Germany backs English for 'EU language'

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Wow!! I mean just wow! After fighting two wars for supremacy, Germany wants English as a common language for the European Union! We Indians being of the same country and common culture could not settle on a language for national language!

=====

First, it joined hands with UK to support the first of its kind budget cut in EU's history. Now, Germany has called for English to be made the common language of the European Union. German president Joachim Gauck said on Friday that to encourage a greater sense of commonality in the continent, Europe, with its 23 official languages, needed a common tongue.

Germany backs English for ‘EU language’ - TOI Mobile | The Times of India Mobile Site

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
Well, English itself is a Germanic language. The two languages are very similar to one another.

The French should be pissed off though. They are adamant about everything being in French, even though hardly anyone speaks it except the French themselves and some Canadians and Africans.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
This is easier said than done across Europe. But the good thing going for EU on this English language initiative is political will of their leaders. This is rare since most elected politicians would rather toe the popular line, maintain their local heritage and language.

This alse shows how important UK is for a successful EU. This initiative may be a measure to appease the growing anti-EU sentiments among Britons.

Tolaha

That's nothing. A real shocker would be the French rooting for English as the language of EU. That would be the equivalent of Tamilians rooting for Hindi as the National language.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
English, the most unscientific and rudimentary third class language having no head or tail will be European language? Europeans specially the French and Spanish may not be able to digets it. Spanish by far is the largest spoken and French has such deep rooted rich tradition will not meet the death trap.

German is all right. They can accept English for a a few more ponds.

From Indian view point it is good but I do not think even Italians will accept it that way .

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
For India and Philippines, an EU-wide acceptance of English will be a boost to their BPO businesses! :thumb:

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
I would pay to watch look on French faces when/if this actually happens.

However, many Europeans can understand and speak each other's languages to some extent, not sure what goal 'common language = English' can achieve.

to encourage a greater sense of commonality in the continent, Europe, with its 23 official languages, needed a common tongue.
Isn't this a late realization? I mean English is already doing the job of providing common communication platform all over the world.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
I would pay to watch look on French faces when/if this actually happens.

However, many Europeans can understand and speak each other's languages to some extent, not sure what goal 'common language = English' can achieve.

Isn't this a late realization? I mean English is already doing the job of providing common communication platform all over the world.

A French will do fifty crunches rather than speak English.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Well, English itself is a Germanic language. The two languages are very similar to one another.

The French should be pissed off though. They are adamant about everything being in French, even though hardly anyone speaks it except the French themselves and some Canadians and Africans.
The French really don't think what the Québécois speak is actually French, do they?

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
This is a European issue, not an international one. The people of France, Belgium, Luxembourg and large parts of Switzerland and Netherlands speak French as their native tongue. That is far more than just the British Isles.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles