( Review )

arkem8

Country flag
Interesting!! the INSAS variant seems to have a milled/ machined receiver.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
The Ghatak is design to provide a Rifle par or better than imported AK & AKM in cheap and in mass for solider involve in counter insurgency operations from Indian armed forces.

Ordnance Factory Board said the prototype of this weapon had successfully cleared field trials by the Army, the Indian Air Force and the Sashastra Seema Bal.

The following suggestions are very informative, But if one has to do so many changes then its logical to re design Excalibur with 16inch barrel and few improvement as suggested and chambered it for 7.62M43, OFB has this variant call AR-2.

Keeping in mind that Ghatak is design as per GSQR, They wanted a AK with few changes which can be mass produce in country.

@Kunal Biswas

What is the purpose/role behind ghatak? What is the niche it is supposed to fulfill in army?
Great !!
So , which force is using it primarily ?

Sent from my Micromax Q380 using Tapatalk
I really like the concept and design of Ghatak assault rifle but i think they should implement these things to their design too.

First thing is,Left-sided fire selector.
-------------------------------------------
As you can see in Polish Tantal Rifles,they put a 3-position fire selector on the left side of firearm (as majority of shooters are Right-handed so they can easily operate such fire selector with their thumbs).Even Israeli Galil rifles have them (and both Tantal and Galil are improved Kalashnikov variants.)

Tantal Rifle from Poland

Galil Rifle from Israel

even Serbian Zastava M-21 rifle has Left-sided Fire selector similar to Galil

Note:Fire selector in Galil and Zastava rifles moves with Right side Dust cover cum fire selector (You can see it in following video)
but in Polish Tantals Right side Dust cover-cum-fire selector is independent to Left side fire selector and both Fire selectors are operated seperately.In Tantals,Right side dust cover-cum-fire selector has two mods - Safe and Fire (Like any Semi-Automatic only Kalashnikov rifle) and Left Side Fire selector has three mods - Semi-automatic (in middle position,marked as 'P'),Full auto (in far left position,marked as 'C') and 3-round Burst fire (in far right position,marked as 'S').

Left sided Fire selector in Tantal rifle,here the gun is set to Full auto mod.

Here,The fire selector mechanism of Galil is shown.Notice its simplicity.

Second thing is,Modular Right side Fire selector
-------------------------------------------------------------
Current Fire selector-cum-Dust cover for Ghatak is typical AK-type fire selector.I think they should implement this kind of Fire selector on Right side.

Krebs Custom Modular Fire selector for AK rifles

and Finally,Top Mounted Detachable Rails for Optics.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Rails for Polish Beryl Rifle

This kind of Rails have little elevation so the Shooter can use Iron sights along with Optical sights,if Needed.

I know Rail section for INSAS rifle can do it too,but i think it should be put on Ghatak rifle in this format.

Some more things that should be added with Ghatak is,Folding+Adjustable buttstock,Illuminated Sights (so one can fire the gun during night using Iron sights).

P.S.
-----
Pardon me for my Weak english,as It is my third language and I'm still learning it.
Great !!
So , which force is using it primarily ?

Sent from my Micromax Q380 using Tapatalk
I really like the concept and design of Ghatak assault rifle but i think they should implement these things to their design too.

First thing is,Left-sided fire selector.
-------------------------------------------
As you can see in Polish Tantal Rifles,they put a 3-position fire selector on the left side of firearm (as majority of shooters are Right-handed so they can easily operate such fire selector with their thumbs).Even Israeli Galil rifles have them (and both Tantal and Galil are improved Kalashnikov variants.)

Tantal Rifle from Poland

Galil Rifle from Israel

even Serbian Zastava M-21 rifle has Left-sided Fire selector similar to Galil

Note:Fire selector in Galil and Zastava rifles moves with Right side Dust cover cum fire selector (You can see it in following video)
but in Polish Tantals Right side Dust cover-cum-fire selector is independent to Left side fire selector and both Fire selectors are operated seperately.In Tantals,Right side dust cover-cum-fire selector has two mods - Safe and Fire (Like any Semi-Automatic only Kalashnikov rifle) and Left Side Fire selector has three mods - Semi-automatic (in middle position,marked as 'P'),Full auto (in far left position,marked as 'C') and 3-round Burst fire (in far right position,marked as 'S').

Left sided Fire selector in Tantal rifle,here the gun is set to Full auto mod.

Here,The fire selector mechanism of Galil is shown.Notice its simplicity.

Second thing is,Modular Right side Fire selector
-------------------------------------------------------------
Current Fire selector-cum-Dust cover for Ghatak is typical AK-type fire selector.I think they should implement this kind of Fire selector on Right side.

Krebs Custom Modular Fire selector for AK rifles

and Finally,Top Mounted Detachable Rails for Optics.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Rails for Polish Beryl Rifle

This kind of Rails have little elevation so the Shooter can use Iron sights along with Optical sights,if Needed.

I know Rail section for INSAS rifle can do it too,but i think it should be put on Ghatak rifle in this format.

Some more things that should be added with Ghatak is,Folding+Adjustable buttstock,Illuminated Sights (so one can fire the gun during night using Iron sights).

P.S.
-----
Pardon me for my Weak english,as It is my third language and I'm still learning it.

Last edited:

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
The following suggestions are very informative, But if one has to do so many changes then its logical to re design Excalibur with 16inch barrel and few improvement as suggested and chambered it for 7.62M43, OFB has this variant call AR-2.
Hmm..Okay i got it,but again,Think about the changes i suggested about Fire selectors.

at least They could add these kind of Small improvements to their 'Modernised' design.How much it would cost them to fix a metallic plate on it and make this kind of fire selector ?

Or this kind of fire selector ? (so one can operate it without taking his hand off from trigger or front grip,like with AR-15/M16 or INSAS)

The Kalashnikov was designed during 50's and now It is 2016 and Still bases of both AK and Ghatak are pretty much similar - except to those Lightweight furniture,Aperture sight in the place of notch sight,Picatiny rails on Furniture (almost every modern firearm has it and there's a huge aftermarket for rails in various parts around the globe),Lightweight - Hmm according to the brochure

Weight of the Ghatak is about 3.65 Kg with empty mag,so i assume with full 30rd magazine it might be around 4.1-4.2 Kg - very much similar to Standard AKM rifle with full magazine - So What's unique about this gun after all,except that It's made in India under the roof of OFB ?

I agree on GSQR and all the things but my only question is,Why they cannot implement such simple things on Ghatak as to give our Jawans more ergonomic weapon ?

Aperature sight on Ghatak - Just look at this aftermarket iron sight made by Krebs custom.

They might have seen this kinda sight somewhere and put it on Ghatak.

Plus the Fixed buttstock - It resembles to East German MPi-K (or MPi-KM)'s buttstock. I think the dotted pattern is also taken from the east german buttstock WITH same number of dots.

rip off ? Maybe...:crazy:

Anyway,The Ghatak is going to serve our jawans and I'm happy with it.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
I don`t disagree with your ideas, the changes you talked about are fine, But changes you think that should be there on rifle may not be there when requirement were set in given time. Its GSQR pre date both MCIWS and Excalibur.

Though such changes should enhance rifles efficiency without degrading solider`s efficiency, And should be taken under consideration.

The Kalashnikov was designed during 50's and now It is 2016 and Still bases of both AK and Ghatak are pretty much similar - except to those Lightweight furniture,Aperture sight in the place of notch sight,Picatiny rails on Furniture (almost every modern firearm has it and there's a huge aftermarket for rails in various parts around the globe),Lightweight - Hmm according to the brochure

Weight of the Ghatak is about 3.65 Kg with empty mag,so i assume with full 30rd magazine it might be around 4.1-4.2 Kg - very much similar to Standard AKM rifle with full magazine - So What's unique about this gun after all,except that It's made in India under the roof of OFB ?

I agree on GSQR and all the things but my only question is,Why they cannot implement such simple things on Ghatak as to give our Jawans more ergonomic weapon ?

Aperature sight on Ghatak - Just look at this aftermarket iron sight made by Krebs custom.

They might have seen this kinda sight somewhere and put it on Ghatak.

Plus the Fixed buttstock - It resembles to East German MPi-K (or MPi-KM)'s buttstock. I think the dotted pattern is also taken from the east german buttstock WITH same number of dots.

rip off ? Maybe...:crazy:

Anyway,The Ghatak is going to serve our jawans and I'm happy with it.

Last edited:

Rushil51

Country flag
Don't you think the finish is a trifle crude?

Compare this with the Polish Beryl Rifle....

Pics seems something a company would use in an advertisement. There is a good chance the pic was photoshopped to give it a very clean look. A real life pic of the rifle will help us to see the difference.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
That is because Ghatak is without phosphate coating, With coating it will look like this.

Production version of Improved 1b1 has it, Ghatak will to have it too.

Don't you think the finish is a trifle crude?

Compare this with the Polish Beryl Rifle....
======================

Finally @Chinmoy is viewing the thread, I would`nt have post it without his and others tenacious requests.

So does @Shaitan, Curiosity on INSAS thread regarding Excalibur..

Chinmoy

Country flag
Thanks a lottttttt @Kunal Biswas ........... :yo:.

So without going into technical details, what you think of its prospect in any 7.62 category? How does it competes with any of the contemporary design of 7.62.?

As far as improvement or customization is concerned, I believe that it is only possible after the platform see a extended service period. No amount of tests in controlled environment can suggest what is best or what is not.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
7.62m43 will remain in counter insurgency in near future, Other designs will come off when ready in Indian context strictly.

Its however possible that we may see minor modifications specially related to butt-stock, Otherwise everything is fine.

Bahrtiya

Country flag
There is one college called DIAT( defence institute of advance technology) in pune, and they have courses related to armaments, i was wondering about there contribution and effectiveness in development of indigenous armaments,not only in guns( big and small) but also in missiles and rockets.
So can anyone enlighten me on the role of DIAT in such projects and in development of indigenous small arms like Ghatak, thanks.

P.S. idk if this is off topic, if it is then i am sorry but i don't know where to post this query.

Certified Gipsy

That is because Ghatak is without phosphate coating, With coating it will look like this.

Production version of Improved 1b1 has it, Ghatak will to have it too.

======================

Finally @Chinmoy is viewing the thread, I would`nt have post it without his and others tenacious requests.

So does @Shaitan, Curiosity on INSAS thread regarding Excalibur..
Is there a close up and full picture of this production version with phosphate coating? I want to see the best finished product that these OFBs have achieved so far.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

kapali_ninaad

Country flag
GM everyone,

A thing which I noticed is that all Indian rifles have iron sights and only Special Forces or designated soliders might have scopes or red dot sights on them, then why not have the rear sights on Ghatak pulled back to the extreme end for better aiming ( maybe this is not the production version). After all this is what we did with INSAS.

If you see Galil ( essentially a modified AK with inputs from the IDF) , you will notice what I mean. Another reason to like the Galil is the bottle opener J on the frame itself, but hey this is not the selection criteria.

Meanwhile , when is MCIWS getting inducted. Can't wait to see the soldiers with them.

Reactions: Kay

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
GM everyone,

A thing which I noticed is that all Indian rifles have iron sights and only Special Forces or designated soliders might have scopes or red dot sights on them, then why not have the rear sights on Ghatak pulled back to the extreme end for better aiming ( maybe this is not the production version). After all this is what we did with INSAS.

If you see Galil ( essentially a modified AK with inputs from the IDF) , you will notice what I mean. Another reason to like the Galil is the bottle opener J on the frame itself, but hey this is not the selection criteria.

Meanwhile , when is MCIWS getting inducted. Can't wait to see the soldiers with them.
Galil (or her Daddy Finnish Valmet Rk. 62) has this configuration as to improve rifle's accuracy by increasing sight radius,but sometimes their sights needs to zeroed again after disassembly/removal of top cover,as sights are mounted on it. (i read it somewhere on this forum that INSAS has similar drawback too.)

I think SG550's configuration is best for an assault rifle - A two piece receiver (held at places by pins rather than slide lock mounted on recoil spring) with Kalashnikov typed long stroke gas system and bolt carrier.

Reactions: Kay

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles